Affordable Health Care 19% Increase for 2017 *** 2018 UPDATE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Affordable Health Care 19% Increase for 2017 *** 2018 UPDATE

My choice, if you want to call it that. is terrible this year. My work's offering has always been far worse than what my wife's employer offers. We'll be sticking with hers again this year. Even though the monthly bill went up ~$375 and the deductible just went from $7k to $12k.
    Last edited by TuxAir; 11-18-2017, 07:58 PM.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

Comment

You can check out your state's increases on this misery map.

2018 Premium Increase Tracker

Comment

Originally posted by OysterMan View Post
        You can check out your state's increases on this misery map.

2018 Premium Increase Tracker

And those "eunuchs" in DC can't see this?
        Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Originally posted by Pond Scum View Post
          Well, Trump was elected and still the "Affordable Health Care" law is still in place. 2018 is WORSE THAN THE INCREASE FOR 2017.

for 2018 my Premium is up 42.5%, my deductible is up 62.5%, and my maximum out of pocket is up 12% or more. Oh, they tacked on a $500/day inpatient charge. They added on extra fees for doctor visits.

I'm guessing my added expense will be $5000 - $6000 more per year if I stay healthy! Un - ff'en - believable!

If I go to the hospital for a few days it will be $10 - $12K more a year.
          I dumped my Obamacare at the end of 2016 for these very reasons. I opted for Liberty Healthshare. It's one
          of a number of available faith based health sharing ministries. This may be a good option for you. I'd check
          them out and decide for your self.
          Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Saw a headline that enrollment on obamacare was up 45% over last year. Either the masses aren't getting the message, or they have expanded it to cover more people at tax payers' expense. See a lot of ads on TV about -0- deductibles, -0- co-pays & -0- premiums. Maybe the insurance companies are suckering them in with special deals, then hitting them hard the second year.

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Originally posted by WVSurveyor View Post
              I dumped my Obamacare at the end of 2016 for these very reasons. I opted for Liberty Healthshare. It's one
              of a number of available faith based health sharing ministries. This may be a good option for you. I'd check
              I was doing some searching on line yesterday for Christian Healthcare and was browsing the Liberty site .... looks interesting. You are happy with it??

Comment

Originally posted by WVSurveyor View Post
                What we are talking about is not our Obamacare premiums.

Most of the talk here is about our private insurance cost increases due to the ACA. The private insurers in this country will not work at a loss so we all pay the loss of revenue difference in our policies due to the ACA coverage. That along with the way overpriced so-called drug research that leads to the pricing of drugs sold to the populace.

Think just a second, watch TV for one hour on almost any channel including cable. What you will see is NATIONAL advertising on promoting a drug (maybe even 4 or more in one hour). Look up the cost of one national ad average cost, it's mind-blowing. So far in 2017, 7 billion dollars was spent by the drug companies, of which 12 drugs alone are running close to 180 million each in advertising! You are paying for this rip-off! Now if you are on pain pills you need another drug for Opioid-induced constipation. I'm not on opioids but really, you got to pay to take a crap? I think we are all being crapped on.
                In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

Comment

RC is right. Why should pharmaceutical companies target the patient, rather than the physician who writes the Rx? I believe it's because the docs aren't enamored by the actors in the ads dancing happily to catchy music while the announcer reads 15 seconds of benefits and 45 seconds of bad side effects. I figure that I'm paying my primary care physician to stay up on the latest and greatest meds that work or don't work for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7-Mny-kgXg
                  Never give the devil a ride. He will always want to drive.

Comment

Not just drugs, but the whole health care profession is ripping us off. I had identical surgeries, approximately 2 months apart & the estimated cost of the hospital increased by 25%! I believe the drugs are the worst. They cite the high cost of research as cause of high prices, yet some of it is subsidized by the government & more is paid for thru donations to charities, but they still gig us when we buy the product. Saw a report many years ago about 90-95% profits.

