Apparent recall on the Llama Micro-Max 380

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome Don_Loud ,

Thanks for the input. Hopefully you will get satisfaction soon. Please keep us updated.
    regards jab
    Long story short, jab is a male.
    Active member in Bersa Forums since 03-13-2005.

Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

Welcome to Bersa Chat don_loud & thanks for the update. I would think that finding the solution & repairing all the recalls, would take some time, more than just a normal warranty repair. In another sub forum here, we are hearing 6 months to a year for routine repairs for other manufacturers.
      Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Thank You all for your support. I fully intend on keeping you guys in the loop on this one.
        I am really looking forward to getting the new pistol in a few weeks!

Don_Loud
        Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Comment

All,

Just a quick note here, posting on 9/6/19, with the current updates...

8/16/19: I wrote and heard from the folks at Eagle, at that time they stated : "We are still hoping to see something soon. Samples should be arriving soon for testing. Then replacement would arrive soon after."

8/21/19: I asked how the replacement would be distributed back to folks like myself (recall that I sent mine in to repair back in April, it will NEVER be returned), the answer was "The replacements will go to American Arsenal and Armory first then to your dealer. We have some samples coming next week so hopefully these test perfectly."

9/5/19: I asked how the testing came out, and inquired about the delivery time line... to date, no answer back.

Will post when I hear more from them.

Don_Loud

Comment

All,

It is 9/11/19, 18 years since the attack, and I have just heard back from the fine folks at Eagle Imports. As you may recall, the week of August 26th, the "test samples" were supposed to arrive and be tested. I inquired a week later as to how that testing went... here is the answer I received today... drum roll please...
            "Good Morning,
            We have not heard good or bad....so I am taking that as a good sign? Hopefully, we will hearing something soon.
            Thank you for your patience."

As Sonny & Cher famously said... "and the beat goes on..."

Don_Loud

Comment

Well, it's been 3 months since this thread was started. I once had a pistol in a warranty shop for 7 months because the staked front sight went missing at the range. Things happen & we just hafta roll with the punches.
              Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

The story continues...

Personal Note here (read: soap box mode on!): The most troubling thing about this entire situation is NOT that the gun (well, run of guns) had a major issue resulting in a recall of of an unknown quantity of these pistols... NOPE, the problem I have with this is that the importers, Eagle Imports, has only reached out to me ONE TIME during this entire 6 month ordeal... It has been me, the guy who shelled out $400 for this weapon, that has been initiating every single correspondence. Its my impression that they would have never reached out at all had I not filed an email on their website May 1st, virtually 30 days into the event.
                I cant imagine that I am the only poor soul that is stuck in this situation, and I can't comprehend why Eagle Imports did not create some sort of "news letter" to those of us in this situation to at least somewhat keep us aware of what is/was going on. I believe that this would have not only been pro-active, but good, dare I say great, PR for those of us left waiting and wondering! (soap box mode off!)

On 9/18/19: I wrote back to Eagle Imports:
                "I am hoping that you have heard something regarding the test samples by now, can you share anything on how that went? Hopefully, everyone is getting closer to determining the delivery time line, can you share anything on that time line yet?"
                Here is the reply:
                "Good Afternoon: We still are waiting for the report and findings. I do apologize for the delay. Hopefully, we will hear something early next week. We at Eagle do appreciate your patience during this period of time."

On 9/26/19: I again wrote to Eagle Imports:
                "Can you share anything on how the test samples fared?"
                Their response was: "What I have been told is next week we will be receiving guns from the factory to for the exchanges. Please allow shipping, receiving and delivery time to American Arsenal and Armory. We here at Eagle appreciate your patience during this time."

I will be writing to them again, probably on Tuesday (10-8-19) to find out "the rest of the story"....

Don_Loud

Comment

I got my little MicroMax back. They shipped it directly to me, said an FFL in Idaho is not needed. It is just as nice as the original and has a fantastic light, crisp trigger. And they sent it with TWO magazines, so now I have three. I LOVE THIS LITTLE GUN TO DEATH!

