Has Anyone Done This?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has Anyone Done This?

I am not a big BP guy. I have a Uberti BP pistol that I love. Shooting it is so much fun. But I'm very basic and that's all I do. I dont even shoot with real black powder but the fake stuff.
    My question is, has anyone ever made there own black powder?
    Dont want recipes, or how toos, we dont need any rookies trying this kind of stuff. In my fantasy world it would be smart if you had the ingredients stored for if SHTF ever. It might come down to having the skill and resources to produce your own.
    Just thinking outside the box a little.

The info and ratios are out there. Just 3 main ingredients. Have plenty of alcohol on hand.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

Comment

With commercial grade BP available it's not worth your trouble. If you get the consistency of components correct then you have to worry about granulation size. 1x, 2x, 3x, 4X. Depending what you're throwing down range, cannonballs or lightweight round balls.

My recommendation is get a couple cans of 2x, 3x and one can of 4X.

As for you making it home, sure you can, my recommendation is don't do it.

From the the Mother-Ship via Tapatalk.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

Comment

On another note, if the SHIF continues you will have no percussion caps or silly 209 primers. That brings up flintlock, the only way to fly. I taught Michael T on how to make his flintlock shoot as fast as a percussion rifle.

From the the Mother-Ship via Tapatalk.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

Comment

10,000 caps #50 black powder. 1,000# lead I'm all set LOL

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk

KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY

Comment

I only have 5 flintlocker.

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk

KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY

Comment

I will not invest in a flint locker again. Missed a beautiful elk in Colorado because of one misfiring. I like basic concept of black powder hunting and bought a Knight many years ago. All stainless, composite stock, inline firing with caps. I use peep sites but with my vision back then (eventually corrected through cataract surgery) I had to use a little reticule stuck to my right lens. I actually did very well with it. I have a bunch of caps, many bottles Pyrodex, several ingots of lead and a lot of 50 cal. Sabots and
              Hornady 45 cal hollow points to go with them. The lead is for my .36 Navy Colt Revolver. Well stocked and restockable Except for the Hornady bullets probably.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Way back in the 80’s I had two BP guns, a musket and a 1860s Colt Navy. I did make my own black power, but never used it in the weapons. The testing proved it was a bit too different as to speed and smoke. It is possible for sure.

I really can’t elaborate too much beyond that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Walk a mile in my shoes, and you will be at the range.

Comment

Working...
                X