Apparent recall on the Llama Micro-Max 380

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning all,

Well, maybe I am jinxed, this is indeed the second failure of this type I have experienced. The first time this happened, if you recall, after it was at the repair facility for several weeks, I contacted Eagle directly through their website. I was contacted by the person that was handling this situation and she explained to me that there were issues with cracking slides and snapping safety's, and thus the recall.

I have medium/average sized hands, I wondering if this situation is possibly a mechanical issue. I wonder if the recoil is some how allowing the safety to move slightly upward and attempting seat into the notch on the slide, but somehow not engaging the actual safety, thusly allowing the shot to occur and begin the shearing action on the lever. I don't know, I am not an engineer, but its a possible explanation.

To address the actual testing done on the replacement batch, I asked three separate times how the testing was going:
    • Sept 11th she wrote to me stating: "We have not heard good or bad....so I am taking that as a good sign? Hopefully, we will hearing something soon."
    • On the 18th, after another email from me asking for test results, she wrote: "We still are waiting for the report and findings. I do apologize for the delay. Hopefully, we will hear something early next week."
    • On the 26th, I asked again about the testing, and she wrote back that same day stating: "What I have been told is next week we will be receiving guns from the factory to for the exchanges. Please allow shipping, receiving and delivery time to American Arsenal and Armory."
    • Seems I never really got any real answer to the testing, but the inference was that it went well.
    In the UPS box, along with the plastic case with the pistol in it, there was a note from the American Arsenal & Armory, its on orange paper. Cap & Ball, check your paperwork, you should have gotten one as well. Its basically a small document stating the Model & Serial# of the replacement firearm as well as the Model & Serial# of the firearm it replaced. At the bottom of the slip is simple but (perhaps) telling statement:
    "This replacement firearm has been forwarded directly from the distributors warehouse without any further quality control inspections or performance inspections being performed at this warranty center. Please inspect and test fire your replacement firearm. If you should experience any issues, please notify us at the contact information above"

Tomorrow I will be turning this orange document into a pdf, I will attach it to my next posting, which should be in a couple days when they respond back to my email from yesterday. I tried calling them (Eagle in New Jersey) yesterday when I got home from shooting, no joy and apparently they will be taking tomorrow, Columbus Day, off.

I don't know, at this time I believe a refund is probably the best course of action for me, but I will see what they come up with and go from there!

Don_Loud
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Comment

Originally posted by don_loud View Post
      I have medium/average sized hands, I wondering if this situation is possibly a mechanical issue. I wonder if the recoil is some how allowing the safety to move slightly upward and attempting seat into the notch on the slide, but somehow not engaging the actual safety, thusly allowing the shot to occur and begin the shearing action on the lever. I don't know, I am not an engineer, but its a possible explanation.

Don_Loud
      I thought about this as well, and tried and tried to make that happen while working my slide. I noticed that the safety can be elevated slightly without passing the detent to full engagement while the hammer was fully cocked, resulting in the very top of the safety coming within a hair of being whacked by the slide coming back under recoil and allowing the trigger to be pulled while in that position. But try as I might, I could not make my slide actually contact the safety when the trigger was pulled. It always passed cleanly over the top of the safety by a hair. Any further slight effort to place the safety higher resulted in it snapping through the detent to full engagement.

I suppose, given that on my gun we are talking about only a hair's clearance in that instance, that differences in tolerance / fitting of the safeties gun-to-gun could be an issue. Possibly.

Don, I would hate to see you just ask for a refund at this point. I know it's a pain in the asterisk for you, but it would be great if you could return the gun yet again and give them another shot at correcting the problem. Who knows, it might prompt another recall on another whole batch of guns? It is, after all, a new model and such a SWEET little gun otherwise. It will be so great when they get them to be 100% fully reliable.

It will be at LEAST another full week before I will be able to get to the range to try my gun. My new denture plate is giving me absolute hell. I have had them adjusted twice already to relieve pressure points on the outside of my gums. But there are still two such points of pressure that have shown up as my extractions healed that make it just too painful to leave them in longer than to just get a meal down, and painful to even eat a meal of soft foods like mac & cheese.

