Through the Valley of COVID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Through the Valley of COVID

I haven't been on much lately, but I've got a pretty good excuse. The Princess and I were suddenly booked for an all-expense paid trek through the dark wilderness of COVID-19. Not for nuthin', but given the choice, I'd have picked Chicago.

We came down with the Wuhan Whooping Cough about the same time--shortness of breath and fever. The Princess brings a long list of medical morbidities to the table, so I feared that she would be the worse for wear. I may be old and fat, but I don't have multi-system maladies to contend with everyday as she does. Consequently, I was the stupidly brave holdout. "If I'm going out feet first, it's going to be from right here at home." If you're taking notes, that's not the best thing to say to a worry-wort wife, especially to one who spent 25 years in the nursing ministry. Yet I marvel at the many ways the Lord has of talking sense into His sheep, even dumb goats like me. After a long, lingering gaze into the Princess' teary face, I melted into submission. I decided that this wasn't the hill worth dying on--perhaps it would be easier carrying me out of a valley hospital.

I'll spare you the harrowing ordeal of checking in to the hospital and being stuck in a waiting room for two hours while health care professionals professionally didn't seem to care. You can add your own horror story to the tale, I'm sure. We finally got poked and prodded enough to be ushered into separate private rooms where the real torture could commence. I didn't see the Princess again for days, but thank God for Facetime and a charged-up Iphone.

It didn't take long for them to diagnose viral pneumonia on my scoresheet. COVID compromises the lungs so that all kinds of little imps can get in and do the real damage. The Princess seemed to get off light with just fever and congestion, but with her medical history, a big match was ahead and much of it filled with unforced errors. Jesus had to step into the ring and break it up. In several of her trips to the hospital in time past, I'd noticed that it wasn't so much God helping the professionals do their job, but Him actually stopping them from doing further damage. This time it was not different--a perfect storm of screw-ups.

Some pharmacy aide wrote the wrong dosage into her chart for a medication that would keep her heart running in sync. It really didn't matter....they neglected to give her the pill anyway. That night, she ended up with SVT, her blood pressure at 200 for two hours and lapsing into unconsciousness. She desperately tried some physical maneuvers to lower the threat and find the call button for help. The nurse came in and didn't have a clue what to do. What's worse, she stopped to gawk at some comedy show on TV while the Princess' tragedy ensued. I kid you not. Finally, a scream for oxygen was sent and received, which brought in another nurse who couldn't find a mask. Just before the Princess took a final breath, they got the pure air flowing. Long story short, it was the Princess' quick thinking and Jesus' intervention that won the night. You can bet that a report of this episode has certainly come up in the weekly meeting. I couldn't thank God enough for His mercy when I heard about it the next morning. Even more miraculously, the Princess was discharged and came home the following day. I still had another three days to do.

The good news is that I lost about 20 well-earned pounds from the ordeal. And I've gained a far greater understanding of the frailty of mankind against an enemy we know so little about. I've put this in the Religious Discussion Forum for a reason. Even though this disease has been used for much political fodder, there remains the eternal truth that we are only mudballs who survive by the grace of God every day we awaken on His green Earth. I've walked with the Great Shepherd for almost 40 years now, but am truly amazed at His love, compassion and deliverance from danger at times when we least expect it.

And, as the psalm goes, He "makes me lie down in green pastures." Given the choice, many of us want to forge ahead and not take a rest from the strain and burdens of life. He'll put us on our back if He has to...and it's for our good that we don't fight Him.

The doc says that it might be about three months before the Princess and I are completely over this trip through the valley of the shadow of death. Whatever, I've been taught again not to fear whatever comes, "for Thou art with me."

In closing, I'll make this theological assumption. God never blinks. If He did, for a millisecond of time He would have to take His eyes off of those who love and fear Him. That'll never happen--even to dumb goats like me.

Never give the devil a ride. He will always want to drive.

Heck of a story GS. I wish you both well. As for your hospital and nursing experiences... You know what my wife did and does now for a living. While it is still a calling for many, there is definitely old school and new school in the medical field. My wife shakes her head far too often at today's nurses, techs etc. The education and experience level has become so watered down over the years. She comes homes with far too many stories about such things.

Keep up the fight you two!

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017.

Comment

Wow. Just WOW! Sorry for your tough journey but thank you for posting your amazing story of faith! It is a good time for all of us to remember who is in control!

I always pray for healing of sick friends and family ... and I also pray for doctors, nurses, care takers, and all things technical - People and things that God uses to care for his people.

