Bottom Round Roast

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bottom Round Roast

A tough cut of meat is a bottom round roast. My butcher had some for $2.99 lb.
    So I picked one about 3.5 lbs.

A coating of roasted coriander and some salt then I ran a sous vide for 42 hours at 129. Followed with an ice water bath to cool down the core as to not overcook it on the grill.

A good high temperature sear on all sides brought the core up to serving temperature of 125

Tender and delicious.

Sent from the mothership.

In memory of our Founder, Michael T. June 15, 1946 - February 26, 2017

Did ya have to post such big pictures, RC? And I'm seeing my doc tomorrow for a weigh-in.
    Never give the devil a ride. He will always want to drive.

Comment

Posted via tapatalk, Just logged in on my confuzer. Legal size 756 x 1008

I'll have to admit those photos almost taste good just looking at them.

They come off the sous vide rare, then medium rare after grilling. 100% pasteurized so no fear of bacteria.

Everyone is told to cook hamburger to 165 due to that MAD cow thingy. What you get is a dry brick in a bun. Sous vide the burger for four hours at 129 and it comes out rare, then flash grill it and you have a mouthwatering burger fit for a king. Again 100% pasteurized!

Last edited by Reginald Carstairs; 01-15-2019, 08:40 PM.

Comment

The Princess has heard about an Instapot, which cooks sealed meat in a closed pot at constant temp for hours. The sous-vide circulates the water, but in an open pot so you have to refill water lost to evaporation. Is the circulation really necessary? The Instapot goes for about the same price as a sous-vide.

Comment

Almost no evaporation due to a silicone sealed lid that goes across the container and wraps around the machine.

Also sous vide machines must have circulation. That instapot you're talking about does have circulation but is known not to keep an exact temperature. A sous vide can hold temperature within one tenth of a degree.

I know the instapot goes for, you can get a sous vide for much less if you shop around. Prices have dropped.

You don't need a food vacuum sealer, you can use zipplocks.

My ANOVA died after two years. I'm using a $59. one I got when Costco had them. No blue tooth but it's not really necessary.

Bon appetit

Sent from the mothership.

Comment

I use a 16qt stock pot to sous vide, I just put a piece of plastic wrap over it and get almost no evaporation. I usually don't even bother with it unless I am leaving it overnight or going to work. Evaporation just isn't much of a factor.
            I'm not sure I agree with the ziplock though. I've never tried it, but that sounds shady.
            I totally agree with not needing wireless connectivity. Mine has wifi, I have yet to successfully get it to connect. It works great without it.

"The kindest, most sensitive guy on the entire internet."

Comment

I think the Princess may be taking the bait on the sous vide. We'll swing by Bed, Bath and Behind today.

Comment

Amazon, Sous Vide G&M kitchen essentials $54.95 even If you don't have prime it's free shipping due to the cost.

Rubbermade 12 qt container 19.99

Silicone lid, you can get side mount or corner mount.

The lid works with all brands. this will stop evaporation.
                Last edited by Reginald Carstairs; 01-16-2019, 10:27 AM.

Comment

I really need to move back to Florida and stop by to eat your great looking food RC.!! Err, visit I mean....
                  A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Comment

Working...
                  X