American Classic XB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American Classic XB

It seems there have not been any postings about American Classics in quite a while, so I think I'll break the ice. A decade ago I was at a gun show and actually saw the American Classic Trophy and was very tempted to buy it. At the time I only owned 9mm and 22lr handguns and a 357 revolver so I was trying to limit my calibers for economic reasons and 45acp was twice the price of 9mm so I foolishly passed it up. A couple years later I had a chance to rent a 45 at a local range and found out I liked the platform and started shopping around for one. Online was my only option for the AC Trophy and the price was up to $700 on them so I ended up getting the Remington R1 in stainless from Sportsman's Warehouse on a “Hot” sale for $500 minus a $50 rebate. It's been flawless and a joy to shoot so no regrets. A couple weeks ago one of the local shops got in a used American Classic in hard chrome and was asking $525 for it and I was really considering picking it up. If it had been a Trophy I wouldn't have hesitated but I decided to do a little checking to see what else was out there. I checked on Armslist and found a Classic XB (14+1 capacity) for $500 used but unfired at a shop in Las Vegas. The guy I talked to was extremely helpful and let me know that it had come in on consignment and had been sitting in the back for six months when the “Covid-19 rush” happened so they put it out at a discount. They were more than happy to ship it to me in Sparks, and I picked it up four days later. The fit and finish is very good and it is at least a tight if not more so than my Remington. The grip is not that much larger and fits my large hand quite well and it is actually more comfortable to shoot as well as being equally accurate. I have added a couple extra magazines as well as a Hogue grip made for the Para P-14 which only required a bit of sanding on the underside to make for a nice tight fit. I also ordered the Mag well for the MAC 3011 from Eagle Imports which should be here by Friday. Big thanks to the lady at Eagle who put me in touch with Colorado Gun Works as the Mag well requires a different mainspring housing as well as the screw to attach the Mag well. She added those to my order without any additional shipping, very nice of her to do. Hopefully I will get to put some more rounds down range this weekend when it cools off a bit, going to be 97 today. AC XB left.jpg
    AC XB right.jpg
    Attached Files

Nice looking pistol! Range reports are welcome!
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Got back to the range yesterday, 30mph winds with gusts over 40 from behind my right shoulder so my accuracy stunk. On the upside, the gun functioned perfectly through the first two mags and then took a big poop on the third. She don't like aluminum cased ammo. Wouldn't chamber and got hung up trying to feed. I think I'll stick with brass. Other than being windy, it was actually a good trip to the range since by the time I set up, I was the only one there. No one else showed up until just before I packed up to leave. I was at the Carson City Rifle Range which just re-opened last month after completing their $800k worth of improvements. They had to raise the berms and they put in concrete bases on the pistol range for the targets at 7 and 25 yards. They will be adding 3, 5 and 50 yard blocks soon. They also provide target stands with cardboard backers which keep the target at a 5-6 foot height to prevent ricochets from bouncing over the berm. Really a nice set up with a 40 station 300yd rifle range, 20 covered and 20 open, a 10 station covered 50yd pistol range as well as four 50yd pits. The range is open Thursday thru Sunday from 8am to 6pm and a Range Officer is there at all times. He is a City Park employee and patrols all three ranges so the hot and cold calls are left to the shooters which is nice. 1911 target (2).jpg

Comment

From what you describe, not bad shootin'. Looks about like one of my targets on a good day. Don't know why some pistols reject aluminum cased ammo, mine didn't have a problem with it. 'Course, I didn't shoot a lot of it because I didn't see a big savings on price & I donated my brass to one of the range officers.
        Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

I don't have but maybe 150 rounds of aluminum since I was buying mostly at Walmart and they lowered the price on Federal Brass to the point it was cheaper than the aluminum. I think I can run the rest of it through my Thunder 45 since it never seemed to have problems with any ammo at all.

Comment

Working...
          X