I love old computers......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love old computers......

Agatha bought yet another "dead" computer home yesterday. IT could not fix it and said to trash it. The old thing is a 2010 model Dell with an IC3 processor and 3 gb ram and windows 7.
    Well the battery was dead- of course, and the hard drive was bad. I plugged it in to a power source and popped in a linux disk and fired that thing up. She cranked right up. Everything worked except the hd. I had an old one in my junk box.....so in it goes and Ubuntu Mate 16.04 is installing right now.
    Yep...I like old computers.....in fact - all 4 computers we now have are junk that no one wanted. And they all work fine. And thanks to me dabbling around in Linux a little......I don't have any windows problems to worry with.
    I encourage you older folks that have time on your hands.... pittle around with Linux and old computers, especially laptops. You'd be surprised at how cheap you can have a nice machine.
    Certified Armed Infidel

I've got an old (prior to 2009) Dell laptop that has a broken screen. I hook it up to a monitor and it works just fine. Runs Windows 7. Those guys haven't threatened to throw core kernel developers out for expressing their right to free speech like Linux has. Heck, even Linus left the team over that flack. And those guys are talking about pulling their copyrighted code.
    Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

I believe Linux is too wide spread and open for that to become a real issue. Maybe with some distros? I know that Canonical (ubuntu) has or had some business with microsoft?... I don't really get into that part of things.
      Whether Ubuntu, Mint, Zorin, Manjaro.....et.al....... as long as it works good and is free- I'm happy.
      Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

BSD. FTW!

(No worries. I love me some penguin too. Slackware guy.)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

Comment

Yeah, I try to stick with the EASY ones. I don't know how to type code or command line.... and don't care to learn it.
          I like the menu- point and click with the mouse.
          Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

I like Cinnamon with my Mint.
            Genius by birth, Slacker by choice.

Comment

I use Dell Latitude laptops exclusively. They are reliable business class computers with 3-yr. warranties although I have only had 1 hinge go for warranty service in 15 years. The latest units I purchased all have 256GB SSD, 16GB RAM and Intel i7 processors. I need fast units that are Windows compatible because of some necessary programs I use daily in my business. I also use Xilisoft to format videos for clients and there is no computer designed that is too fast when it comes to video editing.

I like the spec sheet of Dell Precision computers. They are expandable up to 32GB of RAM, but are not that mobile for everyday use. They are large and heavy for a laptop. My main office is located in my car, so I need something like a 14" Latitude for everyday use.

Comment

Wow.... those things have some horse power! If you ever need to junk any of them- remember me!
                2 of these I have are the Dell Vostro 3700. The one I use does have a broken hinge... but it stays on my desk and doesn't move- so no problem. The other 2- an Asus K52 and a Toshiba Satellite all old from 09 or 10 with i3 and 3 or 4 gb ram. I don't run any specialty software- so nothing special is required. Just internet, email, videos, and face book kinda junk for Agatha. Windows 10 for her (she uses 10 at work), Ubuntu Mate on 2, and Linux Mint Mate on one. Never had any issues with the Linux. Well, maybe one issue- trying to decide which I like best- Mint or Ubuntu?
                Sorry.....didn't mean to ramble so.
                Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

Do you want my commodore 64 or Timex Sinclair 1000? Not for sale though I keep them for show and tell along with a rotary dial phone. I learned "Basic" on the C-64 I thought I was King $hit
                  In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Reginald Carstairs View Post
                    Do you want my commodore 64 or Timex Sinclair 1000? Not for sale though I keep them for show and tell along with a rotary dial phone. I learned "Basic" on the C-64 I thought I was King $hit
                    Hah!..... no thanks.... need a P4 processor minimum.

I tried to learn basic...........just could not get the hang of it. Eventually bought a XT with a 20mg hd and First Choice loaded on it (about $1300). That thing was soooo cool. That was early 80's I think?

(Edit: That XT was a clone -not an IBM, put together locally here in Mobile by Computer Broker. I think that guy retired rich.)
                    Last edited by brojohn; 11-04-2018, 06:30 PM.
                    Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

Still have my Apple //e. Just ordered an ethernet card for it so I can connect to my home network.

Comment

Originally posted by LDM View Post
                        Still have my Apple //e. Just ordered an ethernet card for it so I can connect to my home network.
                        Now thats going back a ways..... I'm surprised you can still get use out of it?
                        Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

I had an Apple 2e as I recall. Put big 1200 bps modem on top of it with shielding. Cant believe older one (I assume) still functional. I took mine to Norway around 1979 or 78.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This reminds me of a mod I did back in the day on an old Mac Classic toaster. I had gutted it completely and installed an 8" LCD screen and a mini PC motherboard (mini itx form factor I think). I set up the hard drive for dual boot with Windows and linux and had ethernet and a usb port. It worked quite well as a desktop mp3 player and also as a small linux server. I later sold it. It was a fun build. Lots of hot glue in that mod.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

Comment

I thought this was an English speaking board. You guys are speaking some kinda foreign language.
                              Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Working...
                              X