Motorcycle Season Arrives in Michigan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorcycle Season Arrives in Michigan!

I have been tuning up the Grandpa Wing (GL1500) and the GS1100 so I figured I would start a motorcycle thread. I miss our old friend Mason.

Both bikes got new plugs and I synchronized the carbs on both. The Wing was close but I noticed that the 2, 4, & 6 plugs were had some excess carbon build up. The left carb was pulling just over 2" Hg more vacuum. Brought it in to less that 1/2" and the bike is running great. The GS1100 had the 3 cylinders with the adjustable carbs with carbon on the sparks. One was more than 3" Hg rich! I don't know how that happened but I brought them all in close ...

The good news is that both bikes are running great!

Just to keep me humble at the start of the summer I just watched a couple of Motorcycle crash video's on YouTube. A combination of riders doing dumb stuff and/or going too fast with some not expecting other bikers or cars to do dumb stuff. I need to keep reminding myself to always expect the other drivers to do the worst possible thing. Sigh. OH, and I have to keep reminding myself NOT to do dumb stuff.

Sue has been bugging me for years to get a CanAm Spyder 3 wheeler. I bought the Gold Wing instead. The last 2 years she said she wanted to drive a 3 wheeler and CanAm came out with the Ryker. The Ryker is smaller than the Spyder and fits her well. You don't put your feet down, stability control, one brake, CVT transmission so no shifting ..... she could do it. She wanted me to just buy one but I said, "Not until you go to school and learn to ride it!" Well, low and behold she put her name on a list in January and now she is scheduled for school in mid-June. If she passes it appears I'll be spending some money I don't have. I guess that won't be the first time for that!

I'm looking forward to a better 2021 for biking and just plain living!

Way to go Sue! Send me photos when you get your new CanAm.

I even like the spider, my problem is first I got to learn to drive an automobile.

From the the Mother-Ship via Tapatalk.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

Comment

It's just not summer until I start hearing BBBBBBRRRRRRAAAAAWWWWWWWPPPPPP going past my house every 20 minutes. Whenever my girlfriend complains I call her a communist.

Comment

I've never been able to get past the Princess' argument: "If I wanted a biker for a husband, I'd have married Peter Fonda."
        Never give the devil a ride. He will always want to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by gun sane View Post
          I've never been able to get past the Princess' argument: "If I wanted a biker for a husband, I'd have married Peter Fonda."
          If your princess had married Peter Fonda she couldn't throw a veteran's party. Her Sister-in-Law, Jane might show up and it would be party over.

I'm definitely not "fonda" her.

Comment

If she married Peter Fonda she would be a widow right now .... Fonda kicked the bucket in 2019.

Comment

It's been a few years since I've been on two wheels. Finally broke down 2 years ago and sold both my dirt and street bike.

One thing I always tried to do while riding was to keep an "escape route" in case someone else on the road did something stupid. Especially at red lights. Never got close enough to the person in front of me that I couldn't take off left or right if I had to.

Also, I see MANY bikes doing this..... or should I say NOT doing this.... when coming to a stop, even before I intend to slow down or down shift, I would apply the brake (usually rear, but sometimes front) just enough to light up the brake light. I see so many bikers, as well as people in vehicles with a stick shift, downshift and often never touch the brakes until they are almost stopped!! That drives me crazy!!!!

Ya all stay safe and alert out there!!

NoDestination-01.JPG
              (3) Bersa Thunder .380's
              ≡≡≡1- Nickel Plated≡≡≡
              ≡≡≡≡2- Duo Tone ≡≡≡≡
              ≡≡≡3- Blued Deluxe≡≡≡
              <And a 9rd mag for each>

تناول المزيد من لحم الخنزير المقدد

Comment

Originally posted by Pond Scum View Post
                If she married Peter Fonda she would be a widow right now .... Fonda kicked the bucket in 2019.
                The wrong one died!

Comment

Originally posted by Hyperbuzzin View Post

One thing I always tried to do while riding was to keep an "escape route" in case someone else on the road did something stupid.
                  That is always a good plan. I am trying to work on Sue as we are driving in the car what to watch out for riding a bike. She can't count on people seeing her like in the Big White Suburban. Plus some car drivers think they can pull out in front of bikes even when they do see them. I keep emphasizing that you always need to plan for the car drivers and some bike riders to do the most idiotic thing possible and have a plan to avoid the chaos.

One of my closest calls ever came 3 years ago .... I was running 65 - 70 in a left lane with an exit lane to my left ..... a car dove over from the far right crossing 3 open lanes going about 35 - 40. I hit the brakes so hard on the Wing that I even had the front wheel skid a bit...... I had less than a foot to spare between my front tire and their back bumper. I saw her way over in the right lane but I never ever dreamed she would try for the left exit while running so slow. Silly me. Sigh. I'm glad that Sue's Ryker has only one brake to hit and an ABS system.

Comment

I am trying to work on Sue as we are driving in the car what to watch out for riding a bike. She can't count on people seeing her like in the Big White Suburban. Plus some car drivers think they can pull out in front of bikes even when they do see them. I keep emphasizing that you always need to plan for the car drivers and some bike riders to do the most idiotic thing possible and have a plan to avoid the chaos.
                    Exactly!! Keep her expecting the unexpected!!

One of my closest calls ever came 3 years ago .... I was running 65 - 70 in a left lane with an exit lane to my left ..... a car dove over from the far right crossing 3 open lanes going about 35 - 40. I hit the brakes so hard on the Wing that I even had the front wheel skid a bit...... I had less than a foot to spare between my front tire and their back bumper. I saw her way over in the right lane but I never ever dreamed she would try for the left exit while running so slow. Silly me. Sigh. I'm glad that Sue's Ryker has only one brake to hit and an ABS system.
                    Some people!!!

(3) Bersa Thunder .380's
                    ≡≡≡1- Nickel Plated≡≡≡
                    ≡≡≡≡2- Duo Tone ≡≡≡≡
                    ≡≡≡3- Blued Deluxe≡≡≡
                    <And a 9rd mag for each>

تناول المزيد من لحم الخنزير المقدد

Comment

Not getting too close at red lights is a good plan for cars also.
                      Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Originally posted by Hyperbuzzin View Post

Some people!!!
                        I deserve a spanking too .... I should have been expecting a stupid maneuver and been prepared. It was a good reminder for me with only some rubber burned off the tires.... and I got new tires last summer so all is good now!

Comment

I only rode a road bike in Denver back in the early 70s, it was a Triumph 500 Daytona.. Sold it for two 250cc dirt bikes to use at my mountain camp. I ran those with my wife for ten years. I grew to HATE cactus.

Comment

Closing in on 70, and had pride in no street bike accidents. Last August I was on the old Goldwing headed home - about 10 miles out. 2 lane country road with a farm truck approaching over a small rise that suddenly had a SUV passing in a no passing zone. No place for me but a little ride in the grain field. The lady was nice enough to come back to see if I was dead as I was picking it up. No damage, but I couldn't talk to her without expressing what I thought of her eyesight and driving skill. Headlight on bright and driving lights on and she said she never saw me until I left the road!

Comment

Glad there was no damage Joe. I guess you can't predict every stupid driver and accidents will happen. Riding has risks but I'm still going to keep riding while I still have the gumption!

Comment

Working...
                              X