• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheriff of Mayberry SELLS OUT TO OBAMA

Andy Griffith's new role: pitching health care law
    RICARDO ALONSO-ZALDIVAR
    From Associated Press
    July 30, 2010 1:40 PM EDT

WASHINGTON (AP) — Actor Andy Griffith has a new role: pitching President Barack Obama's health care law to seniors in a cable television ad paid for by Medicare.
    The TV star — whose role as sheriff of Mayberry made him an enduring symbol of small-town American values — tells seniors that "good things are coming" under the health care overhaul, including free preventive checkups and lower-cost prescriptions for Medicare recipients.
    Polls show that seniors are more skeptical of the health care law than are younger people because Medicare cuts provide much of the financing to expand coverage for the uninsured. That could be a problem for Democrats in the fall congressional elections, because seniors vote in large numbers.
    Medicare says the national ad is not political, but part of its outreach to educate seniors about new benefits available next year. The ad is slated to run on channels seniors watch, such as the Weather Channel, CNN, Hallmark and Lifetime, at an initial cost of $700,000.
    Not even the 84-year-old Griffith could keep the ad from being pulled into the partisan politics of health care.
    Said Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky: "It's going to take more than slick taxpayer-funded ads to convince skeptical seniors that cutting a half-trillion dollars from Medicare is good for them."
    But presidential adviser Stephanie Cutter said the law strengthens Medicare by reducing wasteful spending. "Seniors were the target of a major misinformation campaign," she wrote on the White House blog, saying the ads will help correct the record.
    ___
    Online:
    Andy Griffith ad: http://tinyurl.com/22wnrrp
    Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Re: Sheriff of Mayberry SELLS OUT TO OBAMA

I don't believe commercials from ANYONE & least of all commercials by the bureaucrats & politicians.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Those "free" preventive checkups are a result of the Administration telling Medicare practitioners that they have to provide the service but can't charge or get reimbursed for them. Where's the incentive in that? My Dr of 25 years is hanging it up and retiring. He and I started in healthcare at the same time 30 some odd years ago. Can't get paid by the Healthcare Financing Administration(that's Medicare). Know how those lower cost prescriptions for medicare recipients are being funded? The reimbursement rate to pharmacies is being cut by about 12%. We make only about 4% bottom line as it is. How long do you think that'll go on? I've only got a few years left to practice and I'll hang it up too. Then the rest of you can support me too. Hey, wonder if I'll have to become a liberal to get my payoff?
      W.W.MT.D-----WHAT WOULD MICHAEL T DO?

CERTIFIED ARMED INFIDEL
      NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

"WHEN THE GOVERNMENT TAKES AWAY THE CITIZEN'S RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS, IT BECOMS THE CITIZEN'S DUTY TO TAKE AWAY THE GOVERNMENT'S RIGHT TO GOVERN" GEORGE WASHINGTON

Comment

I saw this the other day and was surprised to see he sold out to the band of thieves.

Comment

Originally posted by JC40 View Post
          I saw this the other day and was surprised to see he sold out to the band of thieves.
          Andy has always been on the left side on the room, don't think he has changed.
          Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Originally posted by SC Dave View Post
            I didn't know that. Guess that explains why he let Barney only carry 1 bullet, and shunned guns himself altogether.

Comment

I did not know that and guess i never paid attention or took him to seriously.

Comment

I bet I am not the only one who watched the show to see barney and otis, andy was just a suppporting role.

Comment

He's not one of them that has made an a$$ of himself the last few years, like some have. But, like all of them, he'd sell his soul for a buck & I'm sure he made more than a buck for that commercial.
                  Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Very true and Opie is another flaming left winger. Not many in Hollywood that aren't. Remember that old saying, "0ne out of three Hollywood conservatives become President!"
                    Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

You are correct. He has severe anger issues .... like many left wingers.

-Pondy

Comment

Originally posted by Pond Scum View Post
                        He has severe anger issues .... like many left wingers.
                        They simply get mad because we can't understand that they know what's best for us.

Comment

Working...
                        X