Am I getting a fair trade?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I getting a fair trade?

I have an earlier model Remington 870 Express Magnum, purchased about 25 years ago. There's no "Magnum" on the receiver, but there is an "M" on the serial number, which, according to Remington, makes it a magnum. It is parkerized, 28" barrel, with screw-in chokes.

A gentleman wants to trade his Mossberg 500 for it, but this is how he describes it:

My shotgun is a WesternField model 550AB (which is, I think, the store brand for Montgomery Ward) which is a Mossberg model 500
    Does anyone think this is a fair trade or a good deal?
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

I would say no? I love Remington 870. My favorite all purpose pump shotgun.
    "Character is much easier kept than recovered." Thomas Paine

Comment

Re: Am I getting a fair trade?

The performance of the two are quite simalar, the one built for wards would have less resale, and they usually bought bottom of the line, cheap wood and maybe no sight ramp, or recoil pad. If yours has nice wood, and a sight ramp why would you want to trade it anyway. Sounds like you have nothing to gain, the Ward's name is worth less. I worked for wards in high school and part of collage, and I would not buy a gun with thier name on it then, and bought two guns from them while I worked there. All 12ga. marked 3" or 3 1/2" are magnum by the way.

Comment

I can't see any good reason whatsoever for the trade.
        "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Comment

I appreciate all this. Saved myself from getting (insert bad word here).
          A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Comment

No to trade The 870 has a better action than any moss , I have a 870 Wingmaster and it feel like on ball bearing when you work the action . Moss I have fired like sliding a skid compaired to the Rem
            Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
              I appreciate all this. Saved myself from getting (insert bad word here).
              Whew, you did right backing out on that one. Why would you want to get rid of the 870? A very good all purpose shotgun.
              Certified Well Armed Infidel

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon View Post
                Whew, you did right backing out on that one. Why would you want to get rid of the 870? A very good all purpose shotgun.
                I didn't really WANT to get rid of my 870. I just desperately need a short barrel, being I live out in the boonies. And extreme financial difficulties (thanks, Barack) are preventing me from buying a simple barrel.

Comment

Keep your eyes on the yard sales and classifieds. I have seen Maverick 88's with 18 or 20 inch barrels for less than an 870 barrel alone.They aren't fancy but they are fine reliable HD guns.

Comment

Originally posted by PHMadness View Post
                    Keep your eyes on the yard sales and classifieds. I have seen Maverick 88's with 18 or 20 inch barrels for less than an 870 barrel alone.They aren't fancy but they are fine reliable HD guns.
                    This reminds me of an incident that happened a few weeks ago. I was returning the neighbor's pony. I got to his house walked a half mile down the road with a pony in tow. I knocked. He answered the door with an old Browning 20 gauge shotgun with a 30 inch barrel. "Goin' hunting?" I asked. "Nope. Its for pest and thief control." Now, all I could think was... how in the world is he going to maneuver a long shotgun like that in his small country home?

I hope he never has to. Average 911 response time out here is more than 45 minutes, sometimes much more.

Comment

(thanks, Barack) are preventing me from buying a simple barrel.
                      What am I missing you can't buy a barrel any more . Since when . Buy a barrel and have it cut to 20 inches . mine was a cyl bore barrel cut to 18 1/2 had to be recut do to bad 1/2 A$$ gunsmith cut and now 18. That why you cut at 20.

Seems several 1000 for sale if you google 870 shotgun barrels for sale.
                      Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

"Just say "Lay A Way"

Comment

Originally posted by Michael T View Post
                        What am I missing you can't buy a barrel any more . Since when . Buy a barrel and have it cut to 20 inches . mine was a cyl bore barrel cut to 18 1/2 had to be recut do to bad 1/2 A$$ gunsmith cut and now 18. That why you cut at 20.
                        I was trying to imply that the economy is bad, so I can't afford a simple HD barrel. I thought cutting a barrel is illegal? How does one put the bead sight on it if the barrel is cut?

Comment

You buy a bead and have a machine shop or gunsmith drill and tap for that bead. You can cut all you want as long as barrels are at least 18" I suggest for safety you cut at 20"
                          Certified Armed Infidel

"Just say "Lay A Way"

Comment

Originally posted by Michael T View Post
                            What am I missing you can't buy a barrel any more.
                            I believe it's Baracks economy preventing it.

Damned slow phone typing .....

I have two old shotguns with no beads I have used as practice.
                            I started at 28" or so and they're both 20" now. I think I cut each one at least four or five times.
                            Last edited by PHMadness; 09-06-2012, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Stop triping and sticking them in the mud when hunting . Or at least clean barrel before shooting
                              Certified Armed Infidel

"Just say "Lay A Way"

Comment

Working...
                              X