Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold Steel Royal Machete

New addition to my many Cold Steel
    Knives a Royal Machete. At $22.99 you will have a hard time beating it.
    With the weight forward it should be a good chopper.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017
    sigpic

Re: Cold Steel Royal Machete

Wicked
    Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

isn't that the weapon of choice in no guns allowed Europe?
      Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

Outstanding Karma! Please enter me into the Cold Steel Royal Machete and Bersa mouse-pad giveaway!

Oh, wait... nevermind.

Comment

Glad you got a good one RC. I received one as a gift that was bought at Academy and took it back after opening the package. I thought it was a POS. Instead I added to it and added another Tilite to the family in 6".
          Certified Armed Infidel .
          WARNING: All my ammo contains bacon grease for a one way ticket to hell!
          45/70 when Bacon is still on the hoof. Here Piggie Piggie and ISIS pigs.

Comment

That knife's shape is copied from the Nepalese Gurkha, called a kukri. Worn as full regalia of soldiers serving with the British armed forces, their first Spec Ops.

Comment

I had a kukri a number of years ago, very stout blade and a good chopper. Like most real kukris it was a big heavy weapon which handled differently than what I was used to, like the large bowie. They have a vastly different balance and you tend to snap the front heavy blade forward for a more powerful stroke with the kukri and I personally could not use it for long periods before wearing out my grip strength, I do believe there is a gripping technique I was not familiar with. I have long thought to get another and work harder with it to learn its mastery. I think these Cold Steel variations are a lot lighter yet still have the benefits of the weight forward design.

Comment

Because I don't have the upper body strength of my youth I need a blade that is heavy forward to do the work for me. My standard machete was bouncing off of the half inch branches. I tried this one on some crepe myrtle today (while my ribs were in the smoker ) using a long smooth swing and then letting the blade carry through. I was getting one strike cuts on the half inch ones and three strikes on the one inch.
                I placed the blade in a vice and used my big oil stone last night to put a real edge on the factory rough ground edge. I took off ten limbs and the blade shows no chipping or rolling.

No this isn't the "Forged in Fire" show so I didn't do an antler or bone chop test... nor will I do that to my blade.

Again for a cheap cutting tool that won't be used on a daily basis, I think I have a winner. I am going to round the handle edges, the square corners are not the best.
                In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017
                sigpic

Comment

Cold Steel has good products. That should fit the bill just fine.

Comment

I just got done using mine. It’s a yard tool for me. Crepe Myrtles tremble when I bring it out.
                    Yes... I know. She’ll get a cleaning and sharpening after dinner.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

Comment

Working...
                    X