Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Everybody.
    cjbiv
    St. Tammany Parish, Republic of West Florida (look it up!)

Comment

Re: Louisiana

Originally posted by cjbiv View Post
      Hey Everybody.
      cjbiv
      St. Tammany Parish, Republic of West Florida (look it up!)
      Welcome to the family! Yes, that part of home was once part of Republic of West Florida!
      A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Comment

Natchitoches here! No Cajuns here, just Rednecks.

Comment

[QUOTE=teecro;119503]But I sure don't miss the heat of summer or red fire ants.....[QUOTE]

I could send you a jar full of them (Queen included) and all you'd need to do is spread them out on your yard.

Comment

New here from Covington. Just recently picked up a matter black and gold thunder 380

Comment

SHould have chosen the nick pimpmaster since you got the pimp version 380. Welcome and enjoy the ride and as always.....make room for more.
              Certified Armed Infidel .
              WARNING: All my ammo contains bacon grease for a one way ticket to hell!
              45/70 when Bacon is still on the hoof. Here Piggie Piggie and ISIS pigs.

Comment

Welcome to the madhouse trentmaster.
                Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Madhouse? That explains everything!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Retired LEO
                  NRA Member

Comment

Hi, all......brand new here....my first Bersa just arrived today (Thunder 380 CC, satin nickel finish)...can't wait to run some rounds through it! From Assumption Parish.....I've been lurking around the forum for awhile researching before I made my purchase....very helpful and informative. I'll be checking in periodically for more tips and advice as I become familiar with the gun. TTYL

Comment

Welcome to the forum Chief301. If you've browsed the forum I'm sure you've read about cleaning & lubing it good before shooting it because that stuff that comes on it is not a lubricant. Also, no solvents that contain ammonia should be used on the nickle slide or barrel. We look forward to reading your range report, along with pics.
                      Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Originally posted by mitchr View Post
                        Welcome to the forum Chief301. If you've browsed the forum I'm sure you've read about cleaning & lubing it good before shooting it because that stuff that comes on it is not a lubricant. Also, no solvents that contain ammonia should be used on the nickle slide or barrel. We look forward to reading your range report, along with pics.
                        Thanks. I did read about giving it a good cleaning and lube before shooting for the first time. I have the day off tomorrow, I'll probably do it then.

I'm also thinking about joining the Palo Alto Rifle and Pistol Club that Critterdoc mentioned a few posts back. It's only about 10 minutes from my house :)

Comment

Originally posted by Chief301 View Post
                          I'm also thinking about joining the Palo Alto Rifle and Pistol Club that Critterdoc mentioned a few posts back. It's only about 10 minutes from my house :)
                          Whereyat Chief! P.A. Is the best range I've ever frequented in South Louisiana, and it's not uncommon for myself and my regular range buddy to own the place when we arrive on weekday mornings. It's clean, well maintained, safe, and most often a fairly laid back spot for burning gun powder. It gets a bit busy on some weekends but never have I see all of the lanes/benches occupied. The only thing that I miss is steel but I understand with the emphasis on safety and non-negotiation over rules which are clearly available on the website. PA administrators will leave no doubt that they prioritize safety and that they expect all member to be involved in insuring that there is no cowboy-like behavior being tolerated and that no one exceeds the club's reasonable boundaries.

If you have never visited you might peek the calendar for matches. I assume that P.A. still allows visitor to visit on match days when the electric security gate is left open. I assume that the powers-that-be still allow non-members to register for and shoot in matches. If you look on the main page of the PA website you will see the names and contact information of the match directors who can confirm the visitors policy. On the whole members tend to be friendly, reasonably social, and quite willing to assist/advise novices if help is requested.

Now for the bad news. As far as I know, all available member slots were filled in April of this year when all memberships either renew or or forfeited and I believe that there are already several folks on the waiting list for April 2015 when membership rolls reopen next year. If you like what you see and P.A. feels right for you I would encourage you to get on the waiting list now and be ready to move if something perchance opens up in the meantime.
                          Non immemor beneficii / Crom a Boo / Islam delenda est
                          Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

Thanks for the info, Critterdoc! I did drive by there a week or so ago on my way home from work....I knew where it was but had never been back there before. There was some activity going on but the gate was closed so I couldn't drive in, which I suppose is as it should be.

I think weekdays would be an excellent time to go because I work shift work and I do have a lot of weekdays off. I guess I'll look into getting on the waiting list then for next year then. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Chief301 View Post
                              Thanks for the info, Critterdoc! I did drive by there a week or so ago on my way home from work....I knew where it was but had never been back there before. There was some activity going on but the gate was closed so I couldn't drive in, which I suppose is as it should be.

I think weekdays would be an excellent time to go because I work shift work and I do have a lot of weekdays off. I guess I'll look into getting on the waiting list then for next year then. Thanks!
                              Yes indeed, the gate is to be locked at all times and no one is allowed entry unless they are a member or a sponsored member's guest unless a match is ongoing (I think) which can be checked on the calendar: http://www.my.calendars.net/paloalto. But I'd suggest contacting one of the match directors ahead of time to confirm that access is still allowed by non member visitors on match days even if they are not registered for that particular match.

Weekdays are perfect for us, but weekends are fine too if we get their early enough. Hope you get to check it our in person soon.
                              Non immemor beneficii / Crom a Boo / Islam delenda est
                              Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

Well, finally got my hands on some "reasonably priced" ammo and my son and I went out today and put some rounds downrange (shot the SKS too but that's another forum :) ). I'll admit it's been a long time since I did any handgun shooting so I'm a little rusty. Wasn't sure quite what to expect from a .380 auto since my only previous experience was with my .357 magnum. I gotta say, what a sweet little pistol this is! Fun to shoot, not nearly the recoil I was expecting. I think I made a good purchase....I like this gun immensely

I had a little concern with magazines because I asked the dealer who I bought it from to also get me an extra mag, since the Bersa only comes with one. Having read some negative comments about aftermarket mags I specified that I wanted a Bersa factory mag, which he provided. However, the extra mag turned out to be a 7 round mag for the original Thunder 380 (the one with the pinky extension) and not the 8-round mag that comes standard with the CC model. I was concerned about compatibility but he told me that his supplier assured him they worked in the CC. At any rate he said try it and if it didn't work he'd take it back.

I did experience one failure to feed, on the very last round of the first magazine I shot (the 8 round CC mag). We didn't experience another failure after that, alternating between the 7 and 8 round mags without another hiccup. This was shooting Fiocchi FMJ ammo.

What would y'all consider a decent price for practice ammo? I checked my local hardware store/gun shop last week when I first got the gun and all they had was hollow point SD ammo, $20 for a box of 20. I may be willing to pay that for decent self defense rounds when I get my carry permit, but I thought it was a little steep for range ammo. Today I checked again and they had stocked some of the Fiocchi ammo, at $20 for a 50 round box. I thought that was much more reasonable so I picked up two boxes. Can I do much better than that if I buy online or is that about the going rate? I couldn't find it online much cheaper than that. As long as they keep it in stock I'd just as soon buy it there if there isn't a huge difference in price.

Comment

Working...
                                X