Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New From Texas

Texas
    New to all gun forums. New to all guns. I have always been a strong supporter of a woman being able to take care of herself. I have taken martial arts in the past but some health issues has stopped that for the time being and I felt the need to get a little assistance in my safety. Husband has been very supportive of all my wild hairs, and has fully backed me in learning how to use a gun. I was out looking and thought I had fully settled on the Beretta PX4 9 mm as my weapon of choice but then I held and was able to handle the Bersa Firestorm .380. I instantatly felt comfortable with it and bought one on the spot...after trying out a rental first. The money I saved went into a membership at the local indoor gun range. Today is my anniversery and my husband got me a carry case, holster and a spare magazine for my gun. I plan to get a conceal carry permit as money allows. First plan is to get comfortable with the gun enough to make it part of me before I do. A few months ago I was too scared of a gun to even know what to do with one if I got it away from an intruder.
    Kat
    Certified Armed infidel!!

Re: New from Texas

Welcome to the circus! Lotsa good information here, as well as a few laughs. Enjoy the ride!
    Don't worry about the guns, send lawyers and money.

“The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident, which everyone has decided not to see.”
    Ayn Rand

Comment

Hi, Kat....welcome to BC! Sounds like you've got hubby pretty well trained. He really should be rewarded with a Bersa of his own. Get him something different and they'll cross pollinate and multiply.
      Never give the devil a ride. He will always want to drive.

Comment

Maybe I could talk him into a .45 then I could end up with a baby .40?? That would be awesome LOL

Comment

New From Texas

Yesterday I went to the range to try out what different calibers feel like. I took My sons Taurus Pro Melinium (sp) .45, rented a MP .40 and then finished up with my .380. I was right to go in that order. Hands and shoulders are very sore today. First shot with the .45 almost kicked me back in the forehead. Then it would no longer shoot. I had to get help from the staff and finally determined that after me shooting it one time I need to send it in for repair because the trigger spring went. The range then let me borrow a different .45 XD I think it was. I was all over the target but it made some really big holes and I think I killed it. Then the /40 was a bit better in that I could hold with both hands and it felt ok but still it took alot of effort to control the thing. I then went to work with mine again and it was like wow, ok I am glad I picked this gun as my first. I should state that I have had both sholders worked on at least once and had several other injuries at my last job so I will have to build up to the bigger guns.
          Kat

Comment

Welcome to Bersa Chat Kat! Looks like you have went both feet first in this gun/shootn thing! Make safety FIRST and the fun will follow!
            Certified Armed Infidel Willing and Able ISIS Eliminator!!!!

Comment

Re: Texas

Use only Bersa mags. Be carefull most places sell pro mags. They at best 50/50 on working At 10 posts you can get pass word for Condorsflight and 10% off. We have a few ladies here that are members . When you ready to move up I suggest the Bersa 9mm compact Just a little bigger than thunder and 13 rounds. of 9mm. Don't get caught up in the caliber war BS 380 , 9mm both will work for SD. YOU must place bullet . I carry 380, 9mm , and 45 auto(1911) I don't have any problem with this one better than this one. Except I think 40 total waste of money. 9mm is the cheapest ammo to buy for range and carry.

Now be carefull of mason he is bit strange . NC fly is a problem only if you have gills Americangirl is +100. RC is old and grumpy
              Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Comment

Hello and welcome, Kat.

Congratulations. I fully support women being able to defend themselves. Our numbers are growing by the day. We are a friendly bunch here. The forum is PG13 rated. There is lots of good advice. Please make yourself at home and enjoy your stay.
                There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Bersa Chat Zone!

Comment

Welcome Kat. An east Texan here. The .380 is a good choice, but if you decide to go up in caliber, I vote for the 9mm also. The Ultra Compact 9 is really not that much larger than the .380, in respect to dimensions, but it is heavier when loaded. Because of the added weight, I feel little difference in the recoil between it & the .380.
                  Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

On the Texas CHL board this guy was bragging about his wife taking the CHL class. She scored perfect 100% on both written and qualification. Must be a real relief to him that he no longer has to carry. She can defend him.
                    Last edited by Eliminator; 10-24-2011, 04:16 PM.
                    Retired and hunkering in.

Comment

I live in the east texas..Tyler area.
                      I have been in water ballon fights with hubby. He used me a a human shield. I worry the same might accidentally happen in a gun fight LOL.

Comment

Who says it would be an accident?

You are pretty close by. I'm just north of Gladewater, about 25 miles from Tyler. Used to shoot at the indoor range at Larry's Lock & Load.

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

That's the problem with human shields. They squirm.
                          Retired and hunkering in.

Comment

Lock and load is where I got my Bersa Firestrom .380! I was having trouble pulling the slide on all guns I was looking at. They took time and showed me how and I was off and running. They also gave me a free beginners instruction. That was all before I was even going to buy a gun for sure. Could be they just spotted a sucker..I don't know.

Once my husband used me to go tru a wall at a haunted house when a man with chainsaw came at him. We no longer go to haunted houses.

Comment

Lock & Load is a good place to do business. I bought my first pistol there, a Firestorm Mini 40 & a couple of others since then. I'd still be going there to shoot, but I joined the East Texas Pistol & Rifle Range in Longiew. It's outdoors so subject to weather issues & they don't have the electronically positioned targets, but it's a lot cheaper.

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Working...
                              X