Comment

Amen.......I am so glad you are firmly "connected" to the life giver. I am happy you folks are on the mend and that spiritually you are in the right hands.
        This is something that Agatha and I have worried about for months- we are still distancing from some family members. I will be so glad when this threat is over. Several folks we know have picked up the woo-hoo flu. So it is a watchful journey every day. We wish you and the misses the very best and may you all stay in the good grace of God.
        Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

Thanks, GS for posting your adventure through the valley. You of all people I know I don't need to say "keep of the faith"
          My Dad was an old school black bag house calling doctor. He said to me never ever trust a doctor and if you go to the hospital get ahold of those charts.
          I guess he was telling his son not to trust him...Go figure. After that he sold his practice and became the first athletic doctor of the University of Central Florida, his advice to me was never to trust a coach but to put your life in the hands of God.

Sometimes just a good warm heating pad can do wonders for recovery. I know a family in Tennessee that makes them. The trouble is I just heard they are out of commission for a while.

GS is that you looking out of the hospital window

BH.JPG
          Last edited by Reginald Carstairs; 10-18-2020, 09:10 AM.
          In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

Comment

Wow, what an experience.
            She and Me would like to wish you and Princess a speedy and complete recovery from .

regards
            Long story short, jab is a male.
            Active member in Bersa Forums since 03-13-2005.

Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

Thanks for posting & thank God for being there for you! Sounds like some serious training is due at your hospital!!
              Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Originally posted by mitchr View Post
                Thanks for posting & thank God for being there for you! Sounds like some serious training is due at your hospital!!
                I have spent probably 150 nights in the hospital with Sue and I've been in the bed about 30 nights over the years. I am a firm believer in having someone with the patient to act as an advocate, listen to the medical folks, help translate & recall what is said, and to help ask questions. Many doctors have a way of talking that needs some translation. It is important to know and understand your treatment and meds which isn't easy when you are the patient, therefore the advocate. AND with Covid the visitor restrictions can make it impossible.

Don't be afraid to ask questions until you get answers you understand. Don't let the doctors (or nurses) push you around. Don't be afraid to refuse pain meds if you don't need them or to ask for them if you need them.

I believe most every of the people are caring and skilled.... maybe overworked and stressed out but good people. We did tell the chief surgical resident to never come back after one of Sue's operations. It caused a bit of a stir but we felt is was justified. I have no doubt that he is an excellent surgeon doing great work ... maybe he is a bit better after dealing with us.

Comment

One of the things I didn't like about the 9 day stay in the hospital for the 1st surgery on my neck. It seemed to really tick them off when I refused pain meds.
                  Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

The Princess seems to making a good recovery. I got on her nerves three times yesterday.

Comment

God is good indeed! Faith is powerful. So glad you and your wife have it in abundance. Glad to hear you're both on the road to recovery despite the inadequacies of the medical community.
                      Montani Semper Liberi

Comment

I'm just glad to hear you made it through.
                        "The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Comment

The true healer of every ailment is Jesus. Whether anyone acknowledges it or not, He uses medical science as his instrument to heal. To God give the glory, or post in the non-religious sections of Bersachat.

Comment

Thanks to Jesus for your healing and for your princess!

Comment

Originally posted by FakeBersaName View Post
                              Whether anyone acknowledges it or not, He uses medical science as his instrument to heal.
                              Since He's the Sovereign God, it's His choice how He wants to do it. Years ago, the Princess was having an abnormal red blood cell count. The docs ran every test they could think of and eliminated the possibilities. Finally, the only test left was a bone marrow biopsy, which meant driving a huge needle into her femur. They said this would conclusively point to the culprit. Everybody knew they meant bone cancer.

Since we were baby Christians at the time, we didn't know enough much about the Bible, but we knew the One who saved us. We saw in James 5:14-15, "Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him."

So, we went to the church and asked the elders to anoint with oil and pray. The Princess said, "Well, that takes care of that!" She called the next day to tell them that the test wouldn't be necessary, as Jesus had healed her.

"Young lady," the white coats said, "you're very sick. We need to know what's wrong with you so we can begin treatments ASAP."

We decided to go ahead and take the test, however unpleasant it was. It would simply prove what she believed to be true.

A couple of days later, we called the clinic and they said the test was "inconclusive" and would have to run another sample. Two days after that, the report came in. "We're not sure what happened," the doc said, "but your blood cell count has returned to normal. There's nothing wrong with you."

"I told you Jesus healed me, but you wouldn't believe me," the Princess said.

How I wish we had that same child-like faith today! We're thankful for what medical science can do, but we mustn't ever forget the God who made the science.

Comment

Working...
                              X