Chevy or Ford?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chevy or Ford?

Ok, this is probably for the over 50 members. Growing up there were not as many car choices as there are today. I think the Japanese models were there but real men drove either some type of Chevy or Ford. I turned 16 and got my license in 1976. My dad handed down to me a 1965 Chevy impala super sport. It was a clunker but I didnt complain. Ran and rolled just fine. So I was a Chevy guy by default not choice. After a couple years I was able to get a Vega. The Impala was better lol.
    so were you a Ford or Chevy guy? What was your first car and how did you come about it.
    I remember the Cutlas was the big deal car back then. But no kid was driving one.
    oh memory lane seems to get longer the older I get

I got my first car in 1965 as I started to college--a '57 Ford Fairlane six-banger for $300. We're talking bare bones driving....practically no pep and several problems, the biggest being the electrical system. I converted to a '68 Chevy Impala when I got out of the Navy in 1970. It was my uncle's company car and got me around good enough. Two years later I bought my first new car--the Ford Mustang II Fiasco. The clutch plate went out at 22,000 miles. A Toyota Corolla soon followed. Somewhere along the line I drove a '72 Caddy Coupe de Ville, which I let go for cash to pay bills. The best American car I've ever owned was a 1983 Olds Cutlass Supreme Brougham, which unfortunately was popular with neighborhood carjackers. With the exception of a Chevy and a Ford pickup, I've driven Nippon and Korean cars ever since.
    Last edited by gun sane; 05-14-2019, 11:33 PM.
    Never give the devil a ride. He will always want to drive.

Comment

My first- 52 Ford 4-door Custom. Cost $40. Actually it never ran, but I tinkered with it about a year. Auto, flathead v8.
      Next up 56 Chevy 2 door HT. Cost $200- excellent car. Drove it a couple years, finally sold it.
      After high school and I had my first real job, Dodge Polaris, then I bought a brand new 72 Ford F-100 pick up- $2650. Drove it several years, then a 73 Grand Torino, GMC 1500, Accura TL, Taurus, and on and on......now 2011 Honda CRV, and a 05 Volvo wagon..... I am sure i left some out.
      Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

JamesT, I had been driving for 21 years when you got your license!

Can't remember the year 'cause I drove the family car for a while, but I'm guessing 1956 & it was a '48 Chevy for $250. It belonged to a mechanic, so it was in good shape when I got it. When I traded it off a '54 Chevy, I would pull into the gas station (full service back then) & tell them to fill it up with oil & check the gas!
        Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

1960, bought an old 1950 flat head 6 Ford from an old black man who had it up on blocks in his front yard. Put 4 retreads, a used battery, filled it with $.25 gasoline, Changed the oil with re-refined and drove it home. Paid a whopping $50.00. Oh, bought a case of fire engine red spray paint and 6 cans of white for the top and racing stripe.

My mom and dad were gone to M. D. Anderson and I was 14 years old. Mom had just had her first cobalt radiation treatment. Well, when they got home from Houston, she was livid and took my new ride, sold it to a returned college student who promptly took it out and rolled it.

I got to use it several days. You have to realize the town of Sundown, TX was about 2 miles long with a blinking caution light right in the middle of town. We woild cruise Main for hours, showing off our rides. For several days I was a local hero of the high school Freshman class.

GOOD DAYS.....

Now, I drive two Hyundai's. One a 2008 Tiburon and the other a 2011 Genesis.
          W.W.MT.D-----WHAT WOULD MICHAEL T DO?
          NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Comment

first, 67 impala 350 2bbl with a big back seat that these young ones will never understand the importance of.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

First was a 1954 Ford 2DR 2 speed automatic. Had a bunch of Fords, several Chevys, an Olds a Merc and perhaps my fav was a 1993 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor.
              Attached Files
              Michael T. 6/15/46 - 2/26/17 RIP+

