Replacing Mag Catch on AC Government *important*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing Mag Catch on AC Government *important*

I picked up an Ed Brown Checkered Mag Catch part 854 Blue and a Colt mag catch lock and Wilson Combat Mag Catch spring.
    Trying to fix my Fail to Feed issues on an American Classic Government (not the II).

The Ed Brown is NOT a Drop In for this Pistol.
    Everything is slightly too big.
    I Sanded and Filed (the part not the frame) getting everything to fit.
    The right side tab that has the locking screw has to be reprofiled all around.

The BUTTON is also too big around.
    Took me a minute to figure that one out.
    Work slowly!

Anyway...
    After getting it installed, the Factory ACT Mag is SUPER TIGHT and difficult to release.
    Chip McCormick Mag not surprisingly is tight but seems like it will loosen up a bit and work fine.
    I am planning to work with it for a while before trying to adjust the inside mag lockup (it is larger than the Factory Catch too).

Does that sound like a good plan?
    I'm not even a bad amateur gunsmith :)

Re: Replacing Mag Catch on AC Government *important*

I recently installed an Ed Brown extended mag catch in my Colt Government Model and had to do a little fitting, pretty much exactly as you described. My advice is not to do anything to the inside mag lockup, as it will wear in as you use it. I use my GM in IPSC-type competition using Chip McCormick 10-rounders and it didn't take long until everything was running as smooth as could be.

I'd take the cheapest mag you have (probably that ACT mag) and just insert and drop over & over while watching TV or something. It won't take long to smooth things out.

Comment

I just ordered an EGW stainless HD extended, I doubt it will be a drop in either, going to use the original mag catch lock and spring if I can

Comment

I wonder if a Colt will fit with out work. The pistol is suppose to be 1911 compatible and that normally means Colt . Ed and them use their own specs. so you must fit.
        Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Comment

When I tried to swap the mag catches on my A/C & Colt, the Colt mag catch was too large MT.
          Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

interresting
            Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Comment

I'm pretty sure that Reynersons installed a colt Mag Catch on mine.
              It was pretty tight when I got it and I have been breaking it in.

(I switched mine back to factory when I sent it in)

Comment

I spent about 2 hours with an arkansa stone to shave the diameter of the button on the new EGW. it is in and looks like it is going to do exactly what I had hope for

Comment

I got a colt mag catch release of E-Bay, dropped right in and worked fine.
                  I got rid of the extended size, went standard.

Comment

Originally posted by stidgun View Post
                    I got a colt mag catch release of E-Bay, dropped right in and worked fine.
                    I got rid of the extended size, went standard.
                    I wonder why the one out of my Colt wouldn't fit? Of course, I didn't try forcing it. When I called Reynersons they said they sometimes replaced the AC mag release with an after market one & they sometimes needed fitting. I supposed it can vary with the pistol?
                    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

The round hole in my frame wasn't completely round, after shaving the button down on mine it would go in at certain rotations but not others, I thought that was unusual for a drillied hole. I guess they filed it at the factory.

Comment

Working...
                      X