Winchester 100 - 308

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winchester 100 - 308

Picked this up this week end at a gun show. Fired one round to make sure it was working. Also picked up 50 rounds of 7.62 NATO ammo. Many people don't like the M14 but I loved it - too bad we only had the M1 Garand and M16 in the Air Force.

Serial numbers shows it is from 1964. The scope is a Pentax 4-12x40. There were two at the show and they both looked the same and well kept - one was $1000, one was $550. Both had scopes. I'll give you one guess which one I bought. The one thing I didn't get and really should have was at least one more magazine. I've seen them for almost $100 each on the Internet.
    Winchester 100.jpg
    Certified Armed Infidel

Nice find Roberts!

Comment

Like that! Pentax has excellent glass. Used a Pentax for many years in my surveying business.
      Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Right after buying this I tangled with some poison ivy and have been out of commission for several weeks. Yesterday I was finally able to get it to a range to have the scope zeroed the way I like it - 2.3 inches high at 100 yards. That gives me a trajectory of +- 3 inches from 0 to 270 yards and only 6 inches low at 300. I am still in a lot of pain and shaky so I had one of their guys do it for me. He said the (50 years old) was "cantakerours" and got hot fairly quickly so it took him a while, and 13 rounds, but was able to get it to within a 3 inch circle - and that is outside of hole to outside, not center to center. It could be it is not too happy with NATO rounds and would be happier with 150 gr and 180 gr soft points. By my calculations a 180 gr within 2 inches at 250 yards will take down a Texas hog.

I wish he'd saved the target but he didn't. I know, no photo, I didn't happen but I had driven 30 miles to find a rifle range and was in pain so I didn't argue. Who knew that in Northern Texas you couldn't find a thousand public rifle ranges
        Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

You may have to test that Win 100 with 150, 16? and 180 grain bullets (expanding hunting bullets) to see what she really likes. She will have a preference. And that is what you should go with and zero for that round. I did this with my new Sauer 100 30-06 and was pleased to find she liked 165 grain in general and not too bad with 180 but didn't like 150. So I bought a case of Fiocchi 165 soft point that she likes and I want to nail a deer with it now to see how it performs. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a hog, coyote or bobcat either.

Comment

My SIL gave me 40 rounds of Remington 150gr UMC FMJ and 20 rounds of 180gr Remington Core-Lokt PSP. The group he works with asked him to go hog hunting but suggested his AR would not be a good fit. I plan on taking this rifle to the indoor range and shooting 3 rounds each of the NATO, UMCs, and PSPs at 100 yards to see how they work out. I think the 180gr PSPs would be the best for hogs.

But I didn't get this rifle for hunting - I got it and 300 NATO rounds, just in case.
            Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

Working...
            X