So, what do you think of this one?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, what do you think of this one?

I bought this pistol from a good friend I work with...160$, pretty much brand new. He bought it five years ago, NIB, put 18 rounds through it, and put it back into his gun safe and never shot it again. I will be taking it to the range Monday morning.

It is a Zastava M70A, in 9mm Luger. I took it apart and cleaned it...seemed like a well built all-steel gun. The only problem is that the 9mm version of these pistols seem to have a severe magazine shortage. Sadly, it only came with one magazine, but at least that one magazine seems to be made of melted down T-34 tanks! Lol.

I've never seen one of those, but I have had several Zastava rifles, still have two of them. They are excellent quality, fit and finish. One of them I still have is a bolt action .22, and the mags are a bear to find for it too. The other is a Mauser 98 clone, awesome rifle.
    "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Comment

I shot one for those about 9 years ago at the club, fit and finish was impressive and great accuracy. The trigger was clean and crisp. I think the member still has it. Let us know how yours shoots.
      In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

Comment

Sorry I'm late to the party
        I picked up the compact version M-88 at a pawn shop in Oct 2011. Great good quality accurate pistol. The trigger was a little gritty but was an easy fix and a fun gun until my son shot it (then it became his go to 9).
        Here is some research obtained from The Firing Line dtd March 24, 2010, 01:29 AM which was helpful in getting magazine info. Hope it can be helpful.

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=32570.0
        (M-88 pictures and teardown)
        March 24, 2010, 01:29 AM (the firing line)
        The 88 is (or until recently, was) being imported by EAA. The originals were sold by SARCO, and have the original Crvena Zastava logo on the slide. They are, in fact, Tokarev "Commanders." They are mechanically identical to A Tokarev and are just the right size for a nice, compact carry 9mm.
        FYI, magazines for the Norinco 213 9mm Tokarevs (the short mags) will fit and function perfectly in these, but don't have the finger rest floorplate.
        CDNN (cheaper than dirt) item
        Tokarev 213 9mm 8rd Narrow Mag New Norinco
        Item# NOR213FLAT
        $19.99
        Zastava M88A Tokarev type pistol chambered in 9mm (9x19mm Parabellum/Luger/NATO). The M88A is an all-steel, single action only, single stack, compact handgun. This pistol can trace back its roots to the original Russian/Soviet Tokarev TT30 and TT33. The TT30 itself was a modified Browning M1911 design, so in an indirect way, the M88A shares some characteristics with that famous handgun. In the late 1950s, Zastava of Yugoslavia began producing a licensed built version of the Tokarev known as the M57, for that nation's military and police. The M57 was similar to the original, but had an improved takedown method and longer grip with 1 additional round. The design continued to evolve with the M67 and M70 series. In 1987, Zastava first introduced the M88, intended both for the military and for international sales. The M88 was basically a scaled down M57 and chambered for the very popular 9mm cartridge. The M88 has been produced from time to time from that period onward. Originally E.A.A. imported the pistol, but more recently, Arsenal Inc. has taken over the dueties. The M88A is identical to the original military M88, but has a slide mounted safety. Please note this is a factory safety and Zastava has always offered the pistol with or without safety as an option. The safety physically blocks both the firing pin and sear so it is possible to engage it with the hammer down or to carry the pistol 'cocked & locked' like a 1911. The M88A is well made and reliable. It is combat accurate and easy to handle. It is produced by a company with over 100 years of experience with firearms. This is just a basic steel SAO Tokarev/1911 style pistol with few frills or extras. It does have a large mag release button and dovetailed sights. Grips are made of a rough textured polymer and I at least, find them very comfortable. Pistol comes with 1 - 8 rd steel magazine.
        regards jab
        Long story short, jab is a male.
        Active member in Bersa Forums since 03-13-2005.

Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

The pistol shot very well this morning. The sights are your typical sucky "military" style, but doable. I ran 4 magazines of ball and one magazine of Federal 115 grain JHP's, and all ran 100%.

Zastavaarmsusa.com is a up and coming website for them, and when I shot them an e-mail about when they will have magazines and such available, I got a response that just said "soon"....crossing my fingers.

I downloaded their PDF version of their catalog, and this pistol, as well as other rifles and pistols, are still being made and cataloged by them. I will keep an eye on this website, for I want to order a couple more of these magazines for this pistol. I am very happy with how it shoots and handles.

Comment

Working...
          X