Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are all you Texans doing in the Frigid Weather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't even get out of my driveway right now. Pickup has the clearance but the tires are worn. Cars have the tires but not enough ground clearance. Cars would have to plow snow all the way down the driveway and then the street is still pretty deep. No where to go any way. From what I'm hearing the store shelves are mostly bare.
    We have had no mail deliveries this week, Fed ex and UPS are not going to residential areas because of the snow depth.
    Sorry looks back.
    Worry looks around.
    Faith looks up.

Comment

You guys don’t get this kind of storm very often so you don’t have the equipment to take care of it. I was on a cross country trip on my Suzuki back around 1980 and I spent 3 days in Ozona waiting for the roads to be cleared. They threw everything they had at it including road graders on I-10. It was a cold ride getting out of there over the next few days!

Comment

All that crap weather Texas sent us has finally abated. Expecting above freezing temps later today.
        It wasn't so much the weather that Texas sent us. It is that they got all the idiots on the road here totally frazzled.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

Comment

Rural areas get no respect! They are pretty good, around here, getting main roads, highways open, but no time for our little podunk area! There's a big dip in our little road & I suspect that a guy could get stuck in the low area, unless he has proper tires, etc. The snow we get is always wet, so underneath, it is ice! I also imagine the Hwy 271, going into Gladewater is clear, but not the FM leading to it. When stopped to check for traffic, vehicle is headed uphill & getting out onto a busy highway from a dead stop on ice could be kinda iffy. Checked weather forecast yesterday & I guess should be able to get out about Sunday. Marty has a couple meds ready to pick up, but she's not out, so only thing I'm missin' is my eggs for breakfast! From what I'm hearing from other folks, Marty & I have absolutely nothing to fret about.
          Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

We have two sets of water lines in outside walls, refrigerator and washer. Both froze before the the rolling blackouts. But the blackouts have been going on for a week now and it's frustrating. I work at home and when I have power the office doesn't so I can never get documents or email to/from work. I used to live in Connecticut and bought a 3500W generator when Sandy went through there a few years ago but never used it until now. Problem is no one wants to start/stop the generator in the middle of the night when it's almost zero so we keep it running all night. But it won't run that long with the frig on it. So we decided it was more important to keep the 2yo grandson warm than the milk super cold. Seems to work out ok. I know two people who have lived in Dallas area for almost 30 years and they have never seen anything like this. Below zero, snow just keeps coming, not much but even a little causes accidents when you are not used to it. I grew up in snow country so the dimwits who drive 30MPH in a dry lane on the highway just because the one next to them has snow just p--s me off. I told my wife the other day as I'm driving 50 in a lane that is half dry and half snow that dry half keeps the truck going straight. Just watch the 18-wheelers.
            Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

Stories of getting out in sub zero weather to set generator up & start it, then finding out it won't start, is one of the reasons I have decided against getting one. Another is $$ cost, compared to what I've actually lost over the years because of not having one. If I could afford $thousands for a whole house, automatic generator & a huge propane tank to run it on, for convenience sake, I probably would.

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

We are having a heat wave here in Michigan! The sun is shining and it is 38 degrees! With a little luck we may even hit 40 today! Yesterday was the first day over freezing that we have seen in about 3 weeks..... maybe spring is coming ... the sun is moving north every day and we can feel the warmth!

Comment

Originally posted by Pond Scum View Post
                  ... the sun is moving north every day and we can feel the warmth!
                  Stupid sun.....everybody else is moving to the South.
                  Never give the devil a ride. He will always want to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by gun sane View Post

Stupid sun.....everybody else is moving to the South.
                    We are Very happy the sun is moving north..... it is amazing how fast it goes. Here is a picture of sunset February 20th. If you look toward the right of the shoreline you can see a cut in the trees ... that is the channel into Lake Michigan and it is nearly directly west of us.... that means that on the equinox the sun will set over the channel .... less than 4 weeks from now.

Sunset Feb 20 2021.jpg

Comment

Nice view!

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

Comment

Here all this time I thought the earth tilted, now I find out the sun is heading north. LOL

Why do I feel a bus coming?

From the the Mother-Ship via Tapatalk.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

Comment

Warming here last two days, also. Started warming a bit Sunday & roads became passable, just had to watch out for the "wet" spots. Today, completely dry & in low 60s!

I fear I am missing some mail! We get mail every day, although a lot of it is junk mail. Didn't get any all last week because of the icy roads, so I expected a wheel barrow full Monday. Marty got one small package & 2 pieces of junk mail!! Today, only one Dish TV ad! I did get email confirmation of a credit card payment that I mailed Saturday, the day before the storm hit.Don't know about my light bill & VA checks, yet.

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Originally posted by TuxAir View Post
                            Nice view!
                            Yes. We are very fortunate. My parents bought the cottage in 1978. We remodeled it in 2012 after Dad died and moved in full time about 4 years ago. We love it out here. Good values, small town, friendly people. Grand Rapids has been a good city but it has been overtaken by liberals.

Comment

Working...
                            X