Smith and Wesson 1700LS??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smith and Wesson 1700LS??

Hey all.. anyone have any experience or ever owned a Smith & Wesson 1700LS Bolt Action 30-06?? I have a chance to buy one from a co-worker for a pretty cheap price. (He's throwing in a scope, gun locker and hard case too...)

I've researched the rifle and know that its made by Howa (japan) for S&W but I was just curious as to anyone's experience with it. Thanks.

Re: Smith and Wesson 1700LS??

It's a great rifle. I recently went through a Weatherby Vanguard (same gun) and did a deep cleaning for a friend, I would have no hesitation buying one for a good price.
    "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Comment

I have one I use as my primary deer hunting rifle. Very good gun. Buy it if price is right
      sigpic REDNECK 4 LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by 1ton454 View Post
        I have one I use as my primary deer hunting rifle. Very good gun. Buy it if price is right
        I got the rifle this morning with a hard case (ugly green..lol) and a steel, 7 gun, gun cabinet for $250 bucks. I think I did good...lol Rifle needs a little TLC but is nice. Its my first bolt action rifle.

Comment

Since you are in a firearm non friendly state, I will be glad to purchase this future thorn in your side so you won't loose any money when they confiscate it.

But seriously yes Rambo, I think others will think you did good and I for one am one of those. Pictures and a range report would be very nice also. BTW, what kind of scope came with it?
          Certified Armed Infidel .
          WARNING: All my ammo contains bacon grease for a one way ticket to hell!
          45/70 when Bacon is still on the hoof. Here Piggie Piggie and ISIS pigs.

Comment

For $250 you did well. Did you get an extra mag or just the one?

Comment

Just the one mag.... Its not it great shape but it hasn't been shot in almost 16 years. The scope is okay Redfield 4x. For the gun, scope, case and gun locker I think I did okay. Just some quick pics which are bad. Will get more up when she's clean and pretty. @GTGeorge... this state is INSANE!!!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0513.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	595266Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0516.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	595267

Comment

Looks like you got a few more accessories than mentioned with the sling and ammo sleeve. Looks nice enough where I would even let ya make a few bucks LOL. Nice find.

Comment

Many thanks gtgeorge.. any thoughts on that Redfield scope?? This is my first bolt gun and first scoped gun for that matter. I'm embarrased to say I'm relatively ignorant in this realm. How would this gun stack up against a Remington 700 or rifle like that. What would be a better scope? Bolt is a little rough.. any suggestions there?? I certainly thank you all in advance!!

Comment

My mistake mine is a smith and wesson model 1500 30-06
                    sigpic REDNECK 4 LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by rambo_k9 View Post
                      Many thanks gtgeorge.. any thoughts on that Redfield scope?? This is my first bolt gun and first scoped gun for that matter. I'm embarrased to say I'm relatively ignorant in this realm. How would this gun stack up against a Remington 700 or rifle like that. What would be a better scope? Bolt is a little rough.. any suggestions there?? I certainly thank you all in advance!!
                      I would suggest trying it out and seeing how she shoots and then start looking into a scope to match. I have no experience with Redfield personally. Most say to spend a fortune on glass and I am a cheapskate at heart. I have several 4x16x40 Center Points that I have liked for hunting because if I beat em up they are cheap. I like mil-dot and high magnification. I like them better than the Bushnell and Leupold I have but they aren't top of the line for their brand either.The one I have on my 7mm mag has been replaced twice due to the recoil chipping the inside of the glass but remain zeroed well.

If you plan on good glass there are a couple threads here that gave great recommendations and I am actually going to give them a reread when I get ready for a real scope for the 7 soon. We have a couple members here that know scopes and will guide you in the right direction based on your intentions for use. I wouldn't want a high $ scope on something that would get banged around hunting or if you don't plan long range.

Comment

Redfield used to be one of the top names in scopes, along with Leupold who now owns them. No question you scored for $250.

Comment

Originally posted by 1ton454 View Post
                          My mistake mine is a smith and wesson model 1500 30-06
                          The difference between a 1500 and 1700 is a removable magazine. Same action.

That Redfield is a tank. If you decide you don't like it or want a variable power, I'll buy it off you.

How does it compare to a 700? Depends on the 700. They are quite similar in basic design and hold their own with each other.

Comment

I read several years back that they had a recall at one time on the 1500 something about gun firing while chambering a round if I remember correctly. I looked the numbers up on mine and it was ok. I really like mine
                            sigpic REDNECK 4 LIFE

Comment

Wow... what a beast...LOL Had her out to the range today. According to last owner and the crud in the barrell, the rifle hadn't been shot in almost 20 years. Cleaned it yestarday. First three shots at 100 yards were to the right but center mass. (Firing on Q target, doing off duty qual as well) Friend of mine who was there and very familar with bolt guns and scopes dialed it in for me and it shot very nice. Only able to put 12 rounds down range but it was interesting. That puppy has some power...lol Thanks for everyone's input.

Comment

Working...
                              X