Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first post on Bersachat: why a Bersa Thunder .380 vs. a Mak. or P-64?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first post on Bersachat: why a Bersa Thunder .380 vs. a Mak. or P-64?

Greetings to all:
    As a milsurp rifle guy who was bitten by the gun bug really late in life (early 50s), a first handgun interests me, though we live on the rural edge of a low-crime suburb. The only exposure to handguns has been fairly often the last few years, but very sporadic and among various types.

Even though a CCW might not be the result, as an option it won't be decided for months.
    For now, I've spent about sixteen-twenty hours on several websites reading about the only handguns which interest me: PPK ($), Sig 232 ($ and longer than these), Bersa, Mak., P-64, and the FEG PA-63. The CZ-82 is very popular, but the double-stack mag might one day seem a bit bulky.

As my shirts are always tucked in, and the Memphis climate only requires a jacket from late Nov-March, all of these might be too large for Possible front pocket carry, and everybody says that the IWB is uncomfy with guns the size of these.

Whether you carry or not, did many of you simply want a Bersa due to the size/reliability/gun+ammo costs?
    Three friends/buddies I don't see that often (except gun shows) carry the P-64. They are quite seasoned with rifles/handguns, and this Polish type might have the right value and reliability for them.
    Last edited by Laufer; 12-09-2012, 02:04 AM.

Re: My first post on Bersachat: why a Bersa Thunder .380 vs. a Mak. or P-64?

Yes, I bought the Bersa Thunder .380 and Thunder .32 because of the size and way the gun is made. It is thin and easy to conceal carry. I have also found it accurate and dependable. Loaded with either Hornady Critical Defense or Corbon Pwrball ammo the .380 is one nice shooter. I use only FMJ in the .32 and it too shoots very well. Bersa guns are very dependable and nice to shoot. Plus they have a moderate price.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. The Bersa CC can be worn comfortably in cargo pants but still a tad bit on the heavy side for most.

Many of us on this forum carry the KelTec P-3AT in a DeSantis holster as our pocket gun. Loaded with Cor-Bon DPX it has been a proven and effective small pocket gun. You should always carry a round in the chamber ready to fire when drawn so the pocket style light weight holsters are recommended.

The Bersa .380 makes a good IWB or OWB firearm but you covered why that may not be an option for you.

pocket guns are best shot one handed.

This "First Post" moved to the introduction forum.
      Last edited by Reginald Carstairs; 12-09-2012, 03:15 AM.
      In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

Comment

I have my Bersa Firestorm .380 due to a serendipitous circumstance. I went to buy a Beretta Subcompact and decided to rent a few guns first. the min that Bersa was in my hand and I was racking the slide I just knew it was mine. Then I shot it. I had not used a handgun before and rifle last use had been like 1 or 2 times when I was about 10-12. Love that gun. I then looked up more info on my new Bersa and fount this wild and crazy place. I also have a S&W bodyguard .380. I think 2 guns are better than one LOL. I always have a backup plan. Now I can not carry concealed yet but do carry both in my car. My opinion is if someone ever tells you to drop your gun you better have another one to shoot them with lol
        Certified Armed infidel!!

Comment

Welcome to BersaChat Laufer! You are very near to me it sounds. Whereabouts are you? Maybe we can meet and show you the double-knot super secret BersaChat handshake

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

Comment

Welcome to the madhouse. I have no experience with the others you mention, but I also think the Bersa is a bit large for pocket carry although I believe we do have a few members which carry them that way. The P-3AT that RC mentioned is a good option or maybe the P238 Sig Sauer. It is carried cocked & locked so you definitely need a pocket holster for it.
            Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

My EDC or every day carry is usually a Kel Tec P-32. It's the same size as a Kel Tec P3AT but a 32ACP caliber in stead or a .380. Ammo is a little cheaper than .380 but a very reliable daily carry piece none the less!
              Certified Armed Infidel Willing and Able ISIS Eliminator!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the responses.
                We are in the "madhouse"? When my wife hears about this nickname, she will know that there Must be a padded cell waiting for me.

When the "gun bug" bit me in my early 50s ('07), she knew that I was nuts.
                Last edited by Laufer; 12-10-2012, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Welcome to Bersa Chat Laufer! A.K.A.the ZOO! No feeding the animals please!
                  Certified Armed Infidel Willing and Able ISIS Eliminator!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Laufer View Post
                    Thanks for the responses.
                    We are in the "madhouse"? When my wife hears about this nickname, she will know that there Must be a padded cell waiting for me.

When the "gun bug" bit me in my early 50s ('07), she knew that I was nuts.
                    I was a psych nurse for 6 years. believe me I think half the people here are certifiable and the others probably should be LOL
                    Certified Armed infidel!!

Comment

Yeah, you guys are kinda goofy for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by TuxAir View Post
                        Maybe we can meet and show you the double-knot super secret BersaChat handshake
                        Hey! How come they only taught me the single knot handshake??

Comment

Originally posted by Pond Scum View Post
                          Hey! How come they only taught me the single knot handshake??
                          We didn't want to cornfuze ya too much at first Pondy..

Comment

Originally posted by Mason View Post
                            We didn't want to cornfuze ya too much at first Pondy..
                            That was a wise choice Mason. Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by Laufer View Post
                              .... a guy who was bitten by the gun bug really late in life (early 50s), a first handgun interests me, .....
                              Same here, except I was in my late fifties before the bug got me. I wanted a night stand gun and something I could carry when the wife and I were on out of town trips in the RV. After looking and pricing the various 9mm guns, I decided on the BT 380 due to it's price and warranty . Many months later I "discovered" the DLX mags through Bersa Chat, which allowed the gun to fit my hand better, I really learned to appreciate the gun. Used it as my primary until about 6 months ago. I have the same problem her in Vegas on concealed carry. It's hot. Now that I'm retired, I wear a short sleeve in the summer and long sleeve pocket T's tucked in withe a loose fitting open over shirt which covers and conceals both the 380 and now the 9UC I carry. I've seen quite a few wearing the light weight tactical vests to help conceal. About three months back, I stumbled onto Tru-Spec tactical shirts in both long and short sleeve that make good cover for carrying a concealed gun.
                              ✟✟✟ USAF, Retired (Aka-9UC)
                              "...and HE said..."he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one". Luke 22:36
                              Life Mbr: VFW, DAV, VVA, VSPA, NRA,

Comment

Working...
                              X