This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removal of UC & HC grips.

Many thanks to pollyb for saving this from the old site.

The question often comes up "How do I get the grip screw out?" Here you go, the poorly illustrated version. The firearm used for the photos is a UC9, others are similar.

This is the infamous screw. The grip retainer is really not a screw, as you will see.
    First, with a suitable screwdriver, about 3/16 flat blade with a good handle. You need a good grip on the screwdriver. Push the retainer straight in .200 +/- , then turn gently to the right, the reason for going right you will also see. Do not force the retainer, when it is pushed in far enough it will turn easily about 1/8 turn.

The retainer is now in this position (under your grip still). Now you can gently just with your fingers in the magwell push the sides of the grip out slightly and slide the grip off toward the rear. Don't spread the grip any more than is absolutely necessary, it can cause it to fit loose later. If it does, heat the backstrap with a hair dryer or a heat gun if you are careful and squeeze the sides together a bit to snug it back up.

This is the retainer in the normal position, the taper is what fits into the grip to hold it in place.

This is the taper in the grip.

I decided to take one for the team and remove the retainer for a pic. It's not really too big a deal unless you don't know its about to come out. The hammer spring will toss your screwdriver across the room if you aren't expecting it.

The reason you turn to the right instead of the left is clear in this photo, the short slot is where the tab normally sits, the long slot is how it it removed. If you do want to remove it, turn to the right and remove the grip first, then to the left to release the hammer spring and strut.

Reassembly is simply the reverse.
    "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Re: Removal of UC & HC grips.

This helps me a little for am a lefty and i need my mag release on the other side you also have to do this step as well right? The thing is one person on here describes it but he backs on what he says he says turn counter clockwise and then later explains dont go counterclock wise he has me confused i dont wanna mess my gun up what is the proper step to removing the mag release to the other side any help on this would be greatly appreciated also it is for the bt40ucpro thanks

Comment

Here's a link to instructions to reverse the mag catch. Note that he does caution about turning the cam for the grips CCW, but the cam for the mag catch does turn CCW.

http://www.bersachat.com/forums/show...and-HC-Pistols
      Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Turn the grip catch slot (the thing that looks like a screw) to the right. If you turn it to the left the grip catch tab will drop into the long disassembly slot and the hammer spring will push everything apart and you'll pay hell getting it back together.
        I'm no expert; I'm just, well...opinionated!

http://s884.photobucket.com/albums/ac47/p-t-max/

Comment

Thanks guys really appreciate your help as seeing this could be a major problem if done wrong. I was getting confused on his instructions but i got what hes saying now thanks again
          Last edited by grimey; 03-12-2012, 11:51 AM.

Comment

I'd edit it, but it's a sticky now and I don't see an edit button.
            I think it's one of those things, if you know what you're doing, it makes perfect sense, but if you're going at it for the first time, it's confusing.
            I get that all the time with computer support. They talk to me, like I'm a programmer. WTH?
            Don't worry about the guns, send lawyers and money.

“The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident, which everyone has decided not to see.”
            Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by Rollin Thunder View Post
              I'd edit it, but it's a sticky now and I don't see an edit button.
              PM me and I will unlock it, you can edit and I will relock.
              "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Comment

Originally posted by PHMadness View Post
                PM me and I will unlock it, you can edit and I will relock.
                If that doesn't work, please let me know. I'm not sure which groups have edit permisssions in the FAQ forum, but I'll try to help.....
                There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Bersa Chat Zone!

Comment

[QUOTE=PHMadness;19375]

The question often comes up "How do I get the grip screw out?" Here you go, the poorly illustrated version. The firearm used for the photos is a UC9, others are similar.

This is the infamous screw. The grip retainer is really not a screw, as you will see.
                  First, with a suitable screwdriver, about 3/16 flat blade with a good handle. You need a good grip on the screwdriver. Push the retainer straight in .200 +/- , then turn gently to the right, the reason for going right you will also see. Do not force the retainer, when it is pushed in far enough it will turn easily about 1/8 turn.[/OUOTE]

I am trying above instructions, but I'm having bad luck. I can push down on the screw and try to turn it right, but it wasn't turning and I so I won't try to force it. - Do I push down as far as the beast will go, or is there a sweet spot when it's pushed down to the right depth? I have tried pushing down and simultaneously attempting to turn to the right as I push down at every level, no go so far. aaaaargh
                  Last edited by Ratbag; 10-29-2012, 06:38 PM.
                  Life happens too fast for you ever to think about it. If you could just persuade people of this, but they insist on amassing information

Comment

Working...
                  X