Looking for Shotgun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for Shotgun

I am mostly a pistol guy. Have a couple rifles. Got rid of the shotgun a few years ago due to shoulder issues, but have worked on that a bit and thinking I want to get a shotgun again.

I'm wanting a nice classic look wood stock pump. Not a big fan of the synthetics and adjustable stocks and whatnot.

I'm basically trying to decide between an 870 or mossberg 500. Anyone have any big reason why one would be better than the other? I'm familiar with the 870 safety and slide lock but can easily learn a new firearm function.

The mossberg sells a combo with a 26" barrel and 18.5" barrel. Like the idea of having the longer barrel for dove if I decide but this will be for the house and just fun shooting.

Another reason to want to get the gun is I might be going to Instructor school soon and I would like to be more familiar with shotgun operation. That hase leaning towards the 870 as that's what we have at work. But the only main differences I have noticed is the safety, slide lock and the mossberg does not allow for magazine extenders without a longer barrel.

So, shotgun experts (or those that play one on TV). What input do we have?

Re: Looking for Shotgun

The old Rem 1100 is still hard to beat. I bought mine at JC Penneys for $199 around 1976.
    Its a gas operated gun that has a very light recoil.....I could shoot all afternoon (12 ga) without a worry.
    If I took the SxS shooting....after about 5 or 6 shots I would be black and blue.
    Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

I'm no expert but I have a 500 and have never had any issues with it. The only reason I chose it over an 870 is I got a great deal. 500s do seem to be less expensive than 870s, especially when looking at wood stocked versions. If your department uses the 870 you should probably go that route but don't turn down a good deal on a 500 if one comes along. Having one barrel for hunting/trap/skeet/sporting clays and another 18.5'' for defense is a nice option and makes the shotgun much more versatile.

You really can't go wrong with either, they'll both get the job done.
      Cogito, ergo armatus sum. I think, therefore I am armed.

Comment

I have shot both. I like both. I say prowl the pawn shops and see what fits your budget best. Most pawn shop shotguns are low milage around here and are picked up cheaply. You can dress either one up as you wish. I do agree with Brojohn on the 1100. I don't have one yet, but I like them a lot. Just waiting to walk across a deal on one.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

Comment

I've had my 500 for 30 years and never had an issue as far as reliability.
          The double bead on the rib makes it function a little like a rifle sight.
          I owned an 870 for a few years but in all honesty, it felt to me, like a 2x4 with a barrel attached.
          I could never get comfortable with it.

Comment

I am a pistol guy as well and don't shoot rifles or shoties much. My first gun purchase for home defense in the 90's after a 20 year break was a new Remington 870 Express 20" with plastic gear. It is good. My next shotie was a 20" barrel used Wingmaster with wood. It is Great! Much smoother, feels better, shoulders better. Shoots great. I think the fact that I don't shoot the Express much is why it is tighter and not as smooth. I also picked up a used police Wingmaster and I like that as well. A bit loose but it runs great.

There is a sweet looking 870, 26" for sale on the Michigan gun forum for $225. If you get a short barrel it will cost what?? $150 - $200?? It has been a while since I looked for barrels. I would search for something used with both barrels already.

Comment

There's the old debate about a man stopper. 12GA 00 is a better stopper.
              Retired and hunkering in.

Comment

I like my old Ithaca Model 37 Deerslayer than I inherited from my FIL. Its pump action shoots wonderfully and feels good, too. I'm sure the deer and birds have other opinions though.
                Never give the devil a ride. He will always want to drive.

Comment

Mossberg has been making hi-quality firearms at reasonable prices since 1919. I currently have my 2nd Mossberg shotgun. Can't say enough good about them.
                  TO BE UNARMED IS TO BE A VICTIM

Comment

I like the Mossberg personally it is my user, the safety is in an excellent position for use when shouldering the weapon. But, if your main rifle/carbine has a crossbolt safety you may wish to go 870 for commonality. They have tons of barrels, but I have settled on a 20 inch accuchoke barrel for all uses from slugs and buck for defense, to shot for partridge and turkey. I like the wood too, but practicality has forced synthetic on me in the form of Blackhawk Compstock recoil reducing for old arthritic shoulders. I also use Truglo Turkey sight systems as I leanred how to shoot clays and birds on a rifle sighted Savage over and under.

Go pump, they will fire every load available without slowing down, which autos wont.

Comment

I looked at both when I bought my Maverick. I like Remington so was real interested in the H&R Pardner. Price seemed to be the only real difference. I read both forums for several months. The nice thing about the Maverick is it can use all the Mossberg add-ons and Mossberg seems to have more of those than Remington. A friend has the Mossberg and not only got both barrels but also the hand grip replacement for the butt stock. Butt stock and 26 inch barrel for hunting, hand grip and 18.5 inch barrel for home defense.
                      The only thing I don't like about my Maverick is the plastic stock. And Remington does have some great wood stocks.
                      Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

I have a wood stock Maverick Mossberg which is the same as the 500 pump but sold by Western Auto in the day. I got mine for free when my brother-in-law died last year and I was tasked with cleaning out his apartment. It had a sawed off barrel and I brought a new 18.5" barrel.
                        Retired and hunkering in.

Comment

Remington. With the stunt Mossberg is trying to pull since they bought the drop in trigger group patent from cmc I'll never buy another Mossberg again.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/mos...ger-companies/

Comment

TheRe: Looking for Shotgun

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8096https://i.imgsafe.org/34dcd3c521.jpg

Just got back from picking up an 80's Remington 870 Sportsman. Got it with a 28" and 18" barrel from a nice retired guy along with a box of buck and bird shot
                            Attached Files

Comment

Re: TheRe: Looking for Shotgun

Nice, John! The older the 870 the better, IMHO.
                              Never give the devil a ride. He will always want to drive.

Comment

Working...
                              X