Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bobtails, arched and flat housings etc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    bobtails, arched and flat housings etc

    Ok i don't wanna get to be a pain in the @ss but I'm having a very hard time in picking out and purchasing my first 1911 so much so that i'm consideering even building my own
    right now my options are kind of limited (but my old boats up for sale and as soon as it sells I'll be in the cash burning hole in the empty shelf of my gunsafe mode)
    Right now there is a plane jane RIA compact tactical model and a RIA commander tactical model on the shelf at LGS either i could put in layaway theres also a basic springfield GI model although if i wanted a fullsize i'd buy the AC

    my questions are

    do the RIA guns make a good base for further upgrades?

    compact vs commander....(i would definately be thinking very hard about doing a bobtail to the commander as my buddy has the jig and i've got access to the tools)

    flat msh vs arched msh

    buiding my own instead-- where to get and how much for a matched frame and slide?
    I've priced them seperate at brownells but haven't seen any pre-matched sets

    with so many things out there that can be done with these guns the whole brew your own thing really appeals to me but if it would be more cost effective to start with an inexpensive model like the RIA then thats where I'll probably go....... just looking for some input
    Barack Obama is the first politician I have ever known that has met or exceeded every one of my expectations. As bad as I thought he would be, I truly had no idea.

    #2
    If you're gonna build it, go with a Caspian frame/slide set. I believe my next one I am going to lap myself though.
    I think a RIA would be a great pistol to start tinkering with as well.
    "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

    Comment


      #3
      I would use a American classic to build GI models have small sights cost a lot to change to good sights AC has novak type and novakColt is suppose to fit I haven tried that yet
      If to be a carry gun I choose Commander size 41/4 barrel make sitting a little easier. Yes 3/4" makes a difference I also like the balance . As for bob tail you have one choice Bobtail no arch or flat Its flat and bobtailed . These are officer nainspring housings modified Ed brown owns them.
      Build Well thats a lot of work to do right takes some special tools unless you just want a frankinstine pistol

      Fussion will sell you a commander fit Slide to frame fitted barrel and bushing fitted I belive he will even bob tail if you talk to him. This still leaves a lot of smaller parts to be fitted and of course finish of metal.

      You using quality parts will come it at about 1200 Or you can build a junker from used mix match parts for a few hundred Fussion will build you one I guessing around 1500 WoW a Colt Commander cost around 8 to 9 hundred and you can bobtail if desired A American Classic Commander will be alittle over 500 and can be bobtailed and will likely shoot better than either of us can shoot. Don't let burning a whole in pocket win Look check and pick carefully

      I want to do a American classic bobtail with a few changes just for fun
      Certified Armed Infidel


      “Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.


      John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

      The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

      11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

      "Just say "Lay A Way"

      "WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

      SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS



      TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

      Comment


        #4
        if i knew when i could get an american classic commander I probably wouldn't be considering the RIA guns..i'd be asking CGW how much for a bobtail and a few minor upgrades to suit my taste
        o well... maybe i'll sit on the cash.....
        Barack Obama is the first politician I have ever known that has met or exceeded every one of my expectations. As bad as I thought he would be, I truly had no idea.

        Comment


          #5
          The American Classic Commanders are due to land 1 st week in April Then they will be distributed to whole sale and on to dealer Have your Dealer start calling I bet buds will show up with some of the first ones

          Thats the last word I had
          Certified Armed Infidel


          “Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.


          John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

          The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

          11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

          "Just say "Lay A Way"

          "WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

          SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS



          TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Michael T View Post
            The American Classic Commanders are due to land 1 st week in April Then they will be distributed to whole sale and on to dealer Have your Dealer start calling I bet buds will show up with some of the first ones

            Thats the last word I had
            Just the Commanders or all the new line ?
            I want a Trophy.
            jr

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Muddog View Post
              Ok i don't wanna get to be a pain in the @ss but I'm having a very hard time in picking out and purchasing my first 1911 so much so that i'm consideering even building my own
              right now my options are kind of limited (but my old boats up for sale and as soon as it sells I'll be in the cash burning hole in the empty shelf of my gunsafe mode)
              Right now there is a plane jane RIA compact tactical model and a RIA commander tactical model on the shelf at LGS either i could put in layaway theres also a basic springfield GI model although if i wanted a fullsize i'd buy the AC

              my questions are

              do the RIA guns make a good base for further upgrades?

              compact vs commander....(i would definately be thinking very hard about doing a bobtail to the commander as my buddy has the jig and i've got access to the tools)

              flat msh vs arched msh

              buiding my own instead-- where to get and how much for a matched frame and slide?
              I've priced them seperate at brownells but haven't seen any pre-matched sets

              with so many things out there that can be done with these guns the whole brew your own thing really appeals to me but if it would be more cost effective to start with an inexpensive model like the RIA then thats where I'll probably go....... just looking for some input
              Isn't it Caspian that will sell you a matched frame and slide set? Even pre fit the barrell if I remember right.

              Bill
              W.W.MT.D-----WHAT WOULD MICHAEL T DO?
              NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

              Comment


                #8
                Caspin as I remember will just fit the slide and frame I haven't look at the catalog in couple years so might have changed but they don't sell barrels so I don't see that

                Bob at fusion has Kits where the barrel is fitted as is the bushing Remember He was the owner of DanWesson and sold it to CZ and started this company
                Certified Armed Infidel


                “Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.


                John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

                The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

                11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

                "Just say "Lay A Way"

                "WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

                SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS



                TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by jrtraderny View Post
                  Just the Commanders or all the new line ?
                  I want a Trophy.
                  jr
                  $814.99 at GI guns and ammo web site.
                  http://www.gi-guns.com/american-clas...d-p-17950.html
                  "Deus vult!"

                  NRA Life Member

                  Comment


                    #10
                    $814.99?? Don't think so. That's about $140 above MSRP. For another $20-$30 can get a Springfield Champion SS Loaded & no freight.
                    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

                    Certified Armed Infidel

                    Right Wing Extremist

                    Comment


                      #11
                      http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/a...ssic&x=18&y=13
                      Friday a thief, Sunday a king

                      Comment


                        #12
                        That's more like it at Buds. Those are the mil-spec pistols & if I thought my wife would let me have both, I'd get the chrome job while it's available & then the commander with blue finish when they come in. But, alas, she wouldn't understand.

                        That other outfit knows that demand is going to be high & expects to make a killing. I got no problem with that, but just not from me. :)
                        Think Green.......Recycle Congress

                        Certified Armed Infidel

                        Right Wing Extremist

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Michael T View Post
                          Caspin as I remember will just fit the slide and frame I haven't look at the catalog in couple years so might have changed but they don't sell barrels so I don't see that

                          Bob at fusion has Kits where the barrel is fitted as is the bushing Remember He was the owner of DanWesson and sold it to CZ and started this company
                          I had Fusion fit a 40S&W barrel and bushing to my Colt 10mm within the last month. Bob had the work done and my pistol returned to me in a week. He was great to deal with in every respect. If I were even considering building my own 1911, I'd start with Fusion.
                          NRA Endowment Member

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Fusion

                            As mentioned in the BT forum -- am getting a Fusion longslide hunter in 10 with a 40 barrel fitted as well -- should be a real winner (& my total 2010 firearms budget) -- should be ready about June, can't wait! Gonna have a when it gets here !

                            1) Never point (aim) a firearm at anything you do not plan to KILL !
                            2) The only safe firearm is one with action open !

                            Comment


                              #15
                              +1 for Fusion. Not exactly cheap but they do have an exceptional product.
                              sigpic
                              1,000 Posts on Bersatalk.com

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X