52 Year Old Topper Model 158 410ga. Shotgun

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

52 Year Old Topper Model 158 410ga. Shotgun

I was at my mom & dads today and decided to check up on my 410 that my father borrowed 15 years ago because he can't shoot anything larger since his double shoulder surgery. This 410 was given to me by my grandfather when I was only 4 years old. I was shocked when my dad handed it to me.

It is covered in rust, the wood has lost all it's shine and is bare in several places, and there is rust or something inside the chamber. The gun has not been oiled or cleaned in properly 15 years. I was fuming mad. This was the first gun I ever owned and learned to shoot on. It broke my heart guys, I never let a gun get in this condition.

Now I need help from all the experts on how to salvage my gun. The wood I'm not concerned about, I can easily take care of it. It's the metal I'm worried about. What can i use to stop and clean off the rust without destroying the blue on the gun?

Here's a few photos so you can see what I'm up against.

Oh, almost forgot, there does not appear to be a serial number on this gun. At least I've yet to find one. Any Ideas where to look?
    Certified Well Armed Infidel

Re: 52 Year Old Topper Model 158 410ga. Shotgun

Probably doesn't have a serial #. They weren't required back in the day. Not sure when it was made mandatory, 1968 maybe?

As far as rust, 0000 steel wool and Kroil. The name escapes me but Brownells is selling a "warm" blue that you hear the metal with a heat gun and apply the blue that looks very promising to me, I have not tried it yet though.
    The wool and Kroil may be enough by itself.

Sorry to see your treasure rusty. I've had similar experiences with other items.
    "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Comment

Falcon, save yourself a lot of grief and contact H&R and make arrangements to send the receiver in and get a brand new barrel. It will cost you about $75. Check the pricing and procedures on H&R1871 site. If the gun has a serial # there will also be the last three numbers of the serial on the side of the barrel bottom. If you get the new barrel, that would only leave you to clean the wood and receiver face where the firing pin is. I would bet if you do send the receiver in to H&R, they will probably clean up the rust on it for you. Good luck. I love those old H&R's.

Comment

Both are good ideas!!
        I had an old H&R Topper (12 ga.) back in the early 70's! It was all I could afford back then, man I loved that gun! Unfortunately I sold it to a friend of mine that I used to hunt with before we moved to CA. Certainly wish I still had that gun!
        Good luck with your project!
        MO

Bersa T22
        SW 22A
        Taurus Model 94, 22
        Kel Tec P32
        Bersa T380 Duo-Tone
        Ruger SR9
        Colt Trooper MKIII 357 (1969)
        Kimber SS Target II
        YADA
        YADA
        YADA

Comment

As much as I understand your irritation, Falcon, I hope you're not holding a grudge against dear old dad. If you compare lists, I'm sure the expense of raising you is far greater than the restoration cost of your old bang stick. Just sayin'.
          Never give the devil a ride. He will always want to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by PHMadness View Post
            Probably doesn't have a serial #. They weren't required back in the day. Not sure when it was made mandatory, 1968 maybe?

As far as rust, 0000 steel wool and Kroil. The name escapes me but Brownells is selling a "warm" blue that you hear the metal with a heat gun and apply the blue that looks very promising to me, I have not tried it yet though.
            The wool and Kroil may be enough by itself.

Sorry to see your treasure rusty. I've had similar experiences with other items.
            Kroil and BRASS 0000 wool (or finer) were the first things that came to mind while reading the OP.... Even completely dunking the metal parts in Kroil have been known to work wonders.
            sigpic

Tony P Crochet

You can't say that here !!!

Comment

Originally posted by gun sane View Post
              As much as I understand your irritation, Falcon, I hope you're not holding a grudge against dear old dad. If you compare lists, I'm sure the expense of raising you is far greater than the restoration cost of your old bang stick. Just sayin'.
              Huh???? I never said I was pissed at my dad. I said I was fuming mad as in he neglected a gun that was loaned to him by me. I never let him know how I felt. I can't count the number of times that I've been blamed for something by him that I did not do. One time he crashed his John Deere tractor and then tried to blame me for the damage the next time I used it. Luckily I saw the damage before hand and asked mom and she told me all about what happened. I was ready for him when he tried to blame it on me. Its a game he plays, called blame some one else for his mistakes so it's no big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Tsalam View Post
                Falcon, save yourself a lot of grief and contact H&R and make arrangements to send the receiver in and get a brand new barrel. It will cost you about $75. Check the pricing and procedures on H&R1871 site. If the gun has a serial # there will also be the last three numbers of the serial on the side of the barrel bottom. If you get the new barrel, that would only leave you to clean the wood and receiver face where the firing pin is. I would bet if you do send the receiver in to H&R, they will probably clean up the rust on it for you. Good luck. I love those old H&R's.
                Don't think I want to go that far. I'll work on it and clean it up the best I can. It is a work gun, not a show piece. It has hunted hard and will continue to as long as it will last. I just want to stop and prevent any more rust.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon View Post
                  I can't count the number of times that I've been blamed for something by him that I did not do. ................Its a game he plays, called blame some one else for his mistakes so it's no big deal.
                  I'm thinking I wouldn't be hanging out with my dad much.

Comment

Originally posted by PHMadness View Post
                    I'm thinking I wouldn't be hanging out with my dad much.
                    Thats why I live 50 miles away.

Comment

How did this turn out?

Comment

Man o man.Did I ever read that topic title wrong.
                        I was expecting a 52 Year Old Top Model but I cast eyes on the sorry state of your H&R. My FIL's Marlin 336 (in 35 Rem) was in real bad shape after being put away dirty and never cleaned since the early sixties. Marlin did a great job finding me some replacement parts. The receiver plates however were not to be had. I used a lot of kroil baths and super fine brass wool. The finished product was good but not great. About 75% of the blueing remained. I ended up having it re-blued.
                        The wood will be the easy part for you. I took the existing finish down and and used tung oil to restore the wood's finish. It looks great.
                        If I were you, I would contact H&R before you do anything.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

Comment

I took it down as far as I could, cleaned it with Hoppes like normal, got alot of the rust to stop as I gave it an oil bath and just stopped. I am really discussed about it and just don't want to deal with it right now. I guess I'm gonna have to though as I do not want it to get worse.

Comment

Falcon, I have the same exact shotgun that I want to re-blue. How did you remove the barrel?

Comment

Originally posted by dookiejenkins View Post
                              Falcon, I have the same exact shotgun that I want to re-blue. How did you remove the barrel?
                              Remove the fore grip, you will pull out at the top of the fore grip and it will pop off. The break open the gun and it will unhinge. It's real simple to tear it down, you will end up with 3 pieces. Thats af far as I take mine down, I havent figured how to pull the trigger assy.

As Far as an update on the gun I've really not done anything else as I got busy with work and haven't had time. As soon as it gets closer to Dove season I will get more in the mood to finish it. It has taken lots of Doves.

Comment

Working...
                              X