RIA and grip safety question????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIA and grip safety question????

My RIA mid-sized (bought used) has (had) a fully fitted beavertail grip safety. Unfortunately, I discovered that the GS did not work (had been filed too far at some point--maybe on purpose), so I tried a Wilson drop-in GS, which works perfectly. My dilemma is that there is a gap between the drop-in safety and the frame that just does not look good (though it does not affect the feel or function). I'd like to figure out what kind of GS had been fitted on the pistol and get that "factory look" back. I tried a Wilson 298B GS, but it obviously does not fit (the hole for the pin will not line up because the frame extends too far back). So, that tells me that the GS that had been fitted was not a WC. Any ideas on how to figure out what kind will work? I can't find any markings on the old GS to identify the maker, part #, or anything else. I picked up the Wilson 298B for cheap on eBay but I don't want to just keep buying GS's til I find one that fits. As I noted, the drop-in works great, so I'm not in a big rush-- just want to get it done eventually. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by drband; 10-13-2013, 12:51 PM. Reason: spelling
    Load, Shoot, Clean, Repeat...

Re: RIA and grip safety question????

Finally found it (the exact match for mine) on Brownell's site: STI - 1911 AUTO COMPETITION GRIP SAFETY
    One is on the way. Definitely my GS. I should have been more careful when looking before!

Comment

If it doesn't work, can you get one from Armscor?
      Certified Armed Infidel
      كافر

Comment

Hi... it's not an Armscor part. The previous owner customized this pistol extensively and I'm discovering all the ins and outs of it. WC trigger, WC magwell, OD green cerakote, Hogue grips, pretty sure it's got a WC hammer and sear, Trijicon night sights, and this STI grip safety. The midsize RIA did not come with a beavertail like their current tactical models--so I knew it was aftermarket, just had to figure out which one! I'm 99.99% sure I've got this right after examining the zoomed photos on Brownell's site. I should have done that before trying the WC-- but I'll sell that one and not be out any $$. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

one pass to many and its junk I know from experience. Now the pro can do it
          Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Comment

You are so right MT!

Comment

GS arrived Wed. Installed with minor fitting. It was not exactly like my previous one, but it matches well and looks like it was made for the gun. I'm happy! Everything functions and fits properly now!

Comment

Working...
              X