Good Inexpensive Shotguns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Inexpensive Shotguns

If Bersa made a shotgun, I wouldn't be asking , it would be a no brainer. But, since they don't, what is a decent inexpensive shotgun? I really don't want to spend more than about $400 or so. This one would be more for target (trap) shooting rather than defense.

Apparently, the Saiga 12 is frowned upon at the shotgun range (not that I have one anyway). I guess they don't think you need 50 rounds to blast away two clay pigeons.

Re: Good Inexpensive Shotguns

I'm partial to the good ole Remington 870 pump. Can be had for under $350 a 28" 12 gauge.

Comment

+1 on the 870.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Retired LEO
      NRA Member

Comment

Mossberg 500 for $300 or a Maverick 88 for $198.

Comment

Most dealers have good used shot guns at reasonable price. So you might find a hi dollar gun used in your price range . My self I like a double barrel for all around use.
          Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Comment

When I worked at a union machine shop back in the late 60's I was on a trap team the union sponsered. After about a month I switched from my pre 1959 Win. model 12 12ga. to a Beretta O/U 20ga. with 26 inch barrels imp/mod choke to make it more fun. I averaged 23 out of 25 hits for the season from then on. Not bad for at the time a $271.00 gun. Don't need a cannon to shoot little clay targets.
            The 2nd Amendment is my license to carry

Comment

The sreaming bargin in your price range, The Valdiz over an unders imported from Turkey by Briley in Houston for the Academey stores. Excellent fit, and finish, amazing oiled walnut stocks, 5 choke tubes. I picked mine selected from 5 in the box at Academy, and they all looked great, there is even burl in walnut stocks. I let a retired police officer friend of mine guess value before he could see the brand or orgin, his guess based on fit, finish, and wood, $4000, and you'll look like a pro on the skeet course. Mine did need more shock supression, and a little trigger work, but almost all new guns need that now.
              Last edited by garwha; 01-27-2014, 07:32 PM.

Comment

+2 on the 870. It is the standard for inexpensive and reliable shotguns. They've been making them for so long all the bugs have been worked out, nuked, burned, buried and the ash scattered into the ocean.
                http://georgiacarry.org/
                The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Comment

I shoot the clay invaders with an old 12 ga. Remmy 870 wingmaster and a 12 ga. Winchester 1300 (FN made). Get something you can put a choke on. Most cheap shottys are cylinder bore. They work but adding a bit of choke (Imp/Mod) helped me improve my shooting a lot. 12 or 20. The choice is yours. But when you get serious about it, many use an older over/under instead of a pump.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

Comment

H&R Pardner. Under $200 and I've heard a lot of good about them. If I could sell my rifle I'd be getting one.
                    Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

I will second MTs suggestion. ou can if you are patient find great buys. I have less than $200 in this Mossberg 500. I bought it at a yard sale for around $70, traded off the 28 inch polychoke barrel for a 20 inch accuchoke barrel. Spent something like $20 for uncle mikes sling swivels, sling, Williams optic sights off internet auctions. Then $75 was spent on a Blackhawk Compstock recoil reducing stock on another auction. It is a great shooter and I have used it for everything from turkeys, to clays, to partridge, and home defence. A little patience shopping around and horse trading can make you the shotgun you want.

Last edited by lee1959; 01-27-2014, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Lots of good choices out there. Regular field grade hunting shotguns can be a decent trap gun, preferably with a ribbed barrel. Just depends how far you want to get into trap shooting. It can be a very expensive pastime. Been there done that.
                        TO BE UNARMED IS TO BE A VICTIM

Comment

870 Remington ftw!
                          "Character is much easier kept than recovered." Thomas Paine

Comment

I had a pardner pump I picked up for $139 on a Father's Day sale. Great reliable gun never had any issues. I sold it because my shoulder couldn't keep up too well with a shotgun after a couple surgeries but I never ha an issue with it

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                              I had a pardner pump I picked up for $139 on a Father's Day sale. Great reliable gun never had any issues. I sold it because my shoulder couldn't keep up too well with a shotgun after a couple surgeries but I never ha an issue with it
                              I have one of these too. We needed one to learn with and the price of entry was unbeatable. The Pardner Pump is an all steel 870. Everything is the same except the threads on the barrel. Yes, the shotgun guys at the range called it a 2x4 (they had Benelli's), but it shoots straight and doesn't jam. It's a tad heavy, but hey, it's a $150 shotgun.
                              NRA Range Safety Officer

Comment

Working...
                              X