Brand, BRAND NEW newbie...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brand, BRAND NEW newbie...

Good evening, I'd thought i would introduce myself. I've been reading the forums for a while now, gathering some info. I finally decided on purchasing my first Bersa in about a month or so. A little about myself first.

My first experience with firearms of any kind in 20 years was firing a buddy's Kimber Ultra Carry and another's Bersa 380. My buddy with the Kimber is ex-army, retired Navy. I'm active duty Navy currently. I've thought about firearms for quite a while, but didn't start becoming serious about them until recently. I've heard in the news that crime rates are down, but the brazeness of crime is as bad as it ever was. My buddy has been trying to convince me to begin carrying, and i believe he may be right. I was apprehensive at first, because my family has had no training when it comes to firearms. Now with my youngest child turning 10 soon, i think i and my wife would feel more comfortable with some sort of home defense plan in place.

After much reading and review of several forums and tech info (xdtalk, glocktalk, bersachat, etc.), as well as expert handgun reviews, i've decided on purchasing a Bersa Thunder UC40. I enjoyed shooting the Kimber .45 and the felt the 380, and i felt the .40 would be a happy medium. I haven't shot the .40, but plan to soon. I didn't come to my decision lightly: i've held various pistols at my local gun shop, and out of all that i held, the Bersa just "felt" right. As a brand newbie, i'd appreciate some feedback on my decision. I know some people are gonna be biased, i understand that. I guess i'm looking for expert opinions about, well, anything! Thanks for the support.

I do have just a few questions to start with:

I noticed when i pull the slide back on the UC, alot less pressure is required to lock it back than say the glock or an XD. Is there a big difference in performance, or is that just design?
    I was considering a slide holster for use at the range or for CCW. Anybody recommend a good one? I found this one, but i don't know if it will fit the UC
    http://www.reedercustomguns.com/info...cessories.html (the Yaqui, about 1/2 way down)
    Has anyone had experience with a robar NP3 finish? http://www.robarguns.com/np3.htm I was considering sending it out after a few hundred rounds after i get the pistol.

That's it for now, i'm sure i will have tons more questions. Thanks for the support, and i look forward to participating in what you all seem to enjoy with tons of enthusiasm.
    Last edited by jackospades; 02-17-2012, 12:49 AM.
    "Nobody wants to be shot...after 2 in the chest and 1 in the head the bad guys won't say, " that's only a .380"." -- posted in Yahoo answers

Re: Brand, BRAND NEW newbie...

I can't say anything for the UC40... but I did carry a Glock 40 for a bit and shot a few thousand rounds through it... This is my personal opinion, and only that.

If I were to purchase a new firearm, it would be either a 9mm or a .45, and not a .40. The .40 is a snappy round and I personally did not like it. For the price of ammo, I would go with a 9mm. If it was for the stopping power, I would go to the .45. The .40 is in between, but I feel that the .40 is kind of a mediocre round. I feel you can get the same performance from a 9mm, but if you want stopping power, go to the .45 for a "push" as opposed to a "snap" in the recoil, which allows for faster follow-up shots.

that being said, on duty I have switched to a 9mm until we get the new .45 1911's. until then, I'm happy with the cpacity of the 9mm with quicker follow-up shots as opposed to how I show the .40. that being in the Glock handgun.

The Bersa 9mm is a great gun, never had a problem with mine in close to 4000 rounds though it. Reliable, accurate, and easy to shoot.

Thats my humble opinion.

