Stevens 350 Sec. Pump. First Impressions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stevens 350 Sec. Pump. First Impressions

Picked up my Stevens 350 at FFL today. This post is not a comprehensive review but simply my first thoughts after unpacking and assembling the barrel. Finish of the firearm is not blued but matt black type finish. It is acceptable for the price point. Altogether the shotgun seems well made with its steel receiver and synthetic stock. Ghost ring sights will take some getting use to but for a defensive weapon point shooting accurately will be most likely achieved with practice.

As I assembled the barrel I noticed something that could have been a problem if I had continued to install the barrel without correcting. The tube locking cap was installed with just a few turns on the tube cross threaded. I removed it and re installed it turning it completely down with just light finger pressure after cleaning the cap threads and tube. If someone did not notice the cross threading and continued to screw it down as required to install the barrel it would have been going back for repairs most likely. Why did an inspector not notice this at the factory I do not know. It was obvious to my old eyes at a glance. Well after threading the cap on and off several time to insure no foul was done I felt better but it did give me pause as to the quality of the assembly.

Over all I am satisfied at this point. Looking forward to some range time with it and we will see. One thing about the bottom ejection and loading similar to the Ithaca 37 based action is I do not see as of yet a good way to speed load this thing if needed. Also because the tube cap is also the locking mechanism for the barrel a tube extension seems not possible. Also the slide release while well placed at the front of the trigger guard, is thin metal and not the most comfortable to use. The safely behind the trigger guard protrudes significantly and may take some getting use to also. While none of these negatives are a deal breaker at this price point, they could have been better engineered in my humble opinion.
    "If ya always do what ya always have done you will always get what ya always got"

Re: Stevens 350 Sec. Pump. First Impressions

wheres the pics rick???
    Last edited by JONESN; 02-17-2015, 08:29 PM.
    Certified Armed Infidel Willing and Able ISIS Eliminator!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JONESN View Post
      wheres the pics rick???
      Will post some tomorrow as I get up at 4 am and am about to head to bed. "For now this is a stock photo of the shotgun.Click image for larger version

Name:	stev350security12g.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	599283
      "If ya always do what ya always have done you will always get what ya always got"

Comment

I've seen a video of someone loading two rounds into a Mossberg 500 at one time but don't see the point of it. The beauty of a pump shotgun is you can reload at any time you have a break in firing - you don't have to wait until it's empty.
        AFAIK both the Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 (and their equivalent lower priced versions) have magazine extensions yet the barrel is attached the same way you describe the Stevens.

FWIW, I did a lot of research before buying my shotgun. Especially with limited funds I would buy either the Mossberg Maverick 88 (what I actually bought) or a H&R Pardner. Stevens wasn't even in the running.
        Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

Originally posted by shooterrick View Post
          Will post some tomorrow as I get up at 4 am and am about to head to bed. "For now this is a stock photo of the shotgun.[ATTACH=CONFIG]6523[/ATTACH]
          Is that a rifled barrel? Don't know why it has those sights unless it is rifled.
          Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

Originally posted by groberts View Post
            Is that a rifled barrel? Don't know why it has those sights unless it is rifled.
            I googled the specs >
            Rate of twist = n/a so Im thinkn not. My buddy had a scope on a shotgun of his. I thought that was as useless as having a spoiler on a tank! LOLOLOLOL
            Certified Armed Infidel Willing and Able ISIS Eliminator!!!!

Comment

The beauty of a pump shotgun is you can reload at any time you have a break in firing - you don't have to wait until it's empty.
              And you can't do that with an auto shotgun, hmm?

Comment

The beauty of a pump shotgun is you can reload at any time you have a break in firing - you don't have to wait until it's empty.
                I can do that with my double barrel coach gun. It doesn't have ejectors
                Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Comment

Originally posted by stidgun View Post
                  And you can't do that with an auto shotgun, hmm?
                  Well since an auto shotgun is basically a auto-pump shotgun you certainly can. Unless it is magazine fed and then no you can't.
                  Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael T View Post
                    I can do that with my double barrel coach gun. It doesn't have ejectors
                    Really? One shot? I thank that violates every movie use of a double barrel I have seen.
                    Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

Really? One shot? I thank that violates every movie use of a double barrel I have seen.

That's correct! In the movies, you don't have to reload.
                      Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Originally posted by mitchr View Post
                        That's correct! In the movies, you don't have to reload.
                        And then there is youtube as well. Revolver shooting with Jerry Miculek Cut straight to the revolver shoot at this link or watch the whole video below.
                        http://youtu.be/uiC7EGJGjvs?t=3m41s

http://youtu.be/uiC7EGJGjvs
                        Certified Armed Infidel .
                        WARNING: All my ammo contains bacon grease for a one way ticket to hell!
                        45/70 when Bacon is still on the hoof. Here Piggie Piggie and ISIS pigs.

Comment

Originally posted by gtgeorge View Post
                          And then there is youtube as well. Revolver shooting with Jerry Miculek Cut straight to the revolver shoot at this link or watch the whole video below.
                          http://youtu.be/uiC7EGJGjvs?t=3m41s

http://youtu.be/uiC7EGJGjvs
                          And I saw nothing out of the ordinary. That's how I go to sleep every night. But my picture is of an Amigo with mesquite grips.
                          W.W.MT.D-----WHAT WOULD MICHAEL T DO?
                          NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Comment

Originally posted by R.Ph. 380 View Post
                            And I saw nothing out of the ordinary. That's how I go to sleep every night. But my picture is of an Amigo with mesquite grips.
                            I think we all live that way Bill I have been working on my hand loading though but not sure if Jerry was crapping or loading.
                            Certified Armed Infidel .
                            WARNING: All my ammo contains bacon grease for a one way ticket to hell!
                            45/70 when Bacon is still on the hoof. Here Piggie Piggie and ISIS pigs.

Comment

Ok here are the pics of the tube barrel lock cap, slide release, ghost sights the front fiber optic is green, and safety. Since this will be used to defend a position along with my handgun and rifle 4+1 some report 5+1 but manufacturer says 4+ I will just have to hope 5 rounds of buck, 20 rounds of 40 /sw, 30 rnds of 7.62x39 will be sufficient. LOL
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150218_163836_721.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	599285Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150218_163828_485.jpg
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	599286Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150218_163522_351.jpg
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	599287Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150218_163750_724.jpg
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	599288Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150218_163611_242 (1).jpg
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	599289

Comment

Working...
                              X