Metro Arms SPS Pantera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metro Arms SPS Pantera

Some of you may have picked up that I bought a Metro Arms SPS Pantera. I finally got to the range yesterday and shot it. The gun is accurate. Here are the first 2 shots from 10 yards. I quick saved the target before I started shooting like usual!

image.jpg

The grip is big .... almost too big for my tiny hands but I will learn to cope with it!

The gun is closely fit as it is meant to be a "race" gun for competition so I expected some break in issues and I had them. I didn't have time to give it a real tune up before shooting ... just a clean, lube and buff. I fired about 60 rds of American Eagle, 230 gr, FMJ and had lots of FTF's with the nose of the bullet jammed on the feed ramp. Also, the slide doesn't lock back when the mag is empty.

I'll probably give it a cleaning and close inspection to see if I can find anything obvious. I might try some stronger recoil springs. As some point I may send it off to a gun smith and see if they can speed the break in process.

I like the gun and I'm going to keep it. I'm sure I can work out the issues. It sure is pretty!

Here is a copy of my post from the picture thread so you can comment on it if you wish.

Originally posted by Pond Scum View Post
    Okay.... I'm going to risk posting some pictures of my SPS Pantera. I know it isn't a real 1911 since it uses a double stack mag but it is kinda close. And by posting in the picture thread all of you purists can't reply!! Hahaha.

Oh and for Mason, "12 + 1 rounds of 45 ACP! Yeah Baby!!"

[ATTACH]4371[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4372[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4373[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4374[/ATTACH]

Re: Metro Arms SPS Pantera

Sounds a little bit like the nose-dive issues the American Classics had & most turned out to be either a mag issue or a mag release problem. I know some claimed that when they loaded the mags to the max & let them sit a few days, it helped. Others, including yours truly, found excessive up & down movement in an empty mag when seated in the magwell. This was helped by a mag release by EGW that supposedly raised the mag by .020. You just had to make sure it would still clear the ejector. One way you can test for this problem is to push up on the bottom of the mag, while firing & see if the nose-dives go away.
    Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Thanks mitchr! The STI 2011 mags that I ordered just arrived yesterday so I will try them. They solve the problem with the slide lock. Maybe it will take care of the nose dives as well.

Comment

Send it to me Pondy. I will break it in :) after all, what are friends for?
        "Character is much easier kept than recovered." Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Horseshoe View Post
          Send it to me Pondy. I will break it in :) after all, what are friends for?
          Just send me 1000 rounds of 45 and I'll take care of it and save you the trip!

Comment

Just send me 1000 rounds of 45 and I'll take care of it and save you the trip!
            Haha. Good one!

Comment

Stop using a pencil to punch holes in target . every one can see those are not 45 caliber holes but #2 pencil
              Last edited by Michael T; 07-13-2013, 07:24 PM.
              Certified Armed Infidel

“Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.” John F. Kennedy.

John Bernard Books: I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. Words to live by.

The purpose of the pistol is to stop a fight that somebody else has started, almost always at very short range.-Jeff Cooper

11,997 posts on the original Bersa Talk Still the King on total posts.

"Just say "Lay A Way"

"WWJBD" What Would James Bond Do?

SECURE our borders ,DEPORT all illegals STOP IMPORTATION OF HOMELESS MUSLIMS

TIME TO TAKE BACK AMERICA !

Comment

Congrats on the new boomer...I still have a problem when the loaded mag weighs about the same as the gun That is a lot of .45acp in one of those DS mags.
                In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

Comment

Congrats Pondy, she's gorgeous!

Where did you find your STI mags? I've had a couple of the 140mm STI mags on back-order from Dawson for about four months...
                  Thunder .380 CC Nickel

"You give peace a chance. I'll cover your six in case it doesn't work."

Comment

Some of you may have picked up that I bought a Metro Arms SPS Pantera. I finally got to the range yesterday and shot it. The gun is accurate. Here are the first 2 shots from 10 yards. I quick saved the target before I started shooting like usual!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4388[/ATTACH]

The grip is big .... almost too big for my tiny hands but I will learn to cope with it!

The gun is closely fit as it is meant to be a "race" gun for competition so I expected some break in issues and I had them. I didn't have time to give it a real tune up before shooting ... just a clean, lube and buff. I fired about 60 rds of American Eagle, 230 gr, FMJ and had lots of FTF's with the nose of the bullet jammed on the feed ramp. Also, the slide doesn't lock back when the mag is empty.

I'll probably give it a cleaning and close inspection to see if I can find anything obvious. I might try some stronger recoil springs. As some point I may send it off to a gun smith and see if they can speed the break in process.

I like the gun and I'm going to keep it. I'm sure I can work out the issues. It sure is pretty!

Here is a copy of my post from the picture thread so you can comment on it if you wish.
                    Envy, envy, drool............................................. ..I think Congrats.......
                    W.W.MT.D-----WHAT WOULD MICHAEL T DO?
                    NRA GOLDEN EAGLE

Comment

Originally posted by LAZY EYED SNIPER View Post
                      Congrats Pondy, she's gorgeous!

Where did you find your STI mags? I've had a couple of the 140mm STI mags on back-order from Dawson for about four months...
                      Thanks to everyone's kind comments! The gun is pretty .... I just wish I could take pictures like Lazy to do it justice!

I bought the STI mags at Brownell's. I chose the 126 mm so they would be flush with the bottom of the magwell. They sure are pricey but if they work it will be worth it. I may go to the farm tomorrow and with luck I can get in some shooting. I really should stay back and work but all the inlaws will be going and it would be bad form for me to stay back 2 days in a row.

Comment

Go shoot it Pondy. Then when you realize it is indeed too big for your hands I will bring my large hands to claim it

Nice pistol and hope the mags take care of your issues.
                        Certified Armed Infidel .
                        WARNING: All my ammo contains bacon grease for a one way ticket to hell!
                        45/70 when Bacon is still on the hoof. Here Piggie Piggie and ISIS pigs.

Comment

Hey Pondy,

If you send it to me I'll shoot some pics for you...
                          Thunder .380 CC Nickel

Comment

Originally posted by LAZY EYED SNIPER View Post
                            Hey Pondy,

If you send it to me I'll shoot some pics for you...
                            Will you shoot some pictures after you shoot it? Or shoot it then shoot some pictures?

Comment

^ Either way works for me...
                              Thunder .380 CC Nickel

Comment

Working...
                              X