Comment

Welcome to BC! There a a good number of ex-Navy personnel here already.
      I agree with John, I have over 10k rounds through my UC9, it is an excellent platform. I don't care for the .40 round, 9mm or .45 for me.
      "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Comment

Welcome to Bersa Chat. Not sure why you decided on the UC40 after reading this forum. Nothing wrong with the UC40 but the consensuses here is to go with the UC9 or UC45; they are very similar to each other and essentially trouble free from the get-go. The UC45 has the power but only a 7-round mag; the UC9 has a choice of 10-round or 13-round mags and the ammo is much cheaper than .40 and .45 cal. ammo. Slides designed for all Bersa models are very easy and smooth to operate (and much easier on the fingers). Lots of holsters out there whether you're carrying IWB or OWB. I'm not familiar with the Yaqui holster but will pass on that many of our forum members prefer those made by http://www.luvthegunholsters.com/ or http://www.ubgholsters.com/. Someone will be along to give opinions on the various finishes out there.
        Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

Thanks for the info! Again, i appreciate info from straight experience. My buddy with the Kimber has been experiencing feed problems with his 45 for a while, which he's disappointed with considering the price he paid for it. I'm reading lots of people are having the same issue. He's considering swapping to a new XDM45, but also seriously thinking about a XDM9 because of the ammo price. John, i was thinking about using the .40 also because many, MANY law enforcement depts are using them, making it fairly common. True? What's the consensus? I am assuming of course, based off your post, you are a LEO.
          I had considered the .45UC, but after gripping it, i had some second thoughts with the feel of it. The 9mm is very tempting, especially with the price and its lengthy history. Shooting the 45 provided a very positive feel to it, too. I kind of equated it to riding a motorcycle. I've owned a H-D Sportster, and sat on a Honda. The Honda felt "plastic" (no offence to Honda riders) because of its well-balance, while the Sporty's top-heaviness made me feel like it could kill me, and therefore, make me respect it more. Know what i mean? I know, this is only from one experience with shooting and months of reading only, but that just my opinion. What do you think?
          Last edited by jackospades; 02-17-2012, 02:07 AM.
          "Nobody wants to be shot...after 2 in the chest and 1 in the head the bad guys won't say, " that's only a .380"." -- posted in Yahoo answers

Comment

Originally posted by grworrall View Post
            Welcome to Bersa Chat. Not sure why you decided on the UC40 after reading this forum. Nothing wrong with the UC40 but the consensuses here is to go with the UC9 or UC45; they are very similar to each other and essentially trouble free from the get-go. The UC45 has the power but only a 7-round mag; the UC9 has a choice of 10-round or 13-round mags and the ammo is much cheaper than .40 and .45 cal. ammo. Slides designed for all Bersa models are very easy and smooth to operate (and much easier on the fingers). Lots of holsters out there whether you're carrying IWB or OWB. I'm not familiar with the Yaqui holster but will pass on that many of our forum members prefer those made by http://www.luvthegunholsters.com/ or http://www.ubgholsters.com/. Someone will be along to give opinions on the various finishes out there.
            Thanks again for the input! Maybe i haven't read enough of the forum as i should have, i didn't get the sense about the consensuses. I do know that 9 times out of 10, first time Bersa owners, no matter their model, turn into long time Bersa owners, which i respect and appreciate. Also, searching the term "yaqui holsters", you get a host of 1911 designs. Basically, i was looking for a minimalist holster similar to the one i showed in the link. Do you think its wise?

Also, to all, how much do you practice the DA trigger? I understand its important to practice it specifically to get used to the greater trigger pull over SA?
            Last edited by jackospades; 02-17-2012, 01:49 AM. Reason: addition

Comment

welcome look to http://condorsflight.com for a holster I use a belt slide holster for my 9mm Bersa ,KelTec PF-9, or my 1911's I have other holsters but this one is simple and if I remove the pistol no one notices the holster. The one I use is like what on condors flight I remove the spring as I don't carry IWB .
              Like others here . Iam not a fan of the 40 . I owned one not a Bersa. I fired 1 mag and took back to the dealer and traded . I didn't like the snap recoil and I think the 9 will work as well or the 45. Some PD's in this country are returning to the 9 and others are going up to 45 . Many departments jumped on 40 because of great deal from Glock and the FBI was going to it. Their is no magic bullet or caliber . Its shot placement and penteration plain and simple No matter if a 22 or a 50 cal Desert Eagle. The larger caliber and HP just allow a little more room for error on the placement of bullet.

