Holster "lube"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holster "lube"

Anyone try to make interior of Holster slicker? If so what did you use.
    Thanks
    hyatt76

Re: Holster "lube"

I don't know that you would want it slicker, a good holster has retention.
    Don't worry about the guns, send lawyers and money.

“The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident, which everyone has decided not to see.”
    Ayn Rand

Comment

Don't know about that being a good idea. A lot of emphasis is put on a good snug fit & retention of a holster. Of course, I tend to always think in terms of concealed carry, so if you are talking about 'quick draw' competition, that's a different deal. You would want something that would not ruin the leather nor create corrosion/rust on your pistol. What about some kind of animal fat? I'm sure someone on this forum has done it & will be along to help you! :) Most good holster makers will caution against using anything that will soften the leather.

P.S. Seems I remember reading about the old west days using axle grease? I wouldn't think that'd be very good for the leather but I doubt they paid as much for their holsters back then as we do now, even when adjusting for inflation. :)
      Last edited by mitchr; 06-27-2010, 05:46 PM.
      Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Galco makes a good release agent, really slick and does not impact the stiffness of the leather. It.s called Draw-EZ and retails for 9.95. Only need 1 fingertip full. Look Here:

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterP3.asp...&CatalogID=343

Bill
        W.W.MT.D-----WHAT WOULD MICHAEL T DO?

CERTIFIED ARMED INFIDEL
        NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

"WHEN THE GOVERNMENT TAKES AWAY THE CITIZEN'S RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS, IT BECOMS THE CITIZEN'S DUTY TO TAKE AWAY THE GOVERNMENT'S RIGHT TO GOVERN" GEORGE WASHINGTON

Comment

If you have a good tight holster Leave it alone. Retention is #1 a little slicker .0000010 sec. faster draw isn't needed It not the show down at high noon. A good holster is plenty fast enough. If in proper position on body not on your ankle or behind back . 2 looser locations for cc Ankle ok if taxi driver maybe or set at desk all day . But when job over belongs at waist level.
          I also dislike cross draw. More likely to miss first shot under stress.
          Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Comment

Stoner holster has a leather dressing and a video explaining how to use it too.

http://www.stonerholsters.com/index....0bcb99dda60d4a

Comment

Originally posted by Fastlane View Post
              Stoner holster has a leather dressing and a video explaining how to use it too.

http://www.stonerholsters.com/index....0bcb99dda60d4a
              Interesting Fastlane, I hadn't see that before. TY for the info! Great question, hyatt76

Yet I like a tight fitting holster IMO.
              “Big bullets let in a lot of air and let out a lot of blood.”
              -
              Elmer Keith

Comment

All I have ever done is wrap the gun in wax paper and insert it in the holster several times when the holster is new to work it in a little bit. Helps a bunch and doesn't seem to have hurt retention.

-Pondy

Comment

Exactly what PS says. I own several UBG holsters that were very "tight fitting" when new. I wrapped my gun in wax paper and" loosened" the grip on the gun. They now fit like a glove and retain the gun safe and securely and can be drawn very quickly if need be.
                  Tomorrow is one day closer to November.

Comment

Thanks to all...good info AND advice...I will just keep-on drawing...http://www.bersachat.com/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif

Comment

Brownells has a holster lube
                      BT380 Duo CCW
                      NRA Member

Comment

Anyone ever use 'Mink Oil'?

It's an "all natural" leather conditioner and water repellent. Used to use it on my Red Wing boots. Had some slick to it. Wonder if something like that would do the trick as well as adding some leather conditioning.
                        "...too little penetration will get you killed."

Comment

Originally posted by Zotter View Post
                          Anyone ever use 'Mink Oil'?
                          I love mink oil but I wouldn't use it on my holsters .... I think it will soften the leather and you will loose the shape and retention.

-Pondy

Comment

Originally posted by Pond Scum View Post
                            I love mink oil but I wouldn't use it on my holsters .... I think it will soften the leather and you will loose the shape and retention.

-Pondy
                            I have been using Leather New on my holsters and belts. Its and oil but drys quickly without an oily residue. It made a diffrence in getting the Crossbreed to conform to my hip, works great on the car seats also.
                            http://www.farnamhorse.com/product.p...133&key=300002
                            BT380 Duo CCW
                            NRA Member

Comment

I'm not sure of the efficacy of using oils and leather conditioners after the holster is made. Most holster makers use some type of acrylic top coat, inside and out, as the final step in finishing a holster and I don't know if anything designed to penetrate the leather will be able to do its job.

I know there are makers that will use a dry lube spray like Rem-dri lube to slick up a tight holster.

Bronson
                              Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                              X