No announcement yet.

American Classic II, Don't Underestimate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Must have been a typo...The Boeing B52 over Berlin in WWII? Nice pistol OP!

Comment

I'm going to disagree about JMB carrying a 1911 with the hammer in the 1/2 cock notch with a round chambered. No way he would require his gun to be hammer dropped with thumb down on a live round after pulling the trigger. Totally unsafe action to do. Show me where he ever stated that was how he designed it to be carried. Rediculousness!

Comment

Well the US Army didn't think at the time it was "ridiculous".

You always hear that the hammer should never be manually cocked or lowered...but it was checkered specifically for that purpose.
        The original, wide hammer spur also provided square, non-slip places for using the thumb and finger "pinch" method of lowering it. It was not, as many believe, to add mass and insure reliable ignition. The narrow hammer and full-power mainspring are fully up to the task. The wide spur was removed simply because it was more expensive to make than narrow spurred hammers...especially after "blanking" became the accepted method of production.

Due to the change to the narrow spur in today's modern production 1911's I decided to carry cocked and locked and have done this for 50+ years. I will have to dig around to see if I can come up with a copy but I personally read years ago in an old archived U.S. Army 1911 manual showing instructions using this exact method of dropping the spur.

ALSO as PHM said in post 10, "interestingly, many don't know that the original design submitted for testing to the military didn't have a thumb safety, only the grip safety."

A member here "1911 Tuner" also stated this was JMB's designed method. And he is one man I respect for his superior wisdom on the 1911.

Everyone here should carry and handle their firearm as they see fit, their ability to operate it safely falls solely on them.
        Last edited by Reginald Carstairs; 10-23-2019, 07:08 PM.
        In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

Comment

With practice, dropping a spur hammer down with a live round in the chamber, can be done safely, but today's most common hammer, that I see, is a small bobbed hammer which I would not trust myself lowering, even with thumb & finger. I have a Remington Commander with a spur hammer, but why learn a different process when carrying it, than I have with another 1911? I carry it cocked & locked, same as my others.

I have an extra hole in my shop overhead door because Marty, after practicing every day for over a week with her empty Sig P238, decided to load it up. She did have the presence of mind to do it outside & with the pistol pointing in a direction to do the least damage. She carries it cocked & locked.
          Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

The army said they wanted a grip safety and JMB added it to satisfy them. The army was cavalry on horses back in the day. No way the army wanted their troops thumb cocking 1911's on horses. I need proof to think anything otherwise.

Comment

Working...
            X