Comment

Our first Nash Ramble was a 53. Put 150000 miles on it. Very little car but 3 teenage boys could sit in the back seat. Then we got the 59 Rambler Cross Country Station Wagon. By then they had changed the brand to Rambler from Nash. Put 160000 on it. She was a straight 6 but would still do an honest 125. Blew away the Fords and Chevys in a 1/4 mile - they couldn't believe it. Then we go the 64 770 Classic Sedan. Our first automatic. She shifted out of first at 45 and hit 80 in a 1/4, still in second gear. 289 V8 (I think it was 289 but may have been 287) Her only problem was the rear axle was only as big as my thumb and it would break easily. Dad could figure out why. She went to 190000 before they got the 69. By then I was out of the house. So Ramblers were our cars.
                Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

But we had Ford trucks. My favorite was the 40 F100.
                  Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

Yeah, my pick-up is a 72 Ranger DLX F100. Ford blue on blue.
                    W.W.MT.D-----WHAT WOULD MICHAEL T DO?
                    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Comment

Well, this could take a while. My first was a 63 Plymouth Valiant, slant six with three on the tree. Put a Hurst mystery shifter in it and was cool. Followed up with a 60 Volvo PV544 and that was great also. Next began my need for speed phase with a 65 Mustang fastback with a 289 HiPo 271 horsepower and solid lifters. Worked in a speed shop as a helper for a summer and they rebuilt it for me, had too much horsepower for a teenager but we both survived. Next was a trip to Southeast Asia for 16 months, but on my return I picked up a new 71 Boss 351 Mustang and returned to speed. Waiting to go back to Southeast Asia when they signed the cease fire so I bought a 73 240Z, more speed. Anyway, USAA my insurance company said I am on my 49th car and there have been Porsches, Mercedes, VW's, more assorted Fords, a Peugeot and a bunch of others. Now I drive a Toyota Highlander, and a 2005 Ford Escape. Underneath it all I'm a Fast Ford guy who doesn't quite have the need for speed anymore, I'm taking my time getting where I'm going. I see a lot more that way!

Comment

My first car was a 48 Studebaker, so can't complain about other vehicles. But I have had both Chevy and Ford cars and Pickup trucks. Never a major problem with either. My choice of a Pickup is a Ford. Can't say why, just a personal choice.
                        TO BE UNARMED IS TO BE A VICTIM

Comment

Originally posted by russinator View Post
                          First was a 1954 Ford 2DR 2 speed automatic.
                          Same here -- paid $100 for it & it only had 40,000 miles on it.

Have had many different cars over the years. 64 Chevelle with 3 spd/OD on the tree w/ 283 was one of the best for longevity. Couple Ranger PU's along the way that also made many miles, but not my favorites. Several 71-73 Olds Cutlass -- they were great old cars -- you could make a "muscle" car out of them without the expense of a Mustang or Chevelle, etc. Have pretty much abandoned the US stuff for severe lack of quality/longevity. 2 Japanese & 1 Taiwan now. Even the Toyota's & the Hondas actually made in Japan are of much higher quality than the ones manufactured/assembled in the US = the reduced quality & pride that we used to have in our US manufacturing. Technology, Hybrids, Electrics & possibly hydrogen is/will be the wave of the future. Even out here in logging red-neck country, there are at least a dozen Prii -- longevity, reliability, cost/mile trumps all other factors when you are putting 30,000 miles/ year commuting into the city!

1) Never point (aim) a firearm at anything you do not plan to KILL !
                          2) The only safe firearm is one with action open !

Comment

When I was a young man I was a diehard GM fan. After 35 years in the automotive and racing industry, I no longer have any particular brand loyalty. Some I would prefer to own over others.
                            As far as trucks go, I tend to own Fords, I currently have an F350. I am much more a fuel purist than a brand purist. Trucks should be turbo diesels. Race cars should be alcohol or nitro. Gasoline is for sedans and mowing lawns.
                            "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Comment

First was a 1949 Ford 2 door with 6 cylinder, 3 on the tree with lake pipes and missing drivers window for $13. Drove for several months before I upgraded. I should have just bit the bullet and replaced the window!

Comment

Working...
                              X