I am optimistic, given my experimentation, that my particular gun will be just fine. But who knows? When I corresponded with Eagle asking why the recall, they made no mention of snapping safeties, so this issue is all new to me.

Comment

Good Morning All,

On Monday this week (10-14-19) I recieved a email from the person handling this recall at Eagle. Even though it was a day off, she checked her email, saw the pictures, and sent a quick email stating that she too was not happy, and would be getting back with me after she discussed this matter with her supervisor.

Tuesday morning, she called my cell phone and we spoke for about 20 minutes. First things first, she is sending me a pre-paid box for me to ship the damaged pistol back to the repair facility. Since I have the safety this time, I am sure there will be some forensic's as to what/why the failure. I asked her about the quantity of weapons in this recall originally, and there was a shipment of just over 400, most of them still at the distributors warehouses, and they went back to the shipment prior to to this batch, approx 200 weapons. As of the phone call, mine was the only failure of the "replacement" pistols.

In regards to "where do we go from here?", she presented me with 3 options:I have been mulling this one over, the test fired option is appealing to me, however... My lovely bride of 35 years is never going to trust or put that weapon in her hands. She is Detroit Sicilian, and trust is a big thing in her book! I think you can tell which way the wind is blowing here!

I have let her, the person at Eagle Imports, know that I will be asking for the refund. If she (my wife) cant trust it and will never shoot it, then its not something I want in our home!

All, I am closing the door on this subject. I hope that anyone who reads this in the passing years, takes this for what it is, a presentation of the facts, and my eventual decision to move away from this particular weapon.

In my last posting, I mentioned the orange document that was in with the replacement pistol, it is attached to this post.

Don_Loud

Warranty Center Return Pack Slip.pdf

Comment

Don: And I thought I was the only one. I purchased my Micromax brand new at a gun show in New Orleans 3 weeks ago. Before I could shoot a full mag, the thumb safety just fell out of the frame. I did manage to find the spring. Took it home. Re-installed the parts. Back to the range, same failure after 5 rounds. This has happened 4 times. Actually, every time I've shot this pistol. I disassembled the thumb safety, and removed the grip safety to see if I could identify a cause. NADA. I made sure that the right and left thumb safeties were aligned and mated properly. And, I made sure that the mating shafts were
          "snugged up" tight. It made NO difference whatsoever.
          Two things:
          1- the tips on the thumb safety spring are different in shape and size. I tried installing it both ways but to no affect. However, Looking at schematics and my Browning .380 1911, I believe that the larger tip belongs to the thumb safety and small tip of the spring should face the slide stop.
          2- there is a fair amount lateral "play" in the grip safety. The shaft, formed by the thumb safeties, is a loose fit for the grip safety hole. Additionally,
          The side-to-side fit of the grip safety where it touches the rear of the frame could be much tighter. When I grip my pistol, the grip safety actually moves to the left (I'm right handed)and off center. When the hammer comes back, the right edge of the hammer is hitting the right edge of the grip safety well. There is actual scoring where the hammer is hitting the inside edge of the safety's "scoop" or "well". Considering the loose fit of the grip safety shaft, repeated
          hammer strikes is probably causing the connection point of the two halves of the thumb safeties to fail and thereby allowing the thumb safety on the left side of the pistol to simply FALL OUT. I'll be talking with Eagle and/or Metro first thing next week.
          MEANWHILE.....A simple, temporary fix might be to put a thin washer type shim between the left side of the grip safety shaft hole and the frame wall.

Comment

All, first time back to this thread since November of 2019, and much to my surprise, the thread continues!....

Po'Boy 48, I am shocked to hear that the problem appears to be still present. I hope that you have better luck with your saga than I did. If my journey is any indication, your likely in for a long ride!

I don't regret asking for the refund, while I miss that 1911 styling and the way it actually felt in my hand, I took the money they gave me and picked up a Beretta 85F and have not looked back since!

It would be awesome to hear back from you, would you mind continuing to post to this forum and keep us all in the loop?

Don_Loud

Comment

Working...
            X