Maverick 88 home defense 12 gauge..DIY

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maverick 88 home defense 12 gauge..DIY

I was looking to buy a 18 to 20 inch barrell 12 gauge for HD. I looked around at several dealers in my area and they were selling them as fast as they could get them. The two I did find were Maverick 88's with 18.5 inch barrells, both were jacked up about $100 over MSRP (Maverick was advertising $226).

I kind of gave up for awhile as $300 plus was a little more than I wanted to pay for a Shotgun I would probably never fire. Then one day wandering through a Wal-mart I had not been in before, I spotted two show cases of rifles and shotguns. I thought they were out of the gun business but it turns out a few still carry long guns.

Long story short, I bought a Maverick 88 12gauge, 28" accu choke, ventilated rib, 6 shot 3 inch chambered pump for $185. Placed an order at Cheaper than dirt for a Mossberg 500 18.5 IC barrell for $74 and ended up with a decent field gun and my HD that I wanted for $259, plus local sales tax on the Wally gun.

Re: Maverick 88 home defense 12 gauge..DIY

Nice. The Mavericks are a decent shotty for the money. I recently traded mine off and have had some slight pangs of regret.
    I am looking to get a semi-auto this time though. The wife doesn't seem to be able to pump under any duress and she needs to be able to use it too.
    "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Comment

Originally posted by PHMadness View Post
      The wife doesn't seem to be able to pump under any duress and she needs to be able to use it too.
      They have sweet looking O&U, Davidson's have it on their site for a peek.

Comment

I'm thinking if you wanted it for HD only, that a dollar-two 98 hack saw from Harbor Freight would have fixed it for ya on the cheap. Then again, if you have a use for a field gun you made the right choice.
        Certified Armed Infidel

Si vis pacem, para bellum <if you want peace, prepare for war>

Comment

Remember a pistol grip and hip shooting, not the answer for shot gun. Learn to use full stock . Leave the pistol grip and folding stock for movies . If you have a pistol grip with full stock you way ahead .
          If your a shot gunner Try tucking stock between body and arm . Hold hand on stock in normal manner and the V of arm pressing stock into side . Gives good hold . You can now fire fast and with some accuracy by using you body as a turrent and turning it . As you turn and look barrel will be tracking This type of shooting way better than those hurt you hand plastic pistol grips . You shot gun is controlable about same length as pistol grip only and you will hit. You then can bring to shoulder if needed and fire that way in a sec.
          That said I stil;l belive shot gun should be a defense fix position weapon. To large for room clearance Light and pistol much better . (no 357 or 44 mag shooting in side home . ) Down load those to 38 spl and 44 spl. Shooting in side is not range with muffs . It is very loud Remember rooms are small and ceiling is 7 maybe 8' Range open huge and high ceiling .
          Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Comment

Originally posted by Liveneasy View Post
            I'm thinking if you wanted it for HD only, that a dollar-two 98 hack saw from Harbor Freight would have fixed it for ya on the cheap. Then again, if you have a use for a field gun you made the right choice.
            That's some what true. But best cut a20" to make up for your mistakes and use a pipe cutter not a hack saw . You will still need to snooth in side and end of barrel. Barrel must be square not cut crooked .
            Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

"Just say "Lay A Way"

Comment

Originally posted by Liveneasy View Post
              The barrell I would have been cutting was a 28 inch ventilated rib with the accu choke. My first plan was to sell it on Craig's list for $75 it is $153 from Mossberg. I had checked items on Craigs and there were several items listed PARTS ONLY including a Remington Barrell. So I listed it carefully worded so it was identified as a Part not a gun. Some body or more complained and Craigs pulled my ad so I kept it for now.

I also read some where when cutting a barrell down to play safe on length because a LEO may have his own measuring idea, also the article claimed the barrel must have a front sight or bead.

Comment

article claimed the barrel must have a front sight or bead
                Never heard that. But its easy to do drill and tap or now their other kinds out their Must be carefull on ventrib to cut near mounting point . Keep it If you up grade you will have a better set up to sell or trade.
                Certified Armed Infidel

"Just say "Lay A Way"

Comment

I have a Remington 870 youth 20 gauge that my kids used when they were little. Its short barrel and stock make it an excellent HD weapon, very easy to maneuver in tight spaces. THe value of semi-autos for smaller individuals who don't shoot often is not just the difficulty of the pump action...semi-autos reduces recoil as well. (Same issue with an O/U, and only two shots). But you CAN'T go cheap and sacrifice reliability in a SD weapon. The minimum I would go with for a reliable autoloader would be a Remington 1187 and use some decent loads to ensure recycling. If you really want to treat her like a queen, get her a Benelli Motefeltro youth model 20 gauge...easy to handle and sweet to shoot (but over a grand).

I will say that pumps are not an issue with practice. My son was shooting skeet with the 20 gauge pump and at 10 years old was consistently hitting 20-23 targets out of 25...no problems with doubles at all. It became second nature with practice.

Comment

I bought one a few years back. Short barrel 12-g and pistol grip. I put three rounds through it and said enough. I bought a shoulder stock with pistol grip and my local gunsmith installed it for me. I still haven't fired it since the mod.

I also got a good deal on the 20 and it's the 26 or 28 inch barrel.

I think the pump is great for HD. It's that universal sound. The bad guy, after hearing that sound, should hi-tail it.

Comment

I think the pump is great for HD. It's that universal sound. The bad guy, after hearing that sound, should hi-tail it.
                      That another myth that just won't die . If its so scary then just record and set up alarm. That when tripped plays the sound. Then you can sleep and that evil noise will drive them off. BG may or my not fear the sound. First off, should be no sound except slight click as safety is turned off . Next should be loud boom that you will hear but he likey won't as the OObuck is faster than sound.
                      Certified Armed Infidel

"Just say "Lay A Way"

Comment

Originally posted by rangefinder View Post
                        Some where, some day, in a universe far far away that myth will finally die.
                        "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Comment

If one chambers the round loud enough, maybe. Hollywood has always loved that action with firearms. I do pause when I hear it still when someone does it at my USPSA events before he/she is getting ready for their turn on the stage.
                          “Big bullets let in a lot of air and let out a lot of blood.”
                          -
                          Elmer Keith

Comment

It’s the last thing two burglary suspects expected to hear when they broke into a Coon Rapids home. From within the house came the unmistakable sound of a pump shotgun.
                            With a single pump of her 12-gauge shotgun, the would-be burglars bolted out the door and through the backyard.

“Yes, a shotgun racking is something you don’t forget if you’ve ever heard one. So, it frightened these two suspects off right away, they took off running,” said Coon Rapids Police Captain John Hattstrom.
                            http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2011/1...arts-burglars/

Happened one week ago so I guess there's a first time for everything.
                            Cogito, ergo armatus sum. I think, therefore I am armed.

Comment

Originally posted by PHMadness View Post
                              Some where, some day, in a universe far far away that myth will finally die.
                              In a universe far far away, in a time long ago, a police officer pulled a 12-gauge pump on us. I wasn't taking the thing very serious until I heard that sound. Gotta say, to this day, there is no more sobering sound I've heard in the 50+ years of my life.
                              Just because everybody's out to get me doesn't mean I'm paranoid...

Comment

Working...
                              X