Recoil Spring for RIA officers model

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recoil Spring for RIA officers model

I bought a new in the box RIA officer model 1911, and the gun works great, with one exception! The Recoil spring was just a little weak, that would cause the weapon not to go into battery on occasion. The round would just stop short of full insertion into the chamber. Easily solved with a slight tap on the slide. I had a gun smith install a heaver spring, and now I have a different problem. The spring is so heavy that the slide wouldn't come back far enough back to pick up the next round! I am left with the slide all the way forward without a round in the chamber. Also after this spring was installed, It took great pressure to lock the slide to the rear!!
    This problem has to be the recoil spring tension! Can somebody tell me what what spring I need? The one that came with the gun (RIA Officers Model) was just a tad to week, causing a short cambering problem. Just like most gun owners, I want reliability! When I pull the trigger I want a round to go forward. Someone please give me a poundage of the recoil spring I need to get to make this machine work the way it was designed!

Re: Recoil Spring for RIA officers model

Go to wolf They have a pack of different weight springs I would guess 20 about right I think pack starts at 18 1/2 and goes to 24 lb

Make sure you extractor correct tension and feed ramp and chamber are smooth no burrs or real rough spot NO Dremel tools near the pistol.

You can find on internet hot to check and adjust extractor if needed
    Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Comment

You didn't say if it was broken in yet. They sometimes need to be run 'wet' (extra oil on the rails) until broken in. You might try that with the original spring & see if it helps.

I had the 4" Government model which I guess is a different setup than the Officer model, but a heavier spring that the warranty center put in it didn't turn out so well on mine.
      Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

22 lbs.

Comment

Find a REAL smith! Just swapping out springs could be only the beginning. And that's if the original is the only problem.

They come in different weight ratings, as well as lengths. At that point, they pretty much need to be 'tuned' to the individual gun.

-

The other option is sending it back to Armscor here in Nevada . . . lifetime warrantee. It may take a few weeks, but you end up with a gun that functions, and any other parts replaced as needed, as well as a free ramp and chamber polish by one of their in-house gunsmiths.
          God made the Garand!

USN Gunner's Mate 1976-80

Moderator - nevadashooters.com

Comment

I also have the 4" MS model. I would suggest putting the original spring back in and shooting the heck out of it. Then sending to armscor if it does not clear up. Might save you some down time (and be a lot more fun)! Good luck. I love my RIA.
            Load, Shoot, Clean, Repeat...

Comment

I concur, but the original spring back in and address the actual issue. As stated by others it may just need to be shot some run a little wet.
              "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Comment

Working...
              X