Slug barrel question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slug barrel question

I recently purchased a Mossberg 500 .410 at an auction. I want to get a slug barrel for it. I have been spending time on the www and understand that Mossberg no longer makes a slug barrel for that particular model. I emailed Mossberg several weeks ago but no response yet. I also have read where you can ream the full choke and open it so rifle slugs can be fired. Another solution was to cut the barrel back to the first rib on barrel. This will open the choke enough to fire slugs. Anyone have any actual knowledge with modifing shotgun full chokes to shoot rlifled slugs. I have no experience with slug barrels. Thank you in advance.
    TO BE UNARMED IS TO BE A VICTIM

Re: Slug barrel question

You can fix the choke problem, but the barrel will still not be rifled and therefore will still not be very accurate with slugs. What do you want to hunt with it?

Comment

Not to be contracictory, but you can shoot foster slugs through a full choke .410. Have taken white tail up to 40 yards with one. Shoot and practise until you can closely guesstimate the yardage (distance) until you know the drop at varying distances. While not exceptionally accurate with a full choke, they do have the kinetic energy to get the job done. I would cut the barrel such that you are just at the cylinder bore, which will improve accuracy, although when shoot shot the spread will suffer.
      Last edited by USNRETIRED; 02-22-2013, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by douggreen View Post
        You can fix the choke problem, but the barrel will still not be rifled and therefore will still not be very accurate with slugs. What do you want to hunt with it?
        I want to get back into Deer hunting. Hunting from a stand isn't quite so hard on an old time like me. I will be using rifled slugs which I thought just as accuracte as shooting smooth slugs through a rifled barrel. My last Deer hunting was many moons ago with a Hawken .50 that I assembled out of a Dixie Works Kit. Never have even fired a shotgun slug.

Comment

Originally posted by USNRETIRED View Post
          Not to be contracictory, but you can shoot foster slugs through a full choke .410. Have taken white tail up to 40 yards with one. Shoot and practise until you can closely guesstimate the yardage (distance) until you know the drop at varying distances. While not exceptionally accurate with a full choke, they do have the kinetic energy to get the job done. I would cut the barrel such that you are just at the cylinder bore, which will improve accuracy, although when shoot shot the spread will suffer.
          Mossberg does not recommend shooting a slug with a full choke. I don't want to jeopardize the warranty. I have an 12 gauge 870, maybe I will just buy a slug barrel for it. The only problem, at 75, kick is not good. Trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by ParaCav View Post
            I want to get back into Deer hunting. Hunting from a stand isn't quite so hard on an old time like me. I will be using rifled slugs which I thought just as accuracte as shooting smooth slugs through a rifled barrel. My last Deer hunting was many moons ago with a Hawken .50 that I assembled out of a Dixie Works Kit. Never have even fired a shotgun slug.
            I tried to do a lot of research a couple of years ago when looking into a rifled barrel for my Berretta 391. Lots of contradictory information and others may disagree, but this is what I concluded. FOR 12 GAUGE, I personally would not use a rifled slug in a smooth bore barrel if I planned on taking shots beyond 100 yards. A rifled barrel designed to use higher pressure Sabot slugs...you can reach out closer to 200 yards.

Another thing to consider...some states require a scope or in some cases a rear sight to hunt deer with slugs (you want this anyway if you are shooting beyond 50 yards). You need to make sure your setup accommodates this. Slug barrels usually come with either a scope mount or rear site integrated.

Comment

Benneke has some .410 slugs that take "all chokes". Max effective range of a .410 slug is not very impressive, maybe 40-45 yds tops. I have ordered some Benneke slugs and will test them on the range, just for my own curosity. I will be 76 before the 2013 Deer season opens, so I am thinking, nix the Deer hunting altogether. Getting too damn old for such things.

Comment

I wouldn't want to hunt deer with a 410 slug. I think little light . 20 be better than 410. I agree 12 getting be a bit much I fired some 3 " buck while back. I don't know who be hurt worst me or the bad guy. 2 rounds out of my Rossi coach and that smarts .
                Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Comment

I shoot rifled slugs out of a 12 ga 870 with a modified choke. It's good out to 100 yards, but I don't go beyond that.... the drop at that range is a bit much. I use a red dot on that one, which keeps me from being able to take too long of a shot.
                  3rd Degree Blackbelt in Klik Pao.
                  "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to the do the job"

Comment

410 hunting for deer you are probably limited to under 50 yards, preferably closer. If you had not already bought the 410 I would say try to find a decent used 243. Similar light recoil and much better for hunting deer.

Comment

You can't hunt Deer in commie land with a rifle unless it's Black Powder. I didn't buy it to hunt Deer, that is just a second thought. I bought the .410 at an Estate auction. Got it for a song. In the box manual, lock, and the receipt. I doubt it has ever been fired. Couldn't pass it up. Got some PDX1 and buckshot from midwayusa. All have to do is "stick it out the window and fire a couple blasts, or shoot through the door to scare intruders away". Badass little home defense shotgun.

Comment

Working...
                      X