tight AC Commander

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: tight AC Commander

The Academy in Longview was in line with gun stores, but that was a few years ago. Walmart was cheaper, but Freedom Munitions even cheaper, so that's where I've gone for last few years. 'Course, since I don't shoot as much lately, haven't needed much ammo.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Found a way to verify that the issue is a tight bushing. I chalked the slide open about 1/2" by putting a wooden dowel into the ejection port.
      This moved the bushing down the barrel about 1/2" Then I depressed the plug and spun the bushing to easily remove spring/plug.
      As long as the bushing isn't in contact with the barrel where it mates for lockup, it will spin. I replaced the bushing with the one from my 5" AC.
      ZERO ISSUES with disassembly.
      Now....do I send it off for $25 UPS charge & lost time, or buy a $20 bushing locally and be done? Seems like a no brainer,
      but if the new bushing is also tight, I just wasted $20. BTW...the bushing measures just .001" greater than the barrel.
      Will check to see how much a smith wants to hone the factory bushing to fit.

How much clearance should there be? I'm sure more than .001".

Comment

If deemed defective, Eagle may send you a new bushing at no charge. Some accurate measurements might help determine that. At any rate, never hurts to ask. Personally, I'd try honing the bushing out myself & if I screwed it up, could still buy a new one. Keep in mind, less is best. Hone & test, hone & test. That clearance between bushing & barrel affects accuracy, so worse case, a very inaccurate Commander.

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

I would contact Eagle Imports. I expect they will drop a new bushing in the mail. They sent a new bushing for my MAC Bullseye. Easy.

Comment

I've done a bunch of research on this now. Accuracy wise, the tighter the better. That stands to reason. But I bought this Commander for EDC, I don't need bullseye accuracy & would prefer easier disassembly. Good suggestion on trying it myself....a wee bit at a time. Worst case scenario, I'll need to buy a bushing.
            I won't end up with "a very inaccurate Commander" no matter how many times I have to try. Combat accuracy will be fine with me. Will call Eagle on Monday too.
            Thanks Mitch!

Comment

The bushing is different between the commander and the full size. While you can assemble it the full size bushing should be longer than the commander.
              Certified Armed Infidel .
              WARNING: All my ammo contains bacon grease for a one way ticket to hell!
              45/70 when Bacon is still on the hoof. Here Piggie Piggie and ISIS pigs.

Comment

Going to local smith Monday. I'll let him measure it & maybe hone it a bit. Worst case scenario, he most likely has a bushing in stock that will suit my desires.
                Thanks to all for the chat, I've learned a bunch.
                When I asked these questions over on1911 Forum, I got flamed for not wanting a gun that was so hard to tear down.

Comment

Originally posted by texas solo View Post
                  Going to local smith Monday. I'll let him measure it & maybe hone it a bit. Worst case scenario, he most likely has a bushing in stock that will suit my desires.
                  Thanks to all for the chat, I've learned a bunch.
                  When I asked these questions over on1911 Forum, I got flamed for not wanting a gun that was so hard to tear down.
                  A lotta snobs on the 1911 forum & why I don't go there anymore. I still get "highlights" emailed to me which just serve to remind me why I don't go there.

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

HUGE UPDATE..
                    For those who followed this thread, I went to a local smith today. Even he couldn't turn the bushing....with a wrench!
                    He wanted $80 to hone it out to fit. Humm....Eagle Imports is sending me new bushing, so I got nothing to lose.
                    I put some 600 grit sandpaper on a Dremel and worked it slowly. Test, turn, test, turn, repeat.
                    I got to where it's easy with a wrench and just a bit snug by hand.

Thanks to all who chimed in here, I appreciate it.

Comment

Sounds like you've got it handled.

I go to the 1911forum (the grey one) now and then. It's nowhere near as snobbish as Gloque talk. But I think unless you're already an expert or you spent $3,000 on your 1911, you'll be largely ignored.
                      Certified Armed Infidel
                      كافر

Comment

Got another 150 rds on the new Commander today. First two mags went into a 2" circle, so no accuracy issues with my repair.
                        I also tried a lighter spring, but it caused issues, FTE's, FTF's. I put the original #18 spring back in and the issues cleared up.

Comment

Working...
                        X