A 1911 for Christmas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A 1911 for Christmas

Been looking at a 5" 1911 in .45 to add to the stable. It's an American thing you know.
    Pretty sure it's going to be a Springfield loaded model with the parkerized finish. I really like my EMP4 in 9mm
    and thought it was time she had a big brother.

Montani Semper Liberi

WVSurveyor, you won't be disappointed with the Springfield Loaded, I have several 1911's including Kimbers and Colts and the Springfield Loaded model is my favorite.
    I am a certified armed infidel!!

Comment

For Christmas?.......yeah, sounds good to me. I recently bought a $10 ticket on a Colt Gov't model from a local Combat Vets association. The drawing is the 4th.....and my birthday is the 6th!......and Christmas is just a few weeks away! Yeah, that would be nice.
      Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

Good luck on the Colt brojohn.
        Regardless though, the $10 went to a good cause.
        Happy birthday also.
        Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

brojohn, if you win you can call it a Hanukkah present.
          Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

Went to a local gun store yesterday and handled the Springfield loaded. Felt real nice but wasn't crazy about the parkerized finish or the night sights. The sights were small tritium inserts without any highlighted rings. Would probably be OK at night but didn't particularly like them for daytime range work.
            I'm leaning now towards the Range Officer Elite Operator. A little pricier but really sweet and also has the GI spring/guide rod instead of a full length rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Does it have the lock in the main spring housing? This adds about 1# to the trigger pull. Supposedly an easy fix, but I decided to keep my GI Springfield as stock.
              Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Don't know about the lock in the main spring housing. The trigger is a skeleton G-2 trigger. I can't find a pull weight but all the reviewers say it is "crisp and clean". If you want to look it up the # is PI9131E.
                Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

You'd know it if it had it. It'll be a small hole for a "key" in the main spring housing, similar to the ILS on Bersas. I see that they specify it for the Mil Spec, which I have, but do not say anything about it for the one you are looking at.

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

The new RO Elite Operator is on order. Tracking # says it should arrive tomorrow. Also got a couple extra Wilson Combat 8 round mags
                    and 1000 rounds of 230 gr. FMJ ammo. Psyched for its arrival. I'll let you know mitchr about the main spring housing lock. I'm betting it has one but
                    we'll see.
                    Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Here's the new 1911. It does not have the main spring housing lock mitchr.

Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Noted. If I'd known the Mil-Spec had it, may have not bought it, but ordered thru Davidson's & didn't realize it until I picked it up. Odd that they'd put it on what is hyped to be a close copy of original GI version.

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Originally posted by WVSurveyor View Post
                          Here's the new 1911. It does not have the main spring housing lock mitchr.
                          Very nice! I can't wait for the range report!!

Comment

Got home today from a couple afternoon appointments and had about an 1-1/2 of daylight left. I had field stripped, cleaned and lubed the weapon last night to get it ready to shoot. Man was that slide tight. Took all I had to manipulate it. I racked it as many times as I could stand to in hopes of loosening it up some.
                            Anyway, I grabbed two boxes of S&B 230 gr. FMJ and all four mags, two factory Springfield 7 rounders and two Wilson Combat 8 rounders. I ran out to our range behind by friend's shop and let her go after the dueling tree and some swinging metal targets. Shot all 100 rounds, through all four mags, without any issue at all. Very pleased . The pistols weight handles the .45 very well and makes for some soft shooting. Trigger is sweet with short positive reset.
                            The one thing that surprised me is that I hit the steel targets much more solid using a combat sight hold. The manual indicates it's sighted for a 6 o'clock hold and that's what works best on my Springfield EMP4. No big deal, most of my weapons work on the combat sight picture.
                            Next time I'll take some paper targets and try it from a solid rest just to see what works best. But for now, so far so good.
                            It did loosen up where it is now tolerable. I'm sure it will smooth out even more as the round count increases.
                            Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

Working...
                            X