Okra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okra

I have a couple okra plants, label says Cowhorn.
    2 have grown tall. One is 10.8' One is 12'11" both still growing and producing.
    Not sure how unusual? But definitely the tallest I've seen.

Average 3 to 6 feet tall.
    In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

Comment

We planted our first garden in at least 25 years this year- our okra was in the 12+ range. Don't know why? Maybe something in the soil- or something missing?
      When my dad moved here many years ago, his first garden had 12' okra. Before that- when I first bought this plot in '76.....I had a big garden for many years and all my okra was in the 6' range.
      Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

I gave up on gardens years ago. I wasn't a serious gardener & main interest was getting some vine ripen watermelons. 'Course, also planted purple hull peas, yellow squash & tomatoes, which all did well, but I wondered is those were worth the work involved. Racoons liked the watermelons & I didn't mind as long as they left me some.

One year, however, they invited all their friends & relatives from miles around, raided my garden before they got fully ripe & got every single one of them!! That's the last year I put one in.
        Think Green.......Recycle Congress

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Originally posted by mitchr View Post
          main interest was getting some vine ripen watermelons.
          When I was a youngin I picked some vine-ripened watermelons, But I got a load of rock salt in my legs and my back. My Dad had to pick them out at our clinic, then I got chewed out. I got $2 a week for keeping up our orange grove. I had to take it to the black farmer who shot me and he took it, I was hoping he wouldn't. He said next time he would let go with both barrels instead of one.
          Let me tell you something, getting shot with rock salt hurts like hell... For Days! The doctor didn't have any bedside manner either.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

Comment

My grandmother lived with us for a while & my dad hired a lady to help take care of her. She was from Hope, Arkansas & lived with us, going home on weekends. Hope was known for it's watermelons & Tiny's (she was about 4' tall & 250#) folks had a watermelon farm. She invited us to come up & get some watermelons at a better price. I & my brother drove her home & she went in to see her folks. Her dad directed to the watermelons that should be getting ripe & said they were .50 each. We were happy with that 'cause they were $1, or more, back home & paid for 8 of them.

Got back to Tiny's house to say goodbye & she asked how much he charged us. Told her .50 & she said that's what he charges everyone, but we're family. She went with us back out to the melons & we filled the trunk ('48 Chevy 2-door), 2 layers of melons between front & back seat, plus a layer on the back seat! If I remember right, ended up costing us about .10 each!!

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

13' 3" yesterday n growing. Makes picking okra a chalenge.

Comment

Must be something in that Missipi dirt.....ain't you from around Vicksburg? I was raised a little further north on 49 west in a little town called Rome about 20 mi south of Clarksdale. It's all gone now....
                Certified Armed Infidel

Comment

My dad once had tomatoes so high, he used a step ladder!

Certified Armed Infidel

Right Wing Extremist

Comment

Rankin county

Comment

Okra is 14 ft. today.
                      weather staying warm so still going.

Comment

Working...
                      X