Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boker Plus CLB Subcom F quick review

Big name for a little knife...

Ever since 2000, approximately, I have carried two knives as part of my every day carry. The first is a larger folder carried in my left hip pocket, being left handed this is my main knife. The second is what I call my offhand knife, meant to be used when my dominant hand is busy, or in conjunction with my main folder giving me a blade in each hand. This knife is carried clipped into my change pocket of my jeans. This means it has to be very small and very thin.

Since this blade is so small I prefer a Spyderco style serration on the blade, to give it extra cutting ability for a small size. The second criteria is that it be very small, very thin, light, open with one hand, either hand, and have a secure locking mechanism. This is the one knife I do not mind owning a liner, or Walker lock for. Being left handed using a liner lock can be a bit dangerous as the natural grip one uses places fingers on the liner and when gripped tightly presses the liner in the unlock direction, allowing the knife to occasionally close. Ask me how I know this…

In that time I have had two knives in this roll, sadly to say, each eventually ended up getting lost. The first was a Spyderco Q, a cool little blade which had a serrated blade with laser cutouts, wish I still had this little beast as they are rare these days and starting to command a pretty fair price. The second was a Spyderco Cricket which was a wicked little beast which cut way out of proportion to its size. It was like a small tiger claw. Well, last week somehow my sweet little cricket went bye bye. So I was in the unenviable task of replacing another blade. My first instinct was to simply buy another Cricket since it works so well, but after seeing the 100 plus dollar price tag, I did eventually find one for $75, I decided to see what else was out there. After a lot of searching, comparing specs against the Cricket, that really is an ideal size. Eventually I settled on trying the Boker Plus CLB Subcom F, a small blade which fit the parameters above. It is a slight bit wider than the Cricket but close enough to give it a try, and the price tag of $35 meant worse case scenario that I really do not like it, I can still buy the Cricket for $75 and be close to the list price of $100.

Giving the Boker a bit of a workout the past couple of days makes me think it just might work. Right out of the box it passed the wood dowel wrapped in foam rubber and then covered in an old leather jacket test. Several slashes cut deeply through the leather and foam, almost as nicely as the “claw” of the Cricket. After a lot of cutting the blade only needed a couple of passes on a ceramic Spyderco hone to be scary sharp again. It is easy to open one handed, although I still prefer the Spyderco hole, the thumb studs are large and tactile enough to find easily with a cold or wet thumb.

There are two areas that the Boker might actually improve on the Cricket, the first is that the liner lock is stiffer, considerably more. It is however still fairly easy to close with one hand. It just takes more downward pressure to hold it while pressing sideways. The second area is that the handle of the Cricket was an oval, making for very comfortable carry but being less than a ¼ inch thick it also was a bit hard to hold onto when cutting something fiberous, especially with a cold or wet hand. The Boker is square which fills the hand if not as comfortably as the oval, and it has scallops around the outside edges which make it easier to grip securely, again, maybe not as comfortably always but safer.

Well, we shall see in time how it works but so far it seems like a very nice little blade.

Click image for larger version

Name:	boker 5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	605724

Click image for larger version

Name:	boker 6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	605725
Working...
X