Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who Wants A Sharp Knife?

Let's Sharpen Those Knives.
    For years I have used stones for sharpening. Mainly a big Arkansas oilstone with a poly angle blocks to arrive at the correct angle.

I was looking for something that would make the process faster and give me a ridiculously sharp edge if I wanted.

A man at my gun club said to buy a work sharp. I found one online at a reasonable price but they had another one with larger belts and fully adjustable.

So who do I confer with, none other than TuxAir. Well, guess what? He had the upgrade called a Ken Onion edition and said that is the one for me.

Well here it is:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Work Sharp Ken Onion.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	82.4 KB ID:	623973

My Kudu getting its edge...Final stage 12,000 grit stropping.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Stropping 12,000 grit.png Views:	1 Size:	484.7 KB ID:	623974

Harbor Freight ammo box for storage.

Click image for larger version  Name:	The Box Harbor Freight.jpg Views:	1 Size:	49.6 KB ID:	623975

Angle instructions for different blades.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Angle Inst..jpg Views:	1 Size:	59.0 KB ID:	623976

Well, it cost about $125 delivered. I have knives valued over $400 each! But even the cheap Kudu deserves the best.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

Nice. I have the original Worksharp and I do love it. I use it on my everyday kitchen knives the ones I allow the family to touch, lol, and cheap beaters.
    I don't use it on the Benchmades or my really expensive kitchen knives for one reason, it rounds the points off the tips and i haven't found a way to prevent it on the original.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

"The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Comment

To prevent rounding, you stop the WS motor while the point is in the middle of the belt. Then lift the knife off the belt. It took some getting used to. I practiced on dollar store knives and quickly saw the rounding of the point.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

Comment

Agreed, to stop the motor when the point is centered. so far my tips are perfect. I saw this warning online when they were demonstrating this works sharp.

This machine does a great job on rounded shovels, I had to cut back some sod to make a water trench to the city drain in my neighborhood. I flipped the unit forward so just the belt hit the shovel and used the 120 grit. That shovel became a weapon and did quick work taking out the sod.
        In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

Comment

Working...
        X