Browsers: what do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Browsers: what do you use?

Last night Firefox had a banner on the bottom of the page asking for donations to fight "President Trump's disinformation campaign". With that I need to dump them. What browsers are y'all using? Been researching all morning but the only one that was recommended to me was Opera, BUT that is based in Singapore. So far Brave seems to be the most likely candidate, but I need some outside/reliable opinions.
    Last edited by north tex; 01-09-2021, 09:27 AM.
    Sorry looks back.
    Worry looks around.
    Faith looks up.

Are you positive it was firefox that posted the banner or the site you were on? I never saw anything like that and I use Firefox.

Certainly not defending firefox.....just have never seen a any ad on the browser- but many on the sites I visit. However- I do use an ad-blocker.

Edit: But to answer your question- Opera is the only one I have considered lately. Of course there is Chrome, Midori, and Vivaldi. I have tries vivaldi in the past but it was too complicated for a dummy like me.
    Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

I think you may have seen content displayed on a page shown in Firefox and not the Firefox application itself.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

Comment

Yes, I'm sure it was Firefox. The banner basically said help Firefox keep the internet free from disinformation by Pres Trump by donating to them. I clicked on the banner and it took me to a Mozilla page but it didn't let me comment. I saw it only once yesterday evening and this morning Firefox's comment contact was down "to improve" the system. I had other Firefox banners across the same area in the past but usually they were related to updates or improvements. May have been a rouge Mozilla employee or hacker posting. If it wasn't official they should say so. Right now I want nothing to do with them
        Sorry looks back.
        Worry looks around.
        Faith looks up.

Comment

Well, I just might invest a little more time into looking for another browser....been thinking about a new browser and perhaps changing to another OS too. Been using Linux Mint for about a year now. may go back to Ubuntu or something else.
          Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

Huh. How about that? Never experienced anything similar to that with FF before.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

Comment

There has been a lot of weird crap happening around the country last couple days-
              Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

I'm using Opera and like it so far. And Singapore is not a part of China....yet.
                Never give the devil a ride. He will always want to drive.

Comment

I'm using TOR to dig deep for information you won't get on your mainstream internet browsers.

For basic search engines Duck Duck Go and StartPage.

From the the Mother-Ship via Tapatalk.
                  Last edited by Reginald Carstairs; 01-10-2021, 01:54 PM.
                  In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

Comment

I have used Pale Moon before but only really used it to play games on POGO. Don't play on POGO anymore so have not used Pale Moon for some time.

Les

Comment

Originally posted by gun sane View Post
                      I'm using Opera and like it so far. And Singapore is not a part of China....yet.
                      Not nit picking but this from wiki about Opera: "In 2016, the company changed ownership when a group of Chinese investors purchased the web browser, consumer business, and brand of Opera Software ASA. The remaining assets were renamed as the Otello Corporation "

They say that the Opera Browser is still run out of Oslo, Norway but owned by Chinese.

Okay thanks everyone I've got some research to do. Mozilla's comment system is still down for improvements...!!!! I'd like to be able to verify what I saw was a corporate policy..
                      Sorry looks back.
                      Worry looks around.
                      Faith looks up.

Comment

My question would be, why do they need donations??? Sounds like just another sneaky $$$ making scheme. I'm sure they'll get a lot of cnn, nbc, abc & cbs fans to fall for it.
                        Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Originally posted by north tex View Post

Not nit picking but this from wiki about Opera: "In 2016, the company changed ownership when a group of Chinese investors purchased the web browser, consumer business, and brand of Opera Software ASA. The remaining assets were renamed as the Otello Corporation "
                          Hmmm. Thanks, north tex! Maybe RC should tell us more about TOR.
                          Never give the devil a ride. He will always want to drive.

Comment

Here is their official declaration of war on Pres Trump:

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2021/0...deplatforming/

"
                            Changing these dangerous dynamics requires more than just the temporary silencing or permanent removal of bad actors from social media platforms."
                            Sorry looks back.
                            Worry looks around.
                            Faith looks up.

Comment

I decided to go with Brave as the browser with Duckduckgo for a search engine. Brave was started by a guy that broke off of Mozilla several years ago. It's still a silicon valley operation. Only hitch was after I changed I couldn't get on this site. TuxAir guided me through it. Something happened with my system here.. So far so good. BUT.... their news feed seems to be straight off of CNN. We'll see how it goes.
                              Sorry looks back.
                              Worry looks around.
                              Faith looks up.

Comment

Working...
                              X