problem with new holster...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problem with new holster...

I recently purchased a new leather holster for my BT Plus last week. When I first tried it, it as a little too snug. I couldn't draw it and shoot my shadow without it pulling my pants up, and I don't wear my belt loose. So, on the advise of a friend, I put water on it, put it in a plastic bag then put the gun in the holster. So, the plastic is between the gun and the holster. Also, the bag is sealed to prevent the water from escaping. I left it like that for 24 hours. After I removed it and wiped the water off the holster, and the protective oil off the gun, I left the holster out to dry for another 24 hours. Well, I finally wore it today, all day, and it was very comfortable and easy to draw, but when I removed it from the holster, it was saturated with water! Did I do something wrong? And advise or suggestions?
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Re: problem with new holster...

Hi there...I have to say that I'm not sure that was the best option for the holster. I would have done several things, (wrapped the pistol in wax paper and holster it for several days, wore the holster and pistol for several days in the house, lightly spray the inside of the holster with textile grade silicone) but I would not have done that.

here is what Nate Gable says about your holster getting wet...http://www.ubgholsters.com/care.htm

"7. If your holster becomes wet for any reason, remove it as soon as possible. Ensure the holster
    shape is maintained by pressing around your unloaded firearm. Carefully remove your firearm and gently set your holster aside to dry, under a fan, if possible (donít forget to dry and oil your gun, rust is ugly)."

try that, Nate knows leather and there's no better source for advise.

Also, some people recommend using a conditioner as follows...http://www.clean-image.co.uk/article...or-leather.htm

"in extreme cases where the water isn't allowed to dry out, it can cause rotting, mould, mildew and odours... so try and avoid it and if you do get wet, try and dry the car as best you can.
    A property of leather that doesn't suit upholstery is that when it gets wet, it can shrink and go hard as it dries. So if you find water on, or soaked into your seats, dab it with a towel and then use your leather conditioner to re-moisten the area. It's important to do this before it dries out"

All told, dry it out as best as you can, make sure is dry, rehydrate the leather (lightly) with some conditioner, and don't forget to clean and lube your gun inside out or it will rust.....let us know how it goes.

Mods, I hope I did the quoting "thing" the right way...if not, pls chop away!
    Last edited by RobertoJ; 06-15-2011, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Thanks, Roberto.
      A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Comment

What he said.
        Set a fan to it for a day or two. I have gotten a couple of holsters from Nate where I have just taken them home right after they were finished, it takes at least a couple of days to dry after the molding process. Nate has a faster method, but impractical for a non holster maker to construct.
        "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Comment

Working...
        X