Shoulder holster concealment?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoulder holster concealment?

I'm in the process of reviewing options. Have not started carrying yet. confession, I'm fat with quite a bit overhanging from the belt already and difficulty keeping the pants up without adding the weight of a hog iron.
    Wearing on the belt is most likely not an option that's very viable.
    Was wondering if shoulder carry with a jacket is actually concealble enough in real life. Looking for comments and experience.
    A jacket in Texas summers would not be fun but better than nothing.
    Retired and hunkering in.

Re: Shoulder holster concealment?

Don't know as a lot of folks on here carry in a shoulder harness, but maybe someone will be along to help you. When I took my CHL course, one of the videos was about various ways to conceal. I forget how many pistols the guy had on him, but they covered a nearby table. He had two in a shoulder harness, one on each side, a .44 mag revolver & a full size 1911! With the right get-up, should be easy.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Wear suspenders with your belt. A good gun belt is really needed if going to carry a large pistol. Works Wall mart sell kind (perry) that have plastic ends that hook to belt. Lots of us have front porch. I can wear suspenders under a T-shirt and no one know I have them on. .

It really hot weather you can always go to a KelTec in pocket. .

I wear a shoulder now and then When on bike in summer in riding gear Their not all that comfortable and the cheap ones nylon aren't worth bring home .
      Last edited by Michael T; 02-17-2011, 10:43 AM.
      Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Comment

Perhaps fasting is in order?

Comment

perhaps time out is in order for some people.
          Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Comment

I've got an el cheap-o nylon and a custom built leather.... and they both suck. My 9uc is one sweet gun but it's too darn heavy to carry on a belt for me... especially with a gut and no butt... so I went the shoulder holster route for cooler weather carry of the 9. Even with a well built leather rig it gets uncomfortable pretty darn quick. My daily carry is the 380cc and it doesn't pull my pants down so I pretty much stick with that.

One of my next leather projects will be a modified 'Doc Holiday' rig for my uc 9... I'm hoping that the combination of a belt mounted cross draw holster and shoulder suspension will turn out to be comfortable and keep my pants from falling down.... and it might be adaptable for strong side carry.

As a last resort you might try a fanny pack. Not very fashionable but if you can get past that they can be comfortable. Or there's always the "Man Purse".
            Certified Armed Infidel

Si vis pacem, para bellum <if you want peace, prepare for war>

Comment

Originally posted by Liveneasy View Post
              I've got an el cheap-o nylon and a custom built leather.... and they both suck. My 9uc is one sweet gun but it's too darn heavy to carry on a belt for me... especially with a gut and no butt... so I went the shoulder holster route for cooler weather carry of the 9. Even with a well built leather rig it gets uncomfortable pretty darn quick. My daily carry is the 380cc and it doesn't pull my pants down so I pretty much stick with that.

One of my next leather projects will be a modified 'Doc Holiday' rig for my uc 9... I'm hoping that the combination of a belt mounted cross draw holster and shoulder suspension will turn out to be comfortable and keep my pants from falling down.... and it might be adaptable for strong side carry.

As a last resort you might try a fanny pack. Not very fashionable but if you can get past that they can be comfortable. Or there's always the "Man Purse".
              I read a thread somewhere, maybe on another forum, where folks with the same problem were wearing suspenders to keep their belts from sagging & really liked them. Then there are gun belts that are double-layered with a stiffener in between the layers that might help. I have one & with an all steel 1911, I can unbuckle it & even though the pistol will tend to cant outwards away from my body slightly, the belt does not sag.

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

:-) Meen on a strict diet for 5 weeks now. Lost 14 lbs but a long way to go.
                thanks for the advice.
                Retired and hunkering in.

Comment

Originally posted by Eliminator View Post
                  :-) Meen on a strict diet for 5 weeks now. Lost 14 lbs but a long way to go.
                  thanks for the advice.
                  Good start! It usually is a little slow at first & slower is actually better. Main thing is don't get discouraged & have a relapse.

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

I wore a shoulder holster most of last winter. It was a Masters that I bought from Condor flights. I was able to get both right side and left side holsters so I can carry 2 of my Bersa UC's, either 9 or 45. I like wearing it in the winter. I think it is comfortable to wear, better to drive with than my UBG Striker. Looking forward to getting it back on.

-Pondy

Comment

Due to an arthritic shoulder that sometimes makes drawing awkward and painful I decided to shop shoulder holsters for those times. I don't want to spend too much and find I totally hate it, yet going too cheap and not liking it I won't know if it's because it's a shoulder holster or because it's a cheap one.

Trying to stay middle of the road, I've narrowed it down to the Galco Classic Lite, or Bianchi's Leatherlite or Tuxedo shoulder systems. All can be found for between $70-$80. Waiting for Cyber-Monday before ordering, just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by Pond Scum View Post
                        I wore a shoulder holster most of last winter. It was a Masters that I bought from Condor flights. I was able to get both right side and left side holsters so I can carry 2 of my Bersa UC's, either 9 or 45. I like wearing it in the winter. I think it is comfortable to wear, better to drive with than my UBG Striker. Looking forward to getting it back on.

-Pondy
                        i

?
                        is there no hold down for under the gun....from your holster to the belt? if not what keeps it from flopping ?

Comment

Originally posted by mitchr View Post
                          Then there are gun belts that are double-layered with a stiffener in between the layers that might help.
                          While I'll agree that stiffer is better.... but it doesn't solve the problem, at least not mine. My actual waist goes around my gut so I can't wear a belt there it's too uncomfortable. So I wear it on my hips. The problem with wearing it on the hips is I don't have a butt to help keep the belt (and gun) in position so I need to tighten up on the belt. Fine for the weight of my 380 but the double stack uc 9 means pulling another notch on the belt to support the added weight. That keeps my pants and gun from falling down around my ankles but it's dang uncomfortable and makes my back ache after a couple of hours.

So for me... if I want to carry my 9, it's a modified shoulder holster or suspenders.

And Pondy.... while your shoulder rig looks good, I imagine that by the end of a day carrying double holsters or one holster and a couple double stack mags.... you've got a pretty good idea how large chested women feel at the end of a day. Both of my shoulder rigs have extra wide straps to help distribute the weight across my shoulders but a full day of carry still makes em a bit sore.
                          Certified Armed Infidel

Si vis pacem, para bellum <if you want peace, prepare for war>

Comment

Yeah, I don't think I could handle a shoulder rig with any weight on it & maybe the suspenders idea not that good for the same reason if they must provide ALL of the support.

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Originally posted by brian c View Post
                              ?
                              is there no hold down for under the gun....from your holster to the belt? if not what keeps it from flopping ?
                              Regarding the tie downs .... I don't use them. I tried them but found I didn't like them. I keep the guns from flapping by not jogging!

-Pondy

Comment

Working...
                              X