Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What loads for home defense?

Hey All,
    I have a Winchester 1300 Defender 12 ga. What loads should I use for home use? I don't really want to use slugs or OO and figured that maybe #4 or #6 would not go to far after it hits the wall.
    This is new stuff tme.
    Marc
    Firestorm .22 Matte
    BT .380 Duo-Tone
    BT .380CC Nickle
    9MM UC PRO Matte
    Colt Combat Com .45
    plus others
    MSG Retired
    US Army 9/81 thru 5/05
    Iraq 2/04 to1/05

Re: What loads for home defense?

any and all loads!
    Certified Armed Infidel Willing and Able ISIS Eliminator!!!!

Comment

No smaller than #4 buck OO is still the best. Why are you hitting wall shot gun needs to be aimed. You get approx 1" per yd spread no matter the choke at close ranges (inside house) They are not alley sweepers or room cleaner . I will not use a shot gun except from fix position. No house clearing to easy to get taken away . I use a pistol in side I also use night lights or leave lights on at different locations .
      Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Comment

Since my shotguns first use is turkey hunting,I use my turkey loads for home defense.Federal Premium 3" magnum #4s with a 2oz load of lead.

Comment

Do not believe the myth that shotguns do not penetrate the wall. In my CHL class they showed a real life mockup of a wall in which #4 blew a nice hole clear theough the wall. Also MT is right. In the size of a normal room the spread of the shot is not a room clearer. The impact area of the shots will be between 3 to 5". you still need to aim the shots to ensure a hit. Now with that being said there is nothing like the roar of a shotgun to inspire terror.
          Retired and hunkering in.

Comment

Quote: "nothing like the roar of a shotgun to inspire terror."

'Course, the sound of a .45 ain't bad.
            Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

OO buck is probably the most common answer, but some consider 4 buck the best choice. Since you mentioned #4 and #6 together, I understand it to mean you are referring to birdshot. 4 buckshot is not the same as #4 birdshot.

00 buck, .33" dia., 9 pellets per oz.
              4 buck, .24" dia., 21 pellets per oz.
              4 bird, .129 dia, 135 pellets per oz.

I just didn't want you to confuse the two since you will probably see 4 buck suggested sometimes.

Comment

You don't need any ammo. Just rack the thing and every bad guy within 6 miles will immediately crap themselves and run. If you put a laser on it they will lay down and die for you.

It's true. I read it on the internet lots of times.

Really I have #4 buck in mine. I selected that only because I got a deal on a case. 00 buck would be just fine too.
                "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Comment

i have pretty much the same gun..... i keep mine stocked with home loaded 3" mags loaded with mix of #2 and #4 buck (got the idea from some home defense rounds that came with 2 n 4) but if using factory ammo i would probably choose #4... spread will be about the same as 00 but coverage is improved and if you hit COM with a load of #4 buck i don't think they will walk away.
                  i keep 2&4 in first 3 rounds with the remaining being slugs

as to wall penetration if it won't penetrate an inch of drywall how the heck it gonna go through clothes meat an bone?

many choose birdshot... to me thats bad idea (been shot at close range in the leg with #6...no major injuries and had to walk 1/2 mile back home) even without my own experience look at cheney's buddy..... birdshot to the face and a few days later he's apologizin on tv....don't get me wrong it gonna hurt like hell and may even give you a larger coverage area but wounds most likely to be shallow and not immediately life threatening.... i'd grab my 22 before usin birdshot

box'o'truth did a test of drywall penetration and shotgun rounds i suggest reading it its fairly informative
                  Barack Obama is the first politician I have ever known that has met or exceeded every one of my expectations. As bad as I thought he would be, I truly had no idea.

Comment

In your bedroom the "roar" of a .22 is enough to make the BGs at least mess them self's a little. A cop-bud of mine has said his 2 biggest surprises with shooting in small rooms is the sound (unprotected ears) and the muzzle flash.

Comment

Originally posted by Mason View Post
                      In your bedroom the "roar" of a .22 is enough to make the BGs at least mess them self's a little. A cop-bud of mine has said his 2 biggest surprises with shooting in small rooms is the sound (unprotected ears) and the muzzle flash.
                      thats why i no longer keep my 357 by the bed.... shot some of my hot loads at night and it was nearly 5 min before i could see again.. in my shotgun loads for defense i use low flash powder it makes a HUGE difference in the dark....can still see after firing.... as to the noise well not much i can do there with the shotgun however i have some rounds for my rifles that are quieter than most 22's
                      Barack Obama is the first politician I have ever known that has met or exceeded every one of my expectations. As bad as I thought he would be, I truly had no idea.

Comment

And with the MT pointy light.. You could bore the BG to death showing him details of the spread sheet that you have up on the board.

Comment

I use any 2.3/4" 00 buck with the low brass a good one is Federal Tactical. No full loads or magnums required. 12 or 20 GA. fine.

Like MT said these are best if you know where your targets coming from...through the front (Side) door and you are in a defensive and ready position. (Remember the movie Kill Bill) That is what a shot gun is good for. Damn that rock salt must have hurt her.
                          In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Yote View Post
                            Since my shotguns first use is turkey hunting,I use my turkey loads for home defense.Federal Premium 3" magnum #4s with a 2oz load of lead.
                            Whoa! I tried shooting some 3" loads with 000 buck and it sure packed a punch ..... well at least my shoulder was sore! I still have it loaded up with 3" but I am going to shoot them out and put 2 3/4" 00 back in it.

-Pondy

Comment

In my Mossy 500 it goes like this:

First two = #4 Buck
                              Second two = 00 Buck
                              Last three = 1oz. Slug
                              Quaato - What is it about 'shall not be infringed' that you do not understand?

Comment

Working...
                              X