Former state House Speaker Craig DeRoche arraigned on gun charge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Former state House Speaker Craig DeRoche arraigned on gun charge

Less than two weeks after he was sentenced to six months probation on an impaired driving charge, former state House Speaker Craig DeRoche was arrested early Sunday morning after a family member called and said he was intoxicated and carrying a gun.

“We got a call from a family member,” said Novi Deputy Police Chief Thomas Lindberg. “But no shots were fired and no one was injured.”

According to Novi Police Department reports, DeRoche’s wife told police that she was out of town and concerned for her three children because DeRoche was caring for them but sounded intoxicated on the phone when she called. She also said that one of her children told her he kept falling off his bike when they went for a bike ride.

She called a friend and asked him to get DeRoche out of the house and then her mother to look after the children.

The friend told police that DeRoche did come over to his house, but got upset and left. While the friend rode a bike alongside DeRoche as he walked home trying to convince him to stay at his house, the friend also called police. When DeRoche saw police lights approaching, he ran into a wooded area and police couldn’t immediately find him, the report said.

Shortly later, the mother-in-law told police that DeRoche broke into his locked home, retrieve a loaded, 40-caliber handgun from a safe in the home’s master bedroom and walked into one of his children’s bedrooms.

He left the bedroom and his mother-in-law convinced him to turn the gun over to her, the report said. He removed the magazine from the gun, handed it over and the mother-in-law, who hid it in the laundry room.

When police arrived shortly before 1 a.m. Sunday, DeRoche was holding one of his children and told police he had done nothing wrong. They were able to convince him to put down the child before arresting him.

Police took DeRoche to Providence Park Hospital in Novi to administer a blood test, which revealed a blood alcohol level of 0.13. A .08 level is considered legally intoxicated. He was charged with possessing a gun while intoxicated, a 93-day misdemeanor.

DeRoche was held overnight in the Novi Police Department’s lock-up and released Sunday morning. He was arraigned on the charge in Novi’s 52-1 District Court this morning and released on a $1,000 personal bond. A pre-trial scheduling conference will be held at 9 a.m. July 7.

The new charge is on top of the impaired driving charge DeRoche pleaded guilty to in April. It stems from a February incident in Saline in which police found DeRoche stumbling in the snow after ditching his car and a duffle bag containing an open bottle of vodka.

On June 15, he was sentenced to six months probation, and given a 92-day suspended jail sentence. He also was ordered to pay $1,060 in fines, costs and reimbursements and ordered to refrain from alcohol or controlled substances, attend AA meetings and submit to random drug and alcohol screenings.

If found guilty of the new charge, DeRoche also would have to face charges of violating his probation on the first charge and possibly have to serve the full jail sentence of the first charge, said former Macomb County Prosecutor Carl Marlinga.
    “The standard and the correct prosecution request is to ask for that jail time in response to anyone who violates the trust of their probation or suspended sentence,” he said.

DeRoche was elected to the state House in 2002 and served three terms, leaving in 2008. He was the House Speaker from 2005 to 2006. DeRoche is in the insurance business.

DeRoche could not be reached for comment.

Link: http://www.freep.com/article/2010062...-on-gun-charge
    “Big bullets let in a lot of air and let out a lot of blood.”
    -
    Elmer Keith

Re: Former state House Speaker Craig DeRoche arraigned on gun charge

a republican, OUCH! I imagine this will be a big deal in the media, though it sounds like normal behavior for any of the kennedys

Comment

Re: Former state House Speaker Craig DeRoche arraigned on gun charge

Originally posted by pondrast View Post
      a republican, OUCH! I imagine this will be a big deal in the media, though it sounds like normal behavior for any of the kennedys
      No the kennedys use cars and water to kill not a gun They don't like guns remember
      Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Comment

Working...
      X