Magnetize/Demagnetize tools and parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magnetize/Demagnetize tools and parts

If your not aware of these handy devices, they can be a huge help when you DON'T need a magnetic tip screwdriver. Or in event you find some of your small parts, i.e. extractor, firing pin etc, have developed a magnetic charge. These cost less than $10.00 at my local Ace Hardware store. demagnetize.jpg
    The meaning of life: To be happy and useful.

Another gadget is the magnetic tape erasers for reel to reels. About $20 on fleabay.

Comment

I've always just used a car battery and wrapped wire around the end of screwdrivers etc, leaving about 12" of wire on each end of the coils. Hold the end furthest from the tip to the positive terminal and TAP the other wire to the negative terminal. Do this about 5-7 times and you've magnetized the tip of the tool. Remove the coil and test it. If it needs more magnetizing, repeat the procedure.
      The TAPPING part is important. It only needs to be a split second. And yes, it will spark. That is OK. And please hold on to the insulation if you do this. You don't need to burn your fingertips on a hot wire
      Last edited by TuxAir; 03-31-2021, 04:08 AM.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

Comment

Tux, I thought you snuck your tools into a magnetic resonance imaging machine and turn it up to 3 Tesla. If that's not strong enough try one of these.

Sorry, Letereat I'm not trying to hijack your thread

NF.jpeg
        In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

Comment

That looks like the Death Star

Comment

I'm sure you know it's part of the new Nuclear fusion accelerator scheduled for 2023, Talk about a magnetic field.
            In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

Comment

Is that what that is?!
              I have two of those in the basement!
              Michael T. 6/15/46 - 2/26/17 RIP+

Comment

Originally posted by Reginald Carstairs View Post
                I'm sure you know it's part of the new Nuclear fusion accelerator scheduled for 2023, Talk about a magnetic field.
                More power! more_power.jpg

Comment

Working...
                X