X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• groberts
    started a topic Texas LTC

Texas LTC

Passed my Texas License To Carry class yesterday. The shooting part included 10 rounds at 15 yards. And they wouldn't let me use my Crimson Trace laser. Even with my progressive lens glasses I had a very hard time getting a sight picture with the white dots on the BT380. I'm glad I had already passed the shooting after 3 and 7 yards.
    No picture: they don't let you keep the target.

• mitchr
    replied
    Originally posted by groberts View Post

Even without cutting my thumb this grey haired old guy was the last one to reload each time too. That 6th round in a 7 round mag is a bugger when you loader is in storage 200 miles away. And the instructor let everyone know.
    That's one reason why I shot my full size 9mm Bersa, 17 round capacity & knew we'd only be loading 5 rounds at a time. Still hurt though.

Leave a comment:

• groberts
    replied
    Originally posted by mitchr View Post
    My last qualification came a day after cutting the end of my thumb, making it really touchy about pushing the rounds into the mag. I notice I was the last one to get reloaded each time & everyone looking at me. I guess they were wondering about this old gray haired guy trying to qualify to carry a pistol.
    Even without cutting my thumb this grey haired old guy was the last one to reload each time too. That 6th round in a 7 round mag is a bugger when you loader is in storage 200 miles away. And the instructor let everyone know.

Leave a comment:

• Rev_Les
    replied
    As is with my luck, I'm STILL fighting the state over my LTC, from over A YEAR ago. Part of that has to do with me moving and not having a permanent address for so long. If they had done their part without dropping the ball in the first place, it wouldn't have been an issue. My wife got hers within a week of filing the paperwork.

Leave a comment:

• mitchr
    replied
    My last qualification came a day after cutting the end of my thumb, making it really touchy about pushing the rounds into the mag. I notice I was the last one to get reloaded each time & everyone looking at me. I guess they were wondering about this old gray haired guy trying to qualify to carry a pistol.

Leave a comment:

• groberts
    replied
    Originally posted by BuckRimfire View Post
    ...edit: looked up the answer to my own question:
    https://txconcealedcarry.com/range-qualification/

Are there people who fail this???....
    Yes people do fail but not many. The instructor told us a blind guy passed. Not just legally blind but seeing eye dog blind. And a 97 year old's target is on the wall of the place I went. Passing score is 175 out of 250. Hardest, and dumbest, part is 15 yards especially when you have bad eyesight. Plus you can fail for not following the rules like clearing you gun and putting it down before being told to do so. I had a fairly hardass instructor.

Leave a comment:

• gun sane
    replied
    Next thing ya know, no one will be able to get or keep their license unless they comply with the lawyer talk inscribed on these guns.

Leave a comment:

• mitchr
    replied
    In regard to marksmanship, the Texas test is a joke. Anyone, without any practice, should be able to pass it without even using the sights. I am told that it turns up some folks who don't have a clue about loading their pistol. Probably the reason that, originally, if you qualified with a revolver, you were only allowed to carry a revolver. If with a semi-auto, you could carry either. They've dropped that rule, however.

Leave a comment:

• BuckRimfire
    replied
    What is the time limit and target type?

There's no test for CPL here except background check and "passing" the credit card test. I almost wish there was a range score requirement, since I would enjoy shooting it. However, my bet would be that any changes to CPL law by the legislature would be to eliminate them entirely, not impose a classroom or shooting requirement.

edit: looked up the answer to my own question:
    https://txconcealedcarry.com/range-qualification/

Are there people who fail this??? My wife could have passed with my MkII the first time she went to the range, or with a rented Glock the second time! Of course, she had a great teacher...and, for once, she actually listened to what he had to say.

Leave a comment:

• groberts
    replied
    Thank you all. This is my third. My first was in Connecticut which was required just to be able to handle a gun in a gun store. But the class was a couple of hours and the shooting part was one round from a 22 revolver and 6 rounds from a 9mm G----k. My second was from Oklahoma. That was 6 hours in class and 50 rounds at a target at 5 yards. They let me use the laser so much better placement.
    I have to stop moving around so much.
    BTW, all three states said any prescription glasses were ok, didn't have to be safety glasses. The main thing is to keep a shell from hitting your eyes. But mine are safety glasses anyway.

Leave a comment:

• mitchr
    replied
    Congratulations. Wearing safety glasses over my regular glasses is what gave me trouble & when I had my cataract surgery, told them to install lens so that I could shoot without glasses.

Leave a comment:

• clag39
    replied
    Congrats Groberts..!! May you never have the need to draw it ...

Leave a comment:

• north tex
    replied
    Good going
    I can not use progressive lens glasses. Couldn't even walk good with them. They kept telling me I would get used to them but I didn't. I went back to trifocals. Gives me 3 ranges of focus. One for reading, one for auto dashboard and arms length shooting, and then the longer range. The middle one gives good focus on the sights but leaves the target "fuzzy". No problem putting the sights on center mass.

Leave a comment:

• TuxAir
    replied
    Congratulations! welcome to the club. Remember you "CANT". Carry Always Never Tell. Know your Do's and Don'ts with respect the laws in Texas and States you travel.

Leave a comment:

• gun sane
    replied
    A big congrats, groberts! Welcome to the 2A Club... I'm always happy to hear when a God-given right is finally approved by mortal man. The gummint is quite often a stickler for rules. I wonder why they are so particular when the Americans....and the Texicans....first gained freedom by kicking some foreign butt. Nowadays those foreigners get rights we had to win.

Rant off.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X