New to AR's... Any "Need To Know's"???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to AR's... Any "Need To Know's"???

The wife and I were at a gun bash over the weekend.
    Went away with an Andersons Manufacturing AM15, 5.56/223, optic ready, 30rd mag, 16" barrel.

This is my first AR type rifle. Any need to knows or should knows before we take it to the range?

I've got the field stripping down but unsure of how often the gas tube needs to be/should be cleaned and how?

It's got a rail on the back end but none in front (barrel end). All I have for any type of optic right now is a cheap red dot I got years ago that I used on a pellet gun. I like to have some kind of iron sights also.

So.... what do those with knowledge have to enlighten me?

AR1.jpg

AR2.jpg
    (3) Bersa Thunder .380's
    ≡≡≡1- Nickel Plated≡≡≡
    ≡≡≡≡2- Duo Tone ≡≡≡≡
    ≡≡≡3- Blued Deluxe≡≡≡
    <And a 9rd mag for each>

تناول المزيد من لحم الخنزير المقدد

The "UTG Model 4/16 Complete Match-grade Rear Sight" (part# MNT-950RS02-B) has done me very well on flat top uppers. A2 rear sight. windage and elevation. easily adjustable, and can be set/calibrated to battle sight zero using the standard methods used by our military. Allows for room for an optic and co-witness.

I forgot to add, they make a matching front sight as well that mounts on a railed gas block or railed forend. I don't have the name/part number info on those though.
    Last edited by TuxAir; 01-21-2019, 02:23 PM. Reason: Added info.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

Comment

What Tux said.
      For a front you have some options too.
      1. A free float forend with some rail to add a front sight. I like M-Lock styles myself.
      2. An A2 gas block front sight.
      3. A railed gas block.

If it were me, I'd play with it for a while with the red dot or a scope. If I still wanted irons I'd go with the forend.

"The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Comment

Thanks guys!

I ditched the cheap-ass red dot.... back on the pellet gun. Picked up a Vortex Sparc AR. Moderately priced and nice reviews. The lifetime guarantee is awesome too!!
        Seeing as this will spend most of it's time as a paper killer, that should be fine for awhile.

Also picked up a 10rd PMAG and 200rds of bulk ammo for now. That emptied out what was left on an old gift card I had from the gun shop.
        More mags and ammo will surely come as this western PA weather gets more shooter friendly!

Found out a guy at work, who turns out to be a gunsmith, has an account at Brownell's. Offered to get me anything I'm interested in through him for a slight discount to regular store prices.
        (3) Bersa Thunder .380's
        ≡≡≡1- Nickel Plated≡≡≡
        ≡≡≡≡2- Duo Tone ≡≡≡≡
        ≡≡≡3- Blued Deluxe≡≡≡
        <And a 9rd mag for each>

تناول المزيد من لحم الخنزير المقدد

Comment

You asked about cleaning out the gas tube. When I was in the Marines, we used CLP for everything and pipe cleaners...the long ones. I don't do it that way anymore, for you DO NOT want to have ANY obstruction in that tube. I usually use a synthetic safe blast free cleaner, then blow it out with compressed air.

Comment

Congrats on your ar. So far the best ammo price is at palmetto state armory. Get the 150 round box for around 43 dollars. Then you get a rebate. As to sights I use trinity force as they are cheap but hold zero well. They have some nice lower parts to jaz up your ar. I currently have 2 ar’s. One from swat firearms in 5.56/223 and a Frankenstein in sharps 25/45. I am in the process of building an ar10 in .308 and an upper for Wilson combat 300 ham’r. Anderson is a very good company. These rifles are easy to shoot for anyone. My granddaughter started shooting mine at 4. Again congrats and happy shooting.
            “Fate whispered in the warriors ear.” You cannot weather the storm. “The warrior whispered back. I am the storm.”

Comment

Working...
            X