IMG_1623 (002).JPG IMG_1624.JPG larger1x.jpg larger2.jpg IMG_0727.JPG

Comment

Glad it's resolved. My Micromax has Ecuadorian Air Force wings engraved on the frame.
                    W.W.MT.D-----WHAT WOULD MICHAEL T DO?
                    NRA PATRON LIFE MEMBER

Comment

All,
                      Well, the saga appear to be on "final approach". Last evening I received a package, via UPS, and it contained my replacement Micromax. I forgot how much oil they pack these things in! I will likely be putting quite a few rounds through it this evening or tomorrow morning. I will let the group know how things turn out!

Side Note: Cap & Ball, I really like that holster above, can you tell me about it?

Don_Loud

Comment

The holster is from AZULA GUN HOLSTERS made in South Africa, number 938.
                        https://azulagunholsters.com/product...-belt-holster/
                        It is a very high-quality holster, fits the gun snugly and keeps the little gun tucked in tight to the body. It was quite snug, and I like my holsters fairly loose for a quick draw ... just a little retention. I am 71 and will not be rolling around on a floor or standing on my head. I wrapped the gun in a couple of socks, crammed it into the holster (actually pounded it in), let it sit over night, and now it is perfect for me. Still has some good retention, but a very smooth, quick draw. It carries the gun high enough to be completely concealed when wearing a largish vest, long-tailed sweat shirt or even a long tailed long-sleeve Tshirt from Duluth. It does not dig the muzzle into a seat when sitting. Love it, but seldom use it. I prefer to carry my 380's in a strong-side outside large flap pocket of my jacket or vest.

Comment

Morning all,

I did not get the chance last evening, so at first light this morning I took the new Micro-Max to my usual spot to give this thing a thorough test firing and break it in, I had 250 round with me.

As luck would have it, I experienced the exact same failure, the thumb safety on the left side fell off, this time on the 7th round!
                          I was fully loaded (7+1), and as the gun went to chamber the last round in the mag, it was not a complete feed. I went to seat it, the safety came off in my hand. Pictures were taken within 5 minutes of this happening, I cleared the weapon and put it back in the case and returned home. I emailed the representative from Eagle within moments of my arrival home
                          :

I wish I had good news to report, but we had the exact same failure again. The safety, on the left side, literally sheared itself off. This happened when the gun was attempting to chamber the 8th round. This time I was able to recover the safety because it fell off in my hand while i was attempting to seat the slide.
                          In summary, during the course of emptying the very first magazine, the gun failed again. I took pictures right away, and I have attached them to this email.
                          Where do we go from here?”

Needless to say, the problem has NOT been solved, and I am not sure I want to travel down this road again!

Don_Loud
                          Attached Files

Comment

This is bad news. I haven't fired mine yet. I hope I don't have this bad safety problem. But the recall was not to address anything with the safety. It was expressly to address the fact that the slides on some guns had been hardened to the point of being brittle and cracking.

Where do we go from here? Probably contact Eagle Imports and they will most likely just send a new safety. I know that Eagle did thoroughly test these replacement guns (at least they told me they had, and probably only a few of them), firing hundreds of rounds to determine if the slides would crack. It seems obvious that they did not encounter this.

I just had all of my upper teeth extracted and am going through the ordeal of getting an upper denture plate settled in, gums healing, denture being repeatedly adjusted as my gums heal, shrink, whatever, eating lots of soup, mashed potatoes and the like. But when I do make it to the range I will take at least 200 rounds along ... and pray.

Comment

I guess to answer my question you would need to look thru a microscope ...but was the safety failure the result of shearing metal or brittle breaking?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

I am dumbfounded by the broken safety issue. Yes, I believe don_loud that it happened to him ... twice. But for the life of me I can't see how or why that would happen. There is no force exerted on the safety by firing the gun. It didn't happen due to flipping the safety on and off hundreds of times, it happened on his first magazine so we know that was not the case. It is a total mystery. Could it be that don_loud is just jinxed?

Comment

Working...
                                X