Bullet setback

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bullet setback

I noticed last night that I had a setback, on a Factory FMJ 230gr bullet, of .015" after hand cycling a round. I am curios if anyone has noticed this with their MAC 1911? Would this present an unsafe round? Tim

Re: Bullet setback

I don't know if that small setback would mean it's an unsafe round. Some of the reloaders should be along & may know. I noticed it happening with my A/C, but it was due to it not chambering the round & it being driven into the frame at the bottom of the feed ramp. They were setback considerably more than that so I didn't risk shooting them. I've heard that it can happen when unloading & reloading the same round multiple times, but haven't had a problem with that so far.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Originally posted by EMPTY HULL View Post
      I noticed last night that I had a setback, on a Factory FMJ 230gr bullet, of .015" after hand cycling a round. I am curios if anyone has noticed this with their MAC 1911? Would this present an unsafe round? Tim
      Not being a machinist & without getting my feeler gauges out -- I say this. If you can easily see a setback with your naked eye, I'd not shoot them, but dispose of them just to be safe. If not a re-loader or know one with a bullet puller, then throw in bucket of water for a few days before putting in garbage.

One of my hunting buds often picks up brass at a couple of rock pits where the Bubba's gone wild shoot. He picked up about 250-300 rnds. of live 9mm. I gave most of it back to him as they had set-back & 9mm was not worth it to me to pull bullets & save the brass. I only shot up 100 rnds. of them that were normal for the brass. If had been something hard to get, like .357mag or 10mm, I'd gone to the trouble of pulling bullets for the brass.

Always best to be on the safe side with things like this. Just better not to risk a KABOOM!
      1) Never point (aim) a firearm at anything you do not plan to KILL !
      2) The only safe firearm is one with action open !

Comment

Just one bullet, throw it out just to be safe. BUT...If they aren't +P and just a little set back .015, shoot it, it may become a +P doing so. One nice thing is a .45acp is a low pressure round and most guns that shoot it can take a lot more pressure than a .45acp can generate. This is one reason you don't hear of many KABOOMS in a 1911. (unless a wanker loads it to the top with hot powder) then the pressure would be off the charts.
        In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

Comment

Before I started reloading, I chucked set-back rounds. Now I occasionally pull the bullets but only because I can. I don't hand cycle rounds multiple times either. I'd toss that round you have.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

Comment

I brought the MAC1911 and some reloads and factory ammo to the place where I buy ammo and reloading supplies. We cycled the action, checked headspace and OAL and he said it was fine. Odd my reloads only set back 0.013" and fac ammo was 0.015". We pushed a bullet against the counter and it never moved. I was thinking that he would say I needed a FCD die but he said my bullets were fine. I am not convinced yet though. Maybe the angle of the reloading ramp might need to be redone? Tim

Comment

Working...
            X