So thats my take If you haven't bought a 40 I would reconsider . If you have then master it. Always remember YOU ARE THE WEAPON The firearm is just a delivery system.

How do you practice the DA shoot 1 round Decock and shoot again repeat and repeat. The trigger pull isn't that hard Its long but not real heavy. The problem most have is the transitition from DA to SA for the 2nd shot That requires a slighty different use of the finger on trigger as the trigger is now way back and very light . Thats more a problem for many than the DA shot.
              Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Comment

Originally posted by Michael T View Post
                ...Always remember YOU ARE THE WEAPON The firearm is just a delivery system...
                That's awesome. I like that. When i went shooting with my buddy, i noticed how his weapon was more like a tool for use than anything else. He whole-heartedly agreed.

Originally posted by Michael T View Post
                welcome look to http://condorsflight.com for a holster I use a belt slide holster for my 9mm Bersa ,KelTec PF-9, or my 1911's I have other holsters but this one is simple and if I remove the pistol no one notices the holster. The one I use is like what on condors flight I remove the spring as I don't carry IWB .
                Like others here . Iam not a fan of the 40 . I owned one not a Bersa. I fired 1 mag and took back to the dealer and traded . I didn't like the snap recoil and I think the 9 will work as well or the 45. Some PD's in this country are returning to the 9 and others are going up to 45 . Many departments jumped on 40 because of great deal from Glock and the FBI was going to it. Their is no magic bullet or caliber . Its shot placement and penteration plain and simple No matter if a 22 or a 50 cal Desert Eagle. The larger caliber and HP just allow a little more room for error on the placement of bullet.

So thats my take If you haven't bought a 40 I would reconsider . If you have then master it. Always remember YOU ARE THE WEAPON The firearm is just a delivery system.

How do you practice the DA shoot 1 round Decock and shoot again repeat and repeat. The trigger pull isn't that hard Its long but not real heavy. The problem most have is the transitition from DA to SA for the 2nd shot That requires a slighty different use of the finger on trigger as the trigger is now way back and very light . Thats more a problem for many than the DA shot.
                I saw the slide holster and i think that's gonna be my choice.
                I'm moving more and more towards the 9mm. i agree, shot placement is key in defense.

Thanks for the sage advice! By all means, please, keep it coming!

Comment

Hi jackospades and welcome to Bersa Chat. Congrats on your decision to buy Bersa. You will not regret it.. But remember this.

.45ACP baby, accept no substitute!

Comment

Welcome to the forum and glad you are trying to be an informed buyer. Seems you already have some great info here and I have no experience with the 40 except to see that the ammo prices would definitely be higher to practice with. I am a fan of the 45 but since it didn't feel right in your hands I would recommend the 9 since it is the same as the 40 in the Bersa lineup and parts are interchangeable.

There is also a report of one of our members having the option of both in one gun by baying about $100 worth of parts to shoot 9mm cheaply and still have the option of the 40. There are also a few 40 owners I am sure will chime in soon, and give their view. So far you have been fed very good info.

Also glad to see you are taking the responsibility for you and your families safety. Since you are new to guns, I hope you spend a lot of research and time learning safe handling. I am sure you will since you are devoting time and effort to this purchase.

We can't wait for the range report and pictures.
                    Certified Armed Infidel .
                    WARNING: All my ammo contains bacon grease for a one way ticket to hell!
                    45/70 when Bacon is still on the hoof. Here Piggie Piggie and ISIS pigs.

Comment

HA! I'll keep that in mind, Mason. Thanks!

And thanks for the congrats and the advice on the .40, gtgeorge. I'll certainly provide range reports and pics. My buddy offered congrats after i shot his 45. At 10 yards, i was able to get 90% of my shots in the "bowling pin" for the target i was using, which he was impressed by.