My ulcer med was about $50 per month (20+ years ago) & when it became available over the counter, went to about $20 for 3 month supply.
                    Last edited by mitchr; 11-19-2017, 01:40 PM.

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Our primary care doctor is about the best you'll find. He stays busy, but devotes himself what's best for his patients and spends time working up an effective plan for their health needs. I've only got blood pressure and cholesterol concerns, but the Princess has multi-system problems and has seen about five doctors this month alone. It isn't easy having so many cooks in the kitchen so to speak, so our primary doc has to keep a lot of things coordinated to ensure that the Princess stays on her feet and breathing.

Not only is she a retired nurse but the Princess is also a born bargain hunter, always looking around for the best insurance and med deals. Several of her prescriptions come from Canadian pharmacies that she's checked out thoroughly. Some of the meds come from overseas, but they have proven to stock the right stuff that works as advertised. Some over-the-counter pills she gets at a discount on ebay. All in all, it saves us quite a bit out of pocket.

Here's the website she uses to weed out the legit online pharmacy companies from the hucksters: https://www.pharmacychecker.com/
                      Never give the devil a ride. He will always want to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Reginald Carstairs View Post
                        What we are talking about is not our Obamacare premiums.

Most of the talk here is about our private insurance cost increases due to the ACA. The private insurers in this country will not work at a loss so we all pay the loss of revenue difference in our policies due to the ACA coverage. That along with the way overpriced so-called drug research that leads to the pricing of drugs sold to the populace.

Think just a second, watch TV for one hour on almost any channel including cable. What you will see is NATIONAL advertising on promoting a drug (maybe even 4 or more in one hour). Look up the cost of one national ad average cost, it's mind-blowing. So far in 2017, 7 billion dollars was spent by the drug companies, of which 12 drugs alone are running close to 180 million each in advertising! You are paying for this rip-off! Now if you are on pain pills you need another drug for Opioid-induced constipation. I'm not on opioids but really, you got to pay to take a crap? I think we are all being crapped on.

I used that term synonomously. I had private insurance through Highmark Blue Cross/Blue Shield. The premiums and out of pocket
                        expenses skyrocketed after the ACA became law. I dumped it at the end of 2016 and went with Liberty Healthshare.
                        Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

[QUOTE=Pond Scum;405487]I was doing some searching on line yesterday for Christian Healthcare and was browsing the Liberty site .... looks interesting. You are happy with it??[/QUote

So far it has worked well. I have been blessed with health this past year and have not yet reached the $500.00 deductible.
                          I have, however, been able to help others by sharing my monthly contributions. I did go the doctor a few days ago and that
                          should take me over the threshold. We'll see how that goes. I know of other people who have been through major surgeries
                          and had the expenses taken care of.
                          Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Originally posted by gun sane View Post
                            ........Our primary care doctor is about the best you'll find. He stays busy, but devotes himself what's best for his patients ........

Here's the website she uses to weed out the legit online pharmacy companies from the hucksters: https://www.pharmacychecker.com/
                            I believe you have found a good doctor. The pharmacy that I use is on his list..... that re-confirms it for me.

P.S. Ask him if he has a buddy doc in Mobile....and I'll switch to him!
                            Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

My wife is on Liberty as well. We switched when I retired (I have a decent Medicare supplement) since health insurance would cost $1,000/Month plus for her! She hasn't needed to try it since she is in good health. She will see how it works soon as she needs to get her checkup and a proctoscopy as well.
                              Next year she'll be 65 and then she will go on the same supplements I'm set up for.
                              Obama and the Democrats sure screwed up the insurance system. Every darn thing is covered whether you need it or not and that is why it got so expensive.
                              Certified Armed Infidel!
                              NRA Life Benefactor Member
                              Help Protect Your Rights, Join the NRA today!
                              Thunder 380 DuoTone & Matte

Comment

Working...
                              X