Shotgun stock manufacturers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shotgun stock manufacturers

Does anyone know of someone who makes replacement stocks for old shotguns? I have an old H&R 1900 .410 shotgun with a broken stock. I found that Boyd's had them, but theirs doesn't fit. (It looks like there are two styles, a 'wide' and a 'narrow' tang version. They make the 'wide'.)

Any leads on other stock manufacturers? Thanks.

Re: Shotgun stock manufacturers

Did you talk to anyone at Boyds? Sometimes some other stock will fit just fine. I had a Remington 750 and bought wood stocks from Boyds. IIRC neither the forend nor the stock were for the 750 and neither were for the same gun. I think the forend was for an 850.
    Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

Originally posted by groberts View Post
      Did you talk to anyone at Boyds? Sometimes some other stock will fit just fine. I had a Remington 750 and bought wood stocks from Boyds. IIRC neither the forend nor the stock were for the 750 and neither were for the same gun. I think the forend was for an 850.
      Yes, I talked to them both before and after I ordered the part. The stock was listed as requiring a longer bolt than what was on mine, but we figured I could countersink the hole and be OK. They did not have an H&K stock other than the one that I ordered.

Comment

I bought a 410 Remington pump with a broken stock .Years back. When I found the stock was twice ,what I paid for gun. Took a piece of walnut and made a pistol grip for it. Then 18 1/2 " barrel and had a weapon my girls could use at home for SD. I could shoot it 1 handed. After girls got older I was offered way more than I had in it . So I sold it. .

Point you made find not worth the time or money to fix.
        Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Comment

I know its not worth the money to fix it. Its a sentimental thing. The gun was my father's when he was a kid. His father gave it to him. It probably haven't been fired in 60 years.

Comment

Numrich gun parts sometimes has parts like this. Or being an H&R you could find a doner one at a pawn shop or flea market. Being a shotgun guy, I think given the story it is worth fixing even if it takes awhile to find the right part. Good Luck!

Comment

I've fixed a few guns that cost way more than they were worth for various reasons. Troll the auction sites every couple of days. You may find a cheap one or a parts gun any time.

Another option if you're handy or skilled in such things is color match some bedding and bed it in to the wide tang stock. Harder to match if it's a Boyds laminate though.

Stoopid phone.
              "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Comment

I've tried Numrich, and while they do have some parts for the H&R 1900, they never have a stock for it. Fitting the shotgun to the wide tang stock would be difficult. The stock itself is too wide and to tall for the action. I guess I'll just keep looking. Thanks for trying.

Comment

You did not say the nature of the break, and if all the wood is present. The wonderful thing about wood is properly executed it is possible to repair a bread in wood to a state that is stronger than original. Look at a bridge on a 3000 dollar guitar, and the stress of the strings it bears. They are epoxied on to the guitar.

Comment

Mine needed a different bolt toos but Boyds sent me one for free.
                    Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

Originally posted by garwha View Post
                      You did not say the nature of the break, and if all the wood is present. The wonderful thing about wood is properly executed it is possible to repair a bread in wood to a state that is stronger than original. Look at a bridge on a 3000 dollar guitar, and the stress of the strings it bears. They are epoxied on to the guitar.
                      I have broken a few radio control balsa wood airplanes. I repair them with medium CA and the repair is stronger than the regular wood. You can try that. Go to a hobby store and get an 1/8 ounce bottle of medium CA. Apply it liberally on one side and quickly put the two sides together. Hold it for a minute then let it dry a few hours. Don't get it on your fingers or clothes.
                      Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

On the subject of repair, if it is indeed repairable Brownells has some good stuff. There is a brass pin kit that reinforces a crack or break, its like a long aggressive screw. When you finish it off it looks like a brass dot in the wood. I did one once and added a second one so it was symmetrical. It just looked like a decoration that was meant to be there.

Stoopid phone.
                        "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Comment

Working...
                        X