I find that when i'm making big investments in time and effort, i put time and effort into the purchase, which has served me well so far. As i'm new to the culture, i have to also ask, with respect, am i right in my thinking about even purchasing a handgun? Please, hear me out:

-I believe in our constitutional rights, as any good American should. i swore to defend them almost 20 years ago.
                      -My youngest child is turning 10 soon, so my wife and i can feel a LITTLE safer starting to bring firearms into our home (of course, SAFETY is PARAMOUNT)
                      -I may not believe the whole "Dec 2012 End of the World" scenario, but that doesn't mean alot of other people don't, and that a complete breakdown of the social order won't happen because of it
                      -everyday in my small town, i see more and more what i call "demoralized" people, people who just do stupid stuff with no sense of how it affects others (not stone-cold robbery or murder in broad daylight, but just random, stupid stuff)
                      -i'm getting older, slower, but wiser, and i don't know if its me or the company i'm keeping lately, but it just seems peace of mind is in order, and carrying seems more and more reasonable to me.
                      -Granted, i've never needed a firearm before, but now the philosophy of "better to have and not need, than to need and not have..." is starting to play more and more..
                      -and, i need a new hobby

Know what i mean? Am i over-thinking it, because i do that tons...

Thank you again for the support! Please, by all means, keep it coming!
                      Last edited by jackospades; 02-17-2012, 03:50 AM.

Comment

Whatever firearm it is that you choose, make sure your firearms training, becomes a family event.
                        Don't worry about the guns, send lawyers and money.

“The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident, which everyone has decided not to see.”
                        Ayn Rand

Comment

I think you are over thinking this one. If you wish to have one, that's great as you seem to be safety concision too. Yes our world is getting crazier as time goes by and I feel it will probably get worse before it gets better as it seems more children are being brought up without morals and/or a conscience.

Remember all the things that kept you safe before having one as well as your abilities to defend yourself. I feel too many people fall into the mindset that once they have a firearm it is there first line of defense. The firearm is but another tool in your toolbox for protection. As we get older and slower sometimes it might should be LOL.

Now for the best part. They are fun to shoot and are helpful in relieving stress. If you enjoyed your time shooting, a firearm is a must to continue the passion. But all in all, only you know where you stand on ownership. You are looking at Bersa which most of us have found to be a great value for a very dependable and accurate firearm.

Just be advised that the Bersa's come with a bug that once bites you, compels you to buy more.
                          Certified Armed Infidel .
                          WARNING: All my ammo contains bacon grease for a one way ticket to hell!
                          45/70 when Bacon is still on the hoof. Here Piggie Piggie and ISIS pigs.

Comment

Welcome to Bersa chat JackOSpades and congrats on your knew gun. I realize that many here have kind of poopooed the .40, but do not dispair. I have a 40 HC, and love to shoot it. The .40 is a good round and if you look at non biased reports on the caliber you will see that it performs very well. I would recommend that you avoid the 180 grain rounds and go instead with the lighter 135-165gn rounds. There can be an inconsistant preasure variance in the 180 due to lack of space in the case with the large bullet. Manufactures have actually reduced the powder in the heavier rounds in effort to decrease that varience. This inturn reduces the performance of that round. Using the lighter round also decreases felt recoil, which I find very mangeable. I'm sure you will enjoy the forty, after you have gotten some time in the gun world, I'm sure you will be picking up you own biases. no need to harness yourself with the biases of others now.
                            Bersa Thunder .380
                            Bersa Thunder 40HC Pro
                            Kahr CW9
                            Rock Island 1911 9mm Tactical
                            Kimber Pro Aegis II 9mm

Comment

Welcome to Bersa Chat Jack. Seems everyone has pretty well answered your questions. My first pistol was the Bersa .40 & like they say, the Bersas tend to multiply on you so I also have the 9mm & .45. I enjoy giving them all a turn at the range & I'm sure you'll be happy with which ever you choose.

I also believe, as others stated, that shooting can be a fun family event. I believe that including the 10 year old, teaching him safety & especially satisfying his curiosity about firearms is better than locks & trying to hide it from him. We look forward to hearing which you decide on & your first range report.
                              Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